Tdee bmr rmr and not losing weight

Options
I have been trying to lose weight since 1/7/13 and have only lost just under 6 pounds. I am eating 2060 calories a day but it doesnt seem to help. I exercise at least 30 minutes a day, every day. Some days it is just a brisk walk, others I work towards doing the c25k. I also try to do weight training at home with 6.6 and 3.3 pound weights. Is there anything more I can do since I cant seem to lose the weight.

21 year old female
5' 6.5"
276 pounds

TDEE:2640
BMR: 2364
RMR: 2071

Replies

• faireplay
    faireplay Posts: 126
    Options
    I don't think people will be able to help you since your diary is private. Do you weigh and measure your food?
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I think what faireplay said is good advice. If you are not measuring and logging your food you can't be sure if the calories you are actually eating is the truth. There is no such thing as a cheat day as those calories are still going into your body.

For me, the thing that stuck out to me the most is that seems like a high calorie level for 5'6 female. Those calculators are estimates and tend to overestimate in people that are overweight.
    I'm a 6'4 male. 27. Starting weight 253 on 1/02/13. Lost 22 pounds and eating 2000 calories a day so far (have been upping this amount recently on weekends but first two months I was eating this intake every day). I work an office job but have been going to the gym and exercising for an hour a day.

With someone who has probably 100+ pounds I would go with a smaller calorie intake. I might try dropping to 1500 over the next few weeks and I think you will start losing consistently.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I was told that losing weight between BMR and TDEE is the best way to not lose muscle. I have lost inches since I started. I think I have lost close to 10 inches. I will have to measure tomorrow. I try to stay within my micros as much as I can. I know that my scale at home is a little bit of a pain. I got it on sale but I cant afford to get a new one for a while. I believe in IIFIYM and try to stick with it as much as I can. I dont freak too much if I go over a micro because I know that at least one day that week I was way under and it all equals out.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    IIFIYM.com
    Fitness frog:
    TDEE: 2475
    http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
    TDEE: 2478
    BMR: 2065
    http://www.superskinnyme.com/calorie-calculator.html
    BMR: 2067
    TDEE: 2481
    http://theskinnyequation.blogspot.com/p/weight-loss-calculators.html
    Basal Metabolic Rate is: 2058 calories.

Total Daily Energy Expenditure Is: 2470 calories
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Check your #s I weigh what you weigh and my bmr is 1815 and tdee is about 2100
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Buy a tailor's tape. Take measurements. Keep doing what you're doing. Don't get discouraged by the scale. It WILL move!
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Those of us with a higher body fat percentage actually have a lower BMR than what tends to show up on most calorie calculators. Since we have such a large amount of fat, our bodies require fewer calories.

I would suggest you take a look at this spreadsheet and use the calculations it gives you:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amt7QBR9-c6MdGVTbGswLUUzUHNVVUlNSW9wZWloeUE

This link explains the spreadsheet:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm

Give it a try and see how your numbers compare.

When I used it, my TDEE was almost identical to what I got on the Scooby website's basic calculator, but my BMR was quite a bit lower. I played around with the spreadsheet and determined that it was my body fat that made the difference. The calorie calculators that don't take body fat into consideration are geared toward people who are quite a bit leaner than we are.
  • kirianna55
    Options
    Buy a tailor's tape. Take measurements. Keep doing what you're doing. Don't get discouraged by the scale. It WILL move!
    I take my measurements weekly and keep track of that but it has been slow.

2012startweightloss.png

This is the body fat calculator I use:
    http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/military-body-fat-calculator.html
  • amsthegreat
    amsthegreat Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, you're doing something right. What do you do for a living? You must be pretty active for your number to be so high. Just curious. :)
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose weight since 1/7/13 and have only lost just under 6 pounds. I am eating 2060 calories a day but it doesnt seem to help. I exercise at least 30 minutes a day, every day. Some days it is just a brisk walk, others I work towards doing the c25k. I also try to do weight training at home with 6.6 and 3.3 pound weights. Is there anything more I can do since I cant seem to lose the weight.

21 year old female
    5' 6.5"
    276 pounds

Rerun your numbers. According to the above, you are eating below you BMR, which is the wrong way to go.

My advice is to use heybale's spreadsheet from the In Place of a Roadmap Forum. It will take the guesswork out and give you the number you should be eating. You can then tweak it from there based on your progress.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/717858-spreadsheet-bmr-tdee-and-deficit-calcs-macros-hrm
  • kirianna55
    Options
    If you're losing inches, you're doing something right. What do you do for a living? You must be pretty active for your number to be so high. Just curious. :)

I am not working right now. However I live with my boyfriends family and I do all of the work around here. I do all of the cleaning, the laundry (including ironing), the yard work ( they havent dont any yard work in over 10 years), and I take care of his mother because she is an invalid. She sleeps in bed 16-19 hours a day and the rest of the time she is watching tv or sleeping in her chair.
  • kirianna55
    Options

21 year old female
    5' 6.5"
    276 pounds

Rerun your numbers. According to the above, you are eating below you BMR, which is the wrong way to go.

My advice is to use heybale's spreadsheet from the In Place of a Roadmap Forum. It will take the guesswork out and give you the number you should be eating. You can then tweak it from there based on your progress.

After using the spreadsheet, I found that my TDEE is 2638, and my BMR is 1991
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    If you're losing inches, no need to worry. This means ur basically losing fat only I believe & pretty much sparing you're LBM. I may be wrong, but if ur not losing weight, then how can u be losing LBM? Most people record measurements monthly as well. Look at them in months, most people don't lose on a weekly basis with inches.
  • RomanaW
    RomanaW Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't get lost in tdee, bmr etc and experiment with reducing calories by 500 and you'll see.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    THese calculators are estimates and equations. If you are not getting the results you are seeking I definitely recommend dropping your calorie intake.

THanks for adding me as a friend. Are you eating back your exercise calories? For TDEE you eat a constant calorie intake and do not eat back the calories. I noticed on the few days I looked at you had eationg mostly between 2100-2300, which would be negating part of your calorie deficit.
  • blueeyeddragon2115
    Options
    As 300 Calories under your BMR you will only lose 2.5lbs a month. Try reducing your caloric intake by 200 calories more which would put you at -1 lb per week. You might see more loss on the scale if that is what you would like.
  • 19bulldog60
    19bulldog60 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options

After using the spreadsheet, I found that my TDEE is 2638, and my BMR is 1991

I am by NO means an expert, so I'm just suggesting what I would do, starting today.

I would eat at 2100 and make it a priority to do 3 days of strength, plus 3 days of cardio (up to 5 days of cardio if you feel like doing more). Then I would see where I was in two weeks.