Hives...may be TMI

Options
Okay. So yesterday around 6 I noticed that I had hives on the back of my things and some on the lower part of my legs and ankels. There wicked itchy. I took some benadryl last night which helped for the most part. When I woke up this morning I looked and now there are more and every where on my legs. And i had a couple small ones on my arms. When getting to work only like half an hour later I checked my arms and now i have more. There are none on my face or stomach (yet) I have not eaten anything that I dont normally eat. I have never had food alergies or anything like that before. I've been looking up information online(Im a paranoid person) and they say that they can last a few days. I dont have any other problems like having a hard time breathing or anything like that. Im at work now and I cant take the benadryl because I will be sooo sleepy. Im planing on calling the doctors this morning just to see what they say but im just nervous it couls be serious :ohwell:

Replies

• hvnsnt12
    hvnsnt12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Good idea to call your doctor just to make sure that you are having hives an not some other kind of rash. Good luck at work. Try some ice or ice pack on the itchy parts. It can calm down the itching.
  • Richelle73
    Richelle73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I got hives after the birth of my first child, it was horrible; so I feel for you!! Go and pick up the benadryl spray, its less messy then the cream and easier to apply while you are at work. Hope you feel better.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    You haven't started any new medicines lately, have you?

Good idea to call the doctor... my first thought (only because I've had allergic reactions to meds) is an allergic reaction and I know those can spread fast!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    THIS may be TMI... but I get hives on my neck and chest if I work out real hard (get real sweaty) and let it dry versus showering immediately after or drying off with a towel, then showering.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    THIS may be TMI... but I get hives on my neck and chest if I work out real hard (get real sweaty) and let it dry versus showering immediately after or drying off with a towel, then showering.

I didnt sweat as much as i usually do yesterday because i just walked 2 miles instead of going to the gym because thats what i thought too..but i noticed them before I even did that
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I had hives from an allergic reaction to a new medication as well. About 10 days after starting it, I got hives right before bedtime, was up the entire night dying from the itchyness, and ended up at my college's health center at 8am. Definitely was the medicine. As soon as I took a few benadryl and stopped the meds, it was fine. I still had to do a whole day of work with my project team while trying to stay awake tho... not fun. I'd suggest getting to a doctor...
  • lds25
    lds25 Posts: 68
    Options
    So strange cuz i was just facing exact same issue with the exception that mine are all over my back. I did take benedryl and will have to tough it out today. I did hear that Benedryl Cream was to work well too.
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    new medication? new detergent? new perfumes or lotions? new foods?

is there a non-drowsy benadryl or benadryl spray you can use until you can see your doc today? :cry:

I hope you feel better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • jenlhugg
    jenlhugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Try Zyrtec, or maybe Zantac. I know that one of the heartburn meds is really just a strong anti-histamine, just can't remember which one. Zrytec doesn't make me drowsy (I have the same prob) and I know that most places carry a generic version of it that is more affordable.
  • tkylem
    tkylem Posts: 4
    Options
    Go to an allergist! It could be anything...

I got diagnosed with Cold Urticaria (allergy to cold temperatures, of wind, water, etc.) last summer after 3 months of random hive outbreaks... and I finally decided to just go to a doctor and they figured it out in one sitting.

Try Zrytec or Allegra
  • AzzaBoo
    AzzaBoo Posts: 1
    Options
    Had you been out in the sun? I used to have a sun allergy where once i had exposed my skin to sunlight, a couple of days later i would come out in horrible hives (usually on my trunk and arms) and it has turned out after exploring on the internet and with little help from my doctor, that women who take the combined pill can have an allergy to sunlight due to the oestrogen in the pill. Check this out.... very handy for all women to know this! Expectant mothers also have the same problem due to the rise in their oestrogen levels. I hope you can find a remedy as i know from lots of experience that this is very painful and not pretty to look at :-(
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Stress? My stepdad broke out in hives when he was crazy mad stressed. Kinda funny in retrospect.

Also, you may not have done something new, as in the last day or so, but even in the past month or so can have an effect. Allergies can build. For example, a previous coworker of mine had been using a lotion for about 2months before it caused her to break out.

Cortisone cream?

Good luck!