Getting more protein?

Options
I want to build up more protein in my diet. My problem is I don't eat meat except at dinner and occasionally a small amount at lunch.

Do you have any ideas for how I can get more protein during the day? My calorie intake that I should have is 1700, not including exercise, and I always go under.

Replies

• redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    There's protein in foods that aren't meat.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, soy products, cereal/grains, eggs, legumes and dairy. Oh and protein shakes or bars(read label some have high sugar content.)

Vegetarians can probably add more.
  • RumpusP
    RumpusP Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Not sure what sort of stuff you usually eat, but beans, seitan, quinoa, and tvp come to mind at first.
  • jmom376
    jmom376 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have 1 cup of Special K Protein Cereal and 1 cup of 1% skim milk for breakfast. It is 260 calories, 4 grams of fat, 21 grams of protein, and 4 grams of fiber. It really fills me up.
  • vlmay1955
    vlmay1955 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I aked this exact same question (my Dr. said I was low on protein after reviewing my bloodwork, concerning to me since I do a lot of strength training). I got TONS of good answers. I pasted a link to my forum question below. Hopefully you can click on it and it will take you to it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/893229-how-to-add-protein-to-my-diet-suggestions
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    whey protein and peanut butter
  • Bigbill810
    Bigbill810 Posts: 117
    Options
    If you like oatmeal, you can put a scoop of protein powder in it. I personally love Quaker Oats Apple Cinnamon oatmeal with a scoop of protein.
  • karenhray7
    karenhray7 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    eggs (or egg beaters) - 6 grams per egg

Dairy
    cottage cheese - 18 grams per cup
    cream cheese - 14 grams per cup
    yogurt - 13 grams per cup

Legumes (nuts & seeds, beans)
    Red beans - 13 grams per cup
    Lentils - 18 grams per cup
    Pumpkin seeds - 12 grams per cup

Certain Vegetables & Fruit
    broccoli - 4.6 g of protein per cup
    Med potato with its skin - 5 g of protein
    spinach - 5.3 g of protein per cup

Whole grains
    Whole wheat bread - 5 grams per 2 slices
    brown rice - 5 grams per cup
    oatmeal - 11 grams per cup
  • Phany04
    Phany04 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I'm also trying to increase protein. I eat light tuna, beans, hard boiled egg, raw almond, oatmeal..... And I add grounded flaxseed to my oatmeal, yogurt, cold cereal. Im looking to find more ideas.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Quest chocolate chip cookie dough protein bars.

you can thank me later ;-)

seriously--- 21 grams of protein, all natural and tastes like a cookie. i have no idea how its possible
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    If you eat meat, why wouldn't you eat it at different meals on occasion... if that's what it took to reach your goals?

I usually have:
    eggs
    tuna
    chicken breast
    cottage cheese with a bit of jam mixed in
    greek yogurt with a bit of honey mixed in
    peanut butter
    almonds
    Questbars
    Whey powder
  • werewolfseeker
    werewolfseeker Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There's other foods to get protein. I also only eat meat at dinner or lunch. What I eat that has protein is

1.Yogurt! Check the brands, some have more protein then others and less calories
    2.Eggs
    3.Cheese
    4. Protien Bars
    5.Tofu (never really tried it)
    6.Peanuts (Nuts in general)
    7.Soy Milk! Def
    8.Milk
  • rachelabdy
    rachelabdy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I like the Special K suggestion - especially because I like it for a snack too - just weigh and eat it dry - yummy!
  • zorreena
    zorreena Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Nutritional yeast
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    if you set mfp to track protein then you'll soon see paternsin how much you get and from where. sometimes it adds up from unexpected foods that you eat often. i found that more useful that just adding foods specifically for protein.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    One scoop of whey + one tablespoon of yogurt + one spoonful of peanut butter (optional) smallest dash of water... stir... microwave for 30 seconds.

Protein sludge brownie BAM!
  • grant1wish
    Options
    Kale - add it to your smoothie
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    If you want to add protein without adding a bunch of other carbs, fat, and calories as other people are suggesting you do, just stay with a protein shake once or twice a day.