Low carb?

Hi all! I know some of you have had trouble with doing a low carb diet and then when you start eating normally again, you gain it all back. In trying to avoid that, I have been averaging around 100 carbs per day and 25g of fiber, so around 75 net carbs. Will I potentially see those same problems one day or is 75 carbs per day a good amount? For those wondering, I watch carbs carefully because my body responds really well to that, but I've been eating SOME because I know they have their benefits just like everything else :)

Replies

• tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Try to get most if not all of your carbs from veggies, then you don't have to worry about counting them.IMHO.
  • I did the Atkins diet prior to joing MFP. I am struggling to eat "normal" without gaining my weight back. I haven't found my balance yet!! Sorry, no advice here but I hear ya!!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Why would you go low carb...carbs are most efficiently used for energy...

Just choose healthier carbs. Fruits, vegetables, whole grains...beans, lentils...

Really...low carb diets are embraced by many...but it's a lifestyle change and difficult to maintain...a balanced/healthy diet is a more advisable approach.
  • I am Diabetic and have kept my carb intake under 180 for the day and I have lost 48 pounds since October 20th of last year. Still eat them but I make healthier choice when I can. Good Luck
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Will you? No-one can answer that. Everyone is different and everyone responds to carbs differently. You'll' just have to try it for a while and see how it works for you.
  • triinityz
    triinityz Posts: 146 Member
    It's more the type of carbs you eat. If you go back to white bread, potato's and lots of sugar, you would gain it back regardless. If you stick with mostly whole grains and veggies, you can add a treat here and there and not hurt anything. We're fat here in the states because the american diet is all refined carbs and crap. Eat more natural and you should be fine (IMHO!)
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Try to get most if not all of your carbs from veggies, then you don't have to worry about counting them.IMHO.

yes! If you eat carbs that are less insulin sensitive, you shouldn't have to worry. Whole foods are always your best option. If you're having a difficult time adding carbs, try carb cycling. Do a "no", low, no, high cycle - no=less than 30, low 50-75 and high 75-150. Remember that fiber carbs generally don't count in your carb total. You can deduct them.

Always choose quality nutritional carbs and avoid juices, pops and other high sugars! They are not only empty wasted cals but also wasted carbs. Breads, no matter how much they say "whole grain" generally are crap, processed carbs, unless you find someone (or yourself) who grinds their own grain. Same with pastas.

There's no such thing as truth in advertising anymore, even when the FDA/FTC catch them lying thru their teeth. (If you don't believe me check out the lawsuit that Dannon lost for their promotion of Activia as a better digestive yogurt - yet they still get away with that same promotion today because no one enforces "truth in advertising") Don't believe what you HEAR and don't take any advertising as truthful, read the labels, and look at the ingredients! If sugar (any form) is one of the first couple of ingredients, rethink your choice. If there's a whole bunch of words that you can't say, that means there a bunch of junk to make it taste good, or last forever. Rethink again. The mega-food industry in general does not have you and your health best interests at heart. They want to make money, and will do and say anything to increase their bottom line.

Good luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,142 Member
    Coming off very low carbs or consuming more carbs only increases water weight, not fat stores. You still need to eat in excess of what your body requires to add fat. Saying that, you will add some body weight (water) but if low carb works for you 100g's a day should still keep the demons at bay.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    I think 100g is totally sustainable...it isn't 20g etc which you have to watch very carefully. In order to keep your carbs low you have to reallly cut back on breads and sugars..which is a good thing and helps you lose weight anyway. So I should think it is a good plan!