Heart Rate Monitor Question!

Options
I'm interested in buying a heart rate monitor so I can have a more accurate count of my calories burned while exercising. I've seen the watch heart monitors, and I've seen the chest strap heart monitors. Which do you use? Which is better? Please help!

Replies

• mudbugs07
    mudbugs07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The one with the chest strap and watch. The chest strap tend to be the most accurate then just the watch.
  • AshCash803
    Options
    I figured as much. Thank you!
  • cndslee
    cndslee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and LOVE it. it has a chest strap and a watch.
  • kelcro40
    kelcro40 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT4 after reading a lot of threads on here about it.
  • TooLeftFeet
    TooLeftFeet Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I have an FT 4 and I really like it. Then again, I only need basics out of it. For an easy, simple, HRM, it's great and affordable. I caught mine onsale for $60
  • Fr3shStrt
    Fr3shStrt Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Resa52
    Resa52 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    After a lot of research, I just bought a Polar FT4
  • AshCash803
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Polar brand with a chest strap. Rely on it for feedback on how hard your heart is working.
    Don't treat the calorie burn estimate as gospel.
  • GreenEggsNHan
    GreenEggsNHan Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT7 and really like it, except sometimes it doesn't work well if I've forgotten to wash it with soap and water from the previous time...

Also, I've noticed that the calorie burn number is COMPLETELY different on the heart rate monitor than it is on an exercise machine. For example, I worked out for 30 minutes and my Ft7 said 240 calories while the elliptical said 420 calories (or so). I'm sure FT7 is much more accurate but weird that there's such a discrepancy when I put my age and weight into the cardio machine. Anyone else notice this?
  • idontmeanmaybe
    idontmeanmaybe Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar H7 (chest strap) and a BodyMedia Fit. The HRM, as they are wont to do, way overestimates calories burned. I'm very impressed with the accuracy of the BodyMedia, though.