Anyone with high heart rate?

Options
So I started running (jogging) about 6 weeks ago, preparing for a mud run. I run twice a week, and my endurance has continually improved. I'm up to running 2.5 miles straight (treadmill, 5.5mph). My concern is that my heart rate is extremely high. I feel fine and everything, I never feel like I'm gasping for air or exhausted, but the number on my hrm worries me. After a few minutes, I hover around 175bpm, slowly increasing, and after about 2 miles my hr is over 190, occasionally getting over 195. Again, I do not feel as though it's too much, but from the reading I've done, it sounds dangerously high.

I know the overwhelming response will be "ask your physician." I will, I have an appointment in 2 weeks. But has anybody else been in the same situation, and know if it's something to avoid?

(30/M, 209 lbs)

Replies

• laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Obviously, yes, talk to your doctor.

How was your overall health and cardio health before you started jogging? Have you ever been active before or did you just kind of jump into it?

I ask because I have a naturally high exercising heart rate (Often over 200 if I am really working hard). There are a lot of factors that play into this, but my doctor said it's normal for me. I have always been fairly active and never feel like I am going to fall out when my heart rate gets that high. So, if you feel ok, hopefully it's just normal.

Also, is your HRM correct? If you are going by the treadmill numbers they could be a little on the high side.
  • Swervinator
    Options
    I've been quite sedentary for a few years, so I know it has a LOT to do with my poor fitness level. When I asked a trainer she said "listen to your body, it knows best," then when I told her the number she said "wow, that's really high, ask your doctor." Of course I'm not going to assume that it's fine, but I'm glad to hear someone has been okay'd by their doctor to have a high heart rate. So it's not a hard-fast rule, "don't go that high."

I don't doubt that my hrm is accurate (it's a chest strap). I've spot-checked my pulse a few times when it's around 120-160, and it seems right on.
  • kge0891
    kge0891 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    While running, I often get to 180-185, which according to my resting heart rate, is about 90-100% of my max HR. I was concerned at first as well, but I've never had any issues, and I've been running for about a year now.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but I have used the kind on the treadmill at the gym. My heart rate got up to around 180 or so if I remember correctly, and I felt like crap.

I don't strain myself that hard. I am not really afraid of a heart attack yet, but I just feel really uncomfortable when it gets that high.
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    my heart rate is high; i will peak at 189 bpm when running. mine is due to thyroid issues. you should get yours checked. it's a simple blood test.
  • mljacobs23
    mljacobs23 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I register anywhere from 185 - 200 based on the chest HR monitor (confirmed with manual testing) when working out. I was also kind of worried about it, but went for a check up everything seems fine, so doctor thinks that's just my normal. I will say It has come down a little as I've continued to work out regularly. When I started working out I almost always went over 200, now I tend to peak around 185.
  • bdradtke
    bdradtke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I was in a similar situation when I first started running again. Over time, you should find your heart rate start to decrease and take a longer amount of time to reach your max heart rate. I used to hit 175 in the first few minutes, and I would revert back to walking when I hit 185. Eventually, it started to take 5 minutes, then 10 minutes to reach 175. Now after one year of running 2-4 times per week, it takes me 20-25 minutes to reach 175 and most of the time I can sustain that rate for another 10-20 minutes after I reach it. I generally now have an average heart rate of 170 for the duration of my runs. I'm 34 and 205, but I was 245 when I started running again. Also, I use a polar FT7 which does track more accurately than the treadmill.

Bottom line, talk to your doctor just to be certain, but you should see improvement over time.
  • zlauerMom
    zlauerMom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You can't know if that is a high heart rate or not unless you know what your Max HR is. And the formula 220-age is not useful.
    I'm 44 and using that formula my max HR would be 176 but it is really about 193.
    I ran today for one hour with an average HR of 165. I hit a high today of 185 for several minutes.

I know my max HR because one time after a run like today, I ran as fast as I could until I was spent. That is my maxHR. If you are healthy there is no danger in doing such a test to determine your maxHR.

Happy running!
  • Swervinator
    Options
    Thanks everybody, that's a lot of helpful information! I personally think that I just have a high heart rate, and that it will improve with better conditioning. As long as my endurance continues to improve, I won't worry too much about the heart rate. Of course I will still ask my doctor. I planned on speeding up after a few more weeks, but I'm not going to if it means elevating my hr even higher. I feel better about it now.
  • Curvynerdgirl
    Options
    You are likely right. I myself actually was diagnosed with high heart rate and I am on a prescription for it, however my doc was quite fine with me doing exercise and running (In moderation) so I wouldn't foresee too many problems. ( For the record, after freaking echo cardiographs, heart ultrasounds, and lots of blood tests...they have determined my heart is fine :P....so...they basically think losing weight will help. Also probably cutting down on my anxiety)
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Run so you can continue carrying on a conversation...