Don't be a NewHater

Options
"Don't be a NewHater!

I used to be a NewHater. I liked what I liked and if something new came along that seemed weird or odd or silly or stupid or lame or a waist of time, I found a way to hate it. It's so easy to say NO to new things - that way you don't have to look silly or uncoordinated or stupid or lame or wrong.

Hating things you've never tried or know anything about is easy, and it's safe. Why take a risk on exotic fitness concepts like yoga or Pilates or eat weird food like quinoa or kale, when you can stick with the same old things you've been doing and eating since before high school?

NewHaters are stuck, confused, bored, angry and defensive much of the time because change scares the crap out of them. Do yourself a huge favor and begin to hate less and explore more. Go to that yoga class, eat the kale, listen to new ideas without that disapproving look on your face, and maybe, just maybe, life will get more fun and interesting."

Tony Horton

Replies

• elaine_des
    elaine_des Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Could you talk to my husband for me? I don't know if it's only him are all men in general that hate change but it's driving me nuts. I have to say it's good in one way.. the fact that he won't change me! but all the other little thing I could do without.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this...I love it! I recently moved and changed gyms. I decided to try something new...exercise group classes (yoga, spinning). I had never done either activity before and never done any group exercises. I was scared (why, now I don't know), but it has been so worth it.
  • jljshoe1979
    jljshoe1979 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Could you talk to my husband for me? I don't know if it's only him are all men in general that hate change but it's driving me nuts. I have to say it's good in one way.. the fact that he won't change me! but all the other little thing I could do without.

Perfectionism, maybe...my hubby is like that some too. He's not a picky eater - I cook most of the time and he eats it, but asking him to go exercise or try something active together like Frisbee golf is a trip. Example: I asked him about playing racquet ball at the gym (just us) and he excuse to not go do it was I don't know the rules...
  • ramonafrincu
    ramonafrincu Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Tony is so right! When I was overweight I hated everything new. Just loved the food and staying in the house...Hated the idea to exercise, to eat healthy, to meet new people, to change myself...I even hated me! Until one day, when I said enough is enough! I lost 15 kg eating everything but in small portions. I didn't deny anything as that would be meant failure to me. If I think I am dieting I am eating more.. Human brain is unbelievable...I didn't exercise and that was a huge mistake. I look good in clothes but not so good without. I feel skinny fat, my BF is 25%. Again another challenge...Exercising!!! Hated it but hated it until I started! Now I can't pass a day without exercising! I feel guilty if I do...It was new to me and was so disappointed with myself the first days. Couldn't do a bloody push up, hated the jumping jacks and so on. But now I want more challenge.. Maybe during the time I exercise I scream and I hate it but at the end, wow, I feel good, damn good, and proud, because I can do it. And my body loves it because slowly, slowly that stubborn layer of fat is shredding and I can see muscle definition which I didn't see for long time...My goal is to be fit, strong, to have endurance, to be toned. You have to embrace "new" because You will become a "new you" which you will love and fell proud of. It is easy to stay the old you but there is no achievement in that. ..
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Tony is so right! When I was overweight I hated everything new. Just loved the food and staying in the house...Hated the idea to exercise, to eat healthy, to meet new people, to change myself...I even hated me! Until one day, when I said enough is enough! I lost 15 kg eating everything but in small portions. I didn't deny anything as that would be meant failure to me. If I think I am dieting I am eating more.. Human brain is unbelievable...I didn't exercise and that was a huge mistake. I look good in clothes but not so good without. I feel skinny fat, my BF is 25%. Again another challenge...Exercising!!! Hated it but hated it until I started! Now I can't pass a day without exercising! I feel guilty if I do...It was new to me and was so disappointed with myself the first days. Couldn't do a bloody push up, hated the jumping jacks and so on. But now I want more challenge.. Maybe during the time I exercise I scream and I hate it but at the end, wow, I feel good, damn good, and proud, because I can do it. And my body loves it because slowly, slowly that stubborn layer of fat is shredding and I can see muscle definition which I didn't see for long time...My goal is to be fit, strong, to have endurance, to be toned. You have to embrace "new" because You will become a "new you" which you will love and fell proud of. It is easy to stay the old you but there is no achievement in that. ..
    Love the energy! And it's contagious!!
  • ginamc04
    ginamc04 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Best post, thanks for sharing it! I see it all the time, its sad when people are so 'boxed' in...my family members included!
  • jc4mee
    jc4mee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you! You have inspired me to head to water aerobics this morning. Yesterday evening I had planned to go, but this morning I was about to talk myself out of it - until I read your post. I have been basically sedentary for the last year due to some issues with my feet. During that time we changed gyms, so not only am I trying to get motivated to move again but I'm also having to do it in different surroundings with different people. I figure that water aerobics is a good place to get started. Yesterday I did go to the gym to use the elliptical for a little while, so at least that was a start. I also signed up for MFP with the hope that it would inspire me.

Thank you for the post and the inspiration!!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Tony is so damn cheesy sometimes... But it works