Anyone drink green tea?

Options
13»

Replies

• Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I drink a sport's bottle full of green tea per day. I do this to switch it up a bit from regular water, as I read somewhere that tea has (recently) been countable as some of your water for the day.
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    I drink 2-4cups a day now, especially during the winter months. It's slowly replacing coffee for me.
  • BeanDelphiki
    Options
    - Yes, green tea is supposed to speed your metabolism (although I have to wonder if your body wouldn't eventually adjust to it?). So is oolong; some studies suggest that oolong is actually better (a 10-20 percent increase vs. 4 percent - I've heard different numbers). Bear in mind that it is not a drug designed in a lab to have the same effect on most people who drink it; everyone's body is different, and no health benefit from tea could be guaranteed.

- Herbs have better effects the fresher and higher quality they are. Same with tea. Tea which is loose leaf is better than bagged; fresher is better than older. Tea should ideally be drank within a few months of purchase. If you have tea in your cupboard which is much more than a year old and/or has lost all scent, I would chuck it and get new stuff. TONS of people keep the same little cardboard box of bagged tea in their cupboard for a million years, and let me tell you, it probably ain't doing much for you to drink it.

- Arguably, the "healthiest" tea available is Japanese matcha powder, which is high-quality Japanese tea leaves (gyokuro, essentially) ground into a powder. The leaves are shade-grown before harvest to retain a lot of their nutrients. When you whisk matcha into water (or add it to a smoothie or whatever), you basically create a suspension of the leaf in the water and swallow the whole leaf, rather than an infusion. What this means is that you swallow all the nutrients in the leaf. It is supposed to speed your metabolism more than any infused leaf, but it should be noted that matcha has a lot more caffeine because of the "swallowing the whole leaf" thing. Matcha has a strong vegetal taste, so you're either going to want to put it in a breakfast smoothies (or something like that), or buy the highest-quality stuff if you plan to drink it straight. Also, because it IS a suspension, leaf will settle out to the bottom of your cup. If you want to drink it, I suggest just adding a bit more water, maybe some sweetener, and chugging it fast. :P Be warned - good matcha is a rather expensive habit, relatively speaking.

- I will add that yerba mate is another drink to check out. It is well-known as an appetite suppressant. Not that you should be using it to skip meals(!) - and seriously, don't drink it right before a meal, because it can put you off food you really need to eat - but if you are the kind of person who snacks a lot, yerba mate (MAH-tay) can help with that. It also has a lot of caffeine.

- Personally, I think it's unlikely you will see much benefit from tea on a cup a day. Many studies seem to suggest multiple cups are necessary. Myself, I rarely drink anything but tea and the occasional cup of water or fruit juice. If my consumption drops, I REALLY feel it.
  • rushandy
    rushandy Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I tried drinking green tea but after one mug I was jittery feeling. Weird cause I drink coffee and don't feel jittery.

I'm exactly the same! I drink a ton of coffee but never feel wired, a couple of mugs of green tea and I'm properly on edge!

i still drink lots of it though. No idea if its helping me with weight loss.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    bump
  • petitegreek
    petitegreek Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I love green tea! I should drink it more than I do.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about those things, but I love mint or peach green tea, yum!!!!
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I like it too. Again, as others have said, not sure about all the claimed benefits, etc., but I do notice I use the restroom alot when I drink it. Seems to work as a diuretic - so it helps in keeping the water weight off.
  • dxtra30
    dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Green Tea is great. We have K-Cups here at work Green Tea w/Pomegranate
  • mikeyrs
    mikeyrs Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've been drinking two cups of decaf Green Tea a day for the past year now. I believe it makes me feel good, but I cannot state for certain it does anything remarkable on its own because I supplement my diet with so many other good-for-you things. I made a major lifestyle change and decaf Green Tea is only a single part of it. All I can say is there is a remarkable difference in how I feel now versus how I felt back in March 2012. I would be surprised if anyone on MFP could attribute a major difference to a single change in their diet or lifestyle because we have no way of isolating one effect from the total picture over a long period of time. With nutritional supplements, perhaps the only way is to try a particular item for a couple of months or more, and then stop for a month or two and reassess how you feel. If you miss that particular nutritional supplement for any good reason, it's worth considering it as part of your permanent change.
  • Fitkorry
    Fitkorry Posts: 29
    Options
    I brew 2 bags of Twinings green tea in a 500ml flask and then pop in the fridge. I'll drink it cold the next day to top up my water intake. It definitely helps clear my skin and makes me feel better!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I drink it like a mad woman, reduces chronic inflammation among other things.... Google Green Tea Catchetins for info on the science behind it.
  • Change_is_Good_
    Change_is_Good_ Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I've been back on coffee recently (new coffee machine in the office) but love the twinnings green tea with fruit, comes in loads of flavours. I can easily do 5-6 cups if I've got no appointments one day. Another good thing is I never drink enough water, so this helps
  • the1captain
    the1captain Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love green tea. Found a specialty shop nearby that gave me all kinds of great information about the benefits of green tea. Made it a small hobby of mine. I like trying different types. I steep mine a long time as I like the strong taste. Definitely helps with the battle over weight loss and over all health.
  • haley255
    haley255 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have some amazing green tea my best friend brought back from China. At the end of last year I drank a couple mugs a day... because I heard it helps you lose weight. I did lose weight... but I was also not eating a lot and exercising occasionally (occasionally is a lot for me :-P ) so I can't say for sure it was the green tea. But it's worth a shot.
  • piinchi
    piinchi Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I love it. I brew it from a teabag and its lovely iced or hot. If you get a pitcher and fill it with cold water and 3-4 tea bags, you can let it sit in your fridge overnight and when you wake up - presto! Iced tea. I love it.