Do you like Clif bars??? Other recovery foods?

Options
Do you like them? Do you think they are good nutritionally or would I be ruining my diet if I start eating them? What else do other people eat as recovery food after training?

Replies

• Amazing1985RSD
    Options
    usually just protein shakes. Gummy bears are good too though.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I love cliff bars (chocolate mint is my favourite) however I don't use them as recovery food. They are often part of a pre-race meal for me or sometimes as a pre-workout snack. They are billed as energy bars and do have some calories in them.

They won't "ruin" your diet unless you over eat but I don't think they are the best food out there. If you like them and they replace a less wise food choice and fit in your macros, go ahead.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I workout in the morning and I have Shakeology for breakfast right after.
  • sharpad25
    Options
    I have a Clif Bar every morning :)
    My favorite is the white chocolate macadamian but the peanut butter is good too!!
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Anyone else??
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Do you like them? Do you think they are good nutritionally or would I be ruining my diet if I start eating them? What else do other people eat as recovery food after training?

I actually eat them for breakfast sometimes, or lunch, or snack. I love them. I don't do "recovery food after training" though. And I don't see how they could possible ruin your diet, unless your diet is pretty restrictive. I do IIFYM, and Clif Bars fit my macros quite nicely. In fact, sometimes I fit in two of them.
  • sassafrascas
    sassafrascas Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I do not eat them regularly, but I do enjoy the white chocolate macadamia one. For me its usually a quick grab snack.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    My favorite recovery food is chocolate milk (hot chocolate when it's cold out), with a slice of peanut butter toast if I need something else. But I do like Clif bars from time to time--I second the white chocolate macadamia nut. It's yummy.
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    def the white chocolate mac nut and chocolate chip are my two favorites. theyre more of a treat for me when i have extra calories to eat, or i eat it when i need a pick me up. i try not to eat too many of them, since they whop in at around 40+ carbs and 7g of fat..

but still soooo good!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I love Clif bars, usually have them as a quick breakfast on days I'm really busy, or as an after-workout snack :)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    I like Clif bars, they have a good amount of protein and not to super high in sodium. I usually have one has a mid morning or afternoon snack, I just make sure it fits into my day.
  • chrisjathompson
    chrisjathompson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have a couple cases, but I find the complicate my day by filling my macros in a weird way. They do taste great though.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Some of the flavors require getting used to, but I agree the macadamia is delicious.
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like them. The zone ones are better I think.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love their counterpart, Luna Bars. The peppermint chocolate one is my favorite and is a great way for me to get my sweets without regret. :happy:
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I used to use them as one of my food groups. I've since cut them out, and then noticed I felt better for it. Also have tried to reduce the amount of Soy that comes into my system, almost all the different bars out there have soy in them.

For now I avoid any processed foods/bars for pre, post, or during workouts and just try to get what I need for the day in my meals.
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I like the Luna Bars-- Peppermint chocolate also. I usually cannot eat a whole one. I don't exercise as much as most of the folks replying.. not there yet :) But, when I teach 2 Spin classes in a row-- I will bring a Luna Bar with me to nibble on between the classes. Even then.. it is so filling, I cannot eat a whole one.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I love the regular Clifs, builders and Luna bars. If they fit in your macros and you like the taste, go for it!
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat the Luna Protein Bars to get some extra protein between breakfast and lunch. Very filling and has 12 grams of protein!! They also tend to be less caloric than the Cliff bars. Depending on which flavor, they are usually around 180-190 calories per bar.
  • busycitystreets
    busycitystreets Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Not the worst thing you could be eating. Sugar is high, though. I wouldn't eat these every day. They are pretty yummy, though!