Biking Across America in April at 245 Pounds

Options
Hey Everyone!

It's so nice to meet you. Please add me and get to know me. I am a cyclist, violinist, dog lover and blogger. I recently got serious about losing weight and getting in shape in an effort to spend the rest of my 20s in good health and fashion. I'm 24.

I am biking across America in April. It'll last until God knows when. I am traveling from NYC to Los Angeles. Feel free to follow my journey on http://blog.fijabam.com/ I am so excited. My goal is to lose 10 pounds before the trip and 40 pounds while actually biking across America. So, I'll be 245 when I start in NYC and I want to be 205 by the time I reach California!

This means putting together a strict diet. Do you guys have suggestions of what to eat that can help me to lose weight the right way? I'll be cycling 50 to 60 miles each day. That's a lot of aerobics! I don't want my body to hold a lot of water. I also don't want to deprive my body of all the nutrients it needs. I don't like power bars because they have so much sugar, but so far, people keep saying that's a great thing to take. Any suggestions?

I look forward to losing weight and feeling great! And if you're a chubby cyclist like me, I look forward to hearing your story!

Jasmine

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Much props to you, what an undertaking. That is my long range goal to bike across America. I, of course, have not done that distance. I have done 3 day tours and 7 day tours. I'm not much for power bars either, although I keep a couple in my bag just in case.

I keep a peanut butter sandwich always at the ready too. Don't skimp on the water, I promise you won't be retaining water. One of the things that has always been said to me, drink before you are thirsty and eat before you are hungry. When riding that kind of mileage you will bonk if you wait until you are hungry. Keep track of what you eat, but eat frequently.

What kind of support are you going to have?
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    LOTS of peanut butter and whole grain crackers! The protein + complex carbs will be good, and they will both keep in a backpack.

Stop at every fresh fruit/vegetable stand and support the farmers wherever you see them. A fair number of them will also have jerky available.

And, most important, LOTS of water. Invest in a couple of good canteens, and fill them frequently.

Good luck in your journey! I hope it leaves you utterly fulfilled, whether or not you melt fat along the way. :-)
  • fat2fitdancody
    fat2fitdancody Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a challenge, respect for setting the bar so high.

I look forward to following your progress.
  • JasmineReeseII
    Options
    Thaks for the replies everyone. Yes, I am super-motivated, and I am currently training. @cyclingbonnie You can read about my support here: http://blog.fijabam.com/2013/03/07/generosity-asking-for-donations/
  • JasmineReeseII
    Options
    Thank you! Here's a little bit about my support. I don't have SAG. It's solo for 25% and with a group for 75%. Well, solo if you don't count my doggy. http://blog.fijabam.com/2013/03/07/generosity-asking-for-donations/
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Jasmine,
    Inspirational and here we are on international women's day!
    I wish you all the luck in the world and have booked marked your blog to keep up to date!