Getting slimmer,without loosing weight?

Options
Help me someone please...I'm a bit confused...is it possible to be slimming down without loosing weight? I have lost about 16 lbs in 5 weeks, but since then, my weight has been staying pretty much the same...but all my clothes are way too big, my belts are unusable as way too big for my waist...my husband is saying I look completely different....my body shape is changing.
I do not do much exercise, apart form the normal running around 2 kids, cleaning, bit of Zumba thrown in between and walking whenever I can...so I don't exactly thing that my fat is turning into muscle??? Still I am down 1 dress size, but even that is getting too baggy....how is it possible??

Replies

• MelanieAnneWoods
    MelanieAnneWoods Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Firstly, well done on your wieght loss so far. Secondly, fat cannot "turn into muscle" and vice versa. You are pretty active so you are probably losing inches (mass) and not weight (pounds/kg's) because you are building muscle. This is good because the more muscle you have the higher your metabolism (even at rest) and the more calories you burn.:smile:
  • GaloisGirl
    GaloisGirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! :) See http://www.onemorebite-weightloss.com/images/fat-v-muscle.jpg , you can be losing fat and gaining muscle and muscles are smaller for the same mass.

Keep up the good work! ;)
  • memea83
    memea83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you...and thanks for the picture..put me off my lunch..;) It's funny because I know I look different...but because the scale is not moving...I was thinking I'm just kidding myself...:)
  • PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I think it must be true; I have not lost a great deal of weight since Christmas (about 8-9lbs), but people keep on commenting on how much trimmer I look. Even my Husband, and our Fitness Instructor (both very objective) said last night that I look completely different to the start of the year. Would be nice to have some numbers on the scale to quantify it, but I am trying not to get too hung on the scales and their results every week.
  • memea83
    memea83 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm plucking up the courage to post a picture of me in january and now...but dont know how to post a picture here...?
  • kimpilon
    kimpilon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have lost 16 pounds since 10/19/12 when I started. I have not lost any weight in 7 weeks. I do exercise every day. My husband also said I am looking thinner but it is frustrating not to see the scale moving each week.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I am fluctuating between 3-5 pound loss since January the second but my body shape has changed dramatically. I took pics when I started and updated those a couple of weeks ago. My eyes almost popped out of my head hahaha.

Clothes are loose, shoes are loose, watch is loose, necklaces hang longer round the neck.

Ive done away with the scale for the time being.

Well done, and keep doing what you are doing
  • Tonya0605
    Tonya0605 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Help me someone please...I'm a bit confused...is it possible to be slimming down without loosing weight? I have lost about 16 lbs in 5 weeks, but since then, my weight has been staying pretty much the same...but all my clothes are way too big, my belts are unusable as way too big for my waist...my husband is saying I look completely different....my body shape is changing.
    I do not do much exercise, apart form the normal running around 2 kids, cleaning, bit of Zumba thrown in between and walking whenever I can...so I don't exactly thing that my fat is turning into muscle??? Still I am down 1 dress size, but even that is getting too baggy....how is it possible??

I'm in the same boat.... only difference is I do get regular exercise 4-5 xs a week for about 1.5 hours per session. Interested to see what others say.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I too started in Oct 2012. I've lost 15 pounds (5 prior to starting MFP) and I am down 1-1/2 sizes in pants and in some cases 2 sizes in blouses. YEAH ME!!

I do workout, 5 nights a week so I know my body is changing. I can see it./feel it as can the people at the gym, the trainer, and my husband.

That being said I'D LOVE FOR THE SCALE to start DROPPING again.

What do we do?