Heart rate Monitors

Options
I am thinking of getting a new one. Any reccomendations on a good one that works well for someone who sweats a ton?

Replies

• TarshCooper001
    TarshCooper001 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I will be paying attention to this feed I recently got a runtastic HRM with the dongle that connects to your iphone.. highly recommend NOT to buy it. Forever dropping out on the signal. Only brought it because it auto updates MFP- but it turned out to be more effort to get the darn thing in a spot that worked properly rather than input my exercise manually.
  • monsieursmith
    monsieursmith Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Scosche RHYTHM Armband Pulse Monitor and use it with the Digifit application on my iPhone 4S. It's an awesome combination of technology that works well while I do cardio or any activity. I just use a damp cloth with a little bit of hand soap to clean it off after I workout. It can be charged with any USB port and lasts many hours before needing to be recharged. The Digifit application actually warns me when the battery is low so I know to recharge it later. The device was a bit pricey at $99 but worth every penny. Digifit charges a small fee to connect to a list of heart rate monitors but it updates my myfitnesspal immediately once my workout ends. The controls are very easy and the voice integration with music playback is very nice.

If you're looking for a smaller device for the same price with what may be more features, checkout the Fitbit - One Wireless Activity and Sleep Tracker. I've read many positive reviews on this device as well. I will know more about this device later after I "gift" it to one of my close friends who partners with me on this site for encouragement. Check out the reviews on Amazon.com, BestBuy, etc. I hope you find one to your liking.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    My polar is awesome! I have the FT4
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My polar is awesome! I have the FT4

This! I also have the ft4 and love it.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Lidl have one on offer from Monday 11th March, £15

I have no idea of it's quality or effectiveness, but has chest strap and wrist & bike mounts

I am going to get one, mainly because of the pedometer function
  • borom44
    borom44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have a Polar H7 Bluetooth HRM

Excellent piece of kit, works both Bluetooth with the iPhone and the apps available on there and the unit has the usual transmission able to communicate with the standard gym equipment. The unit is comfortable and reliable would recommend, and at approx £50 fro Amazon, you can’t fall off.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and I love it. Does everything I need it to and more. Comfortable to wear - however a little expensive.
  • StrongAndHealthyMommy
    StrongAndHealthyMommy Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    polar ft7.......... I love it to death.... I dont even feel it on.... it gives you your heart rate... calories.. time... has an execellent data memorie... easy to use... and also tell you hoy many minutes of fitness and body fat you burned
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm - I might send my mum to Lidl for me - I'm going to be near there on Saturday but not after that for a while :noway:
  • JanisAtki
    JanisAtki Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 too. It can go swimming with you so a bit of sweat won't upset it.
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    hought i would share my experience with my garmin forerunner 110 my awesome wife got me for christmas.
    what it does- gps HRM, stop watch, time, distance, avg pace/lap, calories after you download it to the connect site.
    what i like - all the stuff i mentioned above. i like when running or walking knowing my pace and HR and know what the exact distance is(*see below) and can change my route mid run if i decide to go farther. then when you download it from the watch to the online site it maps it, like in google maps, so you can get a view of what you did and can think about how to modify or save it as a course. shows all your stats, pace, laps, actual moving time, avg HR, the whole works. the strap doesn't bother me, no chaffing or irritation. even when i do my circuit routine and lay down to do abs. can use indoors whe it is freezing out. it will still do stopwatch function and HRM just no GPS, obviously.

downsides- doesn't mean i don't like. just stuff to consider. battery. i have read a lot of reviews about battery issues. garmins don't have a regular battery you can change. i have only had it couple months so no issues. it has gone a week or more with out charging and still had half a battery left. i don't do marathons, the farthest i have gone with it is 4-5 miles total. about 45 mins so battery was fine. the thing that drains it is GPS. most of the day it sits or can wear as a watch. if the battery dies i will cross that bridge then. cost - my wife got a great deal. i would not have bought it myself because of cost, but fortunately i have an awesome wife who did. i prob would have went the fitbit or polar route. is it worth it, right now i say yes, ask me in a year. also- doesn't sync with anything. like your phone or mfp or anything, except garmin.

i have not tried out their training programs so i can't comment on that, yet.

*sidebar from above. it has on a couple occasions when i started running as soon as it synced GPS started me in the wrong location and had me running directly through the downtown buildings. in other words throwing off my first mile distance and pace. so now i make sure to walk at least a few hundred yds just to make sure it is on and then hit lap and start running.
  • maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin FR70 and love it. It's a basic model but enough data. I did lots of research before choosing the Garmin over the Polar and the algorithm for calculating the calories in the Garmin comes out on top. You get used to wearing the strap but have the option of getting the soft premium strap if needed.

None of them will be 100% but I like to get as close as I can.
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I recently got a Polar FT4. Loving it so far.

Bodytronics.com has the best price to purchase it.
  • elatowski
    Options
    If you've got a compatible iDevice, I'd suggest the 60beat BLUE Heart Rate Monitor for iPhone 4S, iPad (3rd Gen) & iPhone 5. I've been using it for while now and it's worked flawlessly. It's great because the apps (there are many compatible apps) automatically store your workout history.