Lost but will keep going

Options
So, today I finally weighed myself after two months of not doing so. I knew what I was getting into, though. It was 4 PM, and with breakfast, lunch and a snack in my system as well as wearing my workout gear, I knew I was going to be at least 5 lbs over what I actually am. So, not counting the extra pounds, I logged in at 190 lbs. This means I gained 5 -10 lbs.

I'm not really sure what I should do. I work out 5 times a week (cardio 5x, strength training 2x, and pilates/yoga 3x a week), and I walk around everywhere. I'm eating healthy, or at least I think I am.

I'm really tired of this, so I decided to make plans to see a nutritionist and a physical trainer. I'm also not going to stop working out. I'll brave it out...But, I admit it's getting harder after seeing this. It doesn't help that my pants don't fit anymore when they fit three weeks ago.

Could it be that exercise is the cause?

Help!

Replies

• nm8962
    nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I tried to view your diary to see if there were any clues there. But it appears that you are not tracking. You really need to keep your diary posted. If you did, you might see for yourself why you are not losing
  • marjoleina
    marjoleina Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    more strength training and less cardio..

Maybe three days a week total body (legs, arms, chest, shoulders, back) and then two days cardio with two rest days..build a program around bench press, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, chin-ups/pullups, etc and incorporate those into your total body routine..

have you calculated your TDEE?
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm eating healthy, or at least I think I am.

Unfortunately, you can't be sure of that unless you log. You'd be surprised at how quickly the cals can add up! The exercise is great, so keep on track with that. Perhaps you're unconsciously eating a lot of carbs, sugars or fats that are hindering your process. I'm not saying these food groups are bad and should be totally avoided! Just that perhaps you're overdoing on them and not noticing. Logging is a pain to get into but eventually it's a great habit to have and you'll be far more sure of yourself. Good luck!
  • desi9837
    desi9837 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    nm8962: I try my best to log my meals when I'm at school, but I've found it near impossible since we have a cook making our meals. However, I will make a concerted effort to do so as it seems the only thing I haven't accounted for...And, yes, you are right. Perhaps if I did, I would see that I'm eating too much.

marjoleina: I'd say between 1800-2500 calories. I eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, and one snack on most days.
  • xprettyreckless
    xprettyreckless Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I totally hear ya, the eating at school/at a cafeteria thing sucks sometimes. You should be able to find the nutritional
    value on the caf's website though. If not, try to log all the ingredients separately. You should be able to get a rough estimate.

2500 seems a little much.. but maybe you're just gaining lean muscle, so that would actually be a good thing!

but I agree with what everybody else said - unless you start tracking, you'll have a hard time figuring out if it's your diet that needs to to be altered. keep exercising though!
  • desi9837
    Options
    Ramberta: Yes, I've come to realize this. I've also come to realize that I such at calculating portions without measuring first :P lol I guess I'll start to make and measure my own food like I do back home...

ndj: I'll see what I can do. Thanks! And, apparently (just checked), my TDEE is 2608 calories... o_o
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Hey youre not giving up...thats the f'en best thing I've heard all day. How can you be defeated if you keep trying?
  • AdrieneJ
    AdrieneJ Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    It's tough when you're not making your own meals, but try to learn what a "portion" looks like, and that might help. Here's a neat website that shows some good examples: http://www.smartweighnutrition.com/2012/11/06/portion-control-cheat-sheet/

Also, I agree 2,500 seems a bit much if you're trying to lose weight. Think seriously about choosing more nutrient-rich foods to fill you up: vegetables (especially cucumbers), water-filled fruits, and drink lots and lots of water. Cut down on soda, too, even the diet stuff. You might be surprised at how much fluid you are retaining because of the extra salt and sugar you are unknowingly consuming. If you drink more water and herbal teas, move around more and eat clean food, the extra fluid should drop off!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others-- you have GOT to use that log to track what you are eating, and measure your foods so you know you are recording accurately. Also, 1200 calories is very low for someone who works out as much as you do. You may need to increase that. First, though, you really do need to get logging so you KNOW what you are eating.
  • desi9837
    Options
    Okay! So, I logged what I ate today plus my workout. I got a net of about 2000 calories.

Also, thank you Adriene for that portion website! I'll use it since I'm too poor (college student here~ ^^) to buy my own food...(meals are included in the rent where I live)
    -
    Idrosophila: 'Cause I know that if I give up, I'll gain more and hate myself more later... o_o Also, thanks :3
  • nm8962
    nm8962 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Desi, Desi, Desi. How is that tracking working for you? You can out your head in the sand, but if you start writing it down, there is no hiding. Whatever food is being prepared by the cook, you search that item as home made & enter the serving size. It may not be accurate, but it's a start. You need to get started.