Skipping the gym?

Options
So I didn't go to the gym 2/5 times last week but kept extra control of my calories and still lost 2 pounds that week. Now this week I didn't go to the gym today and do not feel like going tomorrow, I didn't go over my calories but still am killing myself over not going to the gym. I was planning on doing 15-30 minutes of cardio here at home but I usually an hour of cardio at the gym. I feel like I am cheating myself and my boyfriend who I told I will go to the gym every weekday. Is it okay to not go to the gym and do an hour of cardio and just do 15-30 minutes of it instead at home? I will also keep my calories in best control I can, but I'm afraid I'm "starting" and will eventually not go to the gym at all, I know I will because I am so motivated, but sometimes I just don't particularly feel like going to the gym and sitting on a stationary for an hour.

Replies

• danceydancetime
    Options
    Of course it's okay to take a break! Try to get some exercise in, but you don't have to go hard every single day. Your body deserves a break! Just make sure it *isn't* laziness getting to you. Sometimes you just have to get up, lace up your sneakers, and get yourself out the door.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree with dancey..... and would add that it doesn't have to be gym workouts or specifically what we call exercise.
    You just need to have activity that makes you a little sweaty and warm. That could be yard work, heavy household
    cleaning, gardening, a bike ride, a local hike etc.
  • Jessi_Brooks
    Jessi_Brooks Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    How do you know tomorrow you wont want to go?

Anyways, if you stay within your calories, it wont hurt your weight loss. But you should try pushing yourself to go to the gym even if when you dont feel like it. Eventually it will become more of a habit and less of a chore, and maybe one day you'll even enjoy working out. :)

Edit for typos
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Slight derail here - Sitting on the stationary bike for an hour? Girl I'd be reluctant to go to the gym too! You know what totally helps me with cardio once I actually drag myself to the gym?
    I do ten minutes on each cardio machine until I fill up my desired workout time. It's just less daunting that way ! Some days I just can't handle even a 30 minute block on a machine - I go crazy with boredom!
    Jump from the elliptical, to the treadmill, to the bike, etc, and do it all over again! It really helps if you push yourself really hard in each segment you do on the machines. It helps with the boredom. And, like they say, if you're bored - you're not working hard enough.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    There will be days like this again where you don't want to go to the gym. I've found that even on these days, I make myself go...even if it's just for 30-40 mins of cardio. Every single time, I was so glad that I went afterwards. You know it makes you feel good. The hardest part is actually getting there. You can absolutely workout at home. Doesn't have to be in a gym. Get the WII games out and dance or pop in a workout video or make up your own.
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Slight derail here - Sitting on the stationary bike for an hour? Girl I'd be reluctant to go to the gym too! You know what totally helps me with cardio once I actually drag myself to the gym?
    I do ten minutes on each cardio machine until I fill up my desired workout time. It's just less daunting that way ! Some days I just can't handle even a 30 minute block on a machine - I go crazy with boredom!
    Jump from the elliptical, to the treadmill, to the bike, etc, and do it all over again! It really helps if you push yourself really hard in each segment you do on the machines. It helps with the boredom. And, like they say, if you're bored - you're not working hard enough.

Absolutely what she said! I get bored on the bike and treadmill. Try breaking it up into shorter intervals!
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I've been going to the gym 5 days a week since January and doing 50 minutes of cardio and 30 minutes of weightlifting every single time. I never really realized it but maybe I'm just bored of my routine >_< and I know I won't wanna go to the gym tomorrow because Fridays always happen to be my chill days where I like to relax and take my time getting ready before I go out for the night. I think tomorrow I will do cardio here at home with a CD I used to like alot. :D then starting Monday, change up my gym routine :D I like the idea of ten minutes on different machines til I get the time I want :D
  • lvtruu1
    lvtruu1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Step back a second.

Hopefully you are making a lifestyle change. Part of that change is to incorporate gym time. Stop cheating yourself, suck it up and go to the gym and do the work. If you are telling yourself a day in advance that you don't want to go to the gym, you aren't all that committed. Yes taking a break is fine and often recommend, but a break isn't well I don't feel like going to the gym.. Its having a plan that states you'll take a week off every 8 or 12 or some other number. Its a plan not a feeling.

I often don't feel like going to the gym. I just use my routine. Get up start getting dressed for the gym, once the clothes are on, seems pointless not to go...

Go because you love yourself. Go because you want to be the best you.
  • danceydancetime
    Options
    If your gym has complimentary aerobics classes, you should absolutely check them out. Taking one or two a week is a great way to mix up your routine, and it can be a lot of fun.