Hot Hula- Calories Burned?

Options
I went to my first Hot Hula class today... surprisingly challenging, works your core, and most definitely your thighs. By the end I was sweating up a storm.

I'm trying to input exercise for today, but MFP doesn't have a count for Hula OR Hot Hula... so I'm not sure what I should input.

Any advice?

Replies

• Zumbalady808
    Options
    I would estimate 500 just to be on the safe side but you gotta wear a HRM to actually figure out how many calories you are actually burning!!!!
  • Fermina70
    Options
    That class sounds like fun! I know MFP has a count for the Wii Hula Hoop. Maybe you can try that?
  • LetItBe4Sanity
    LetItBe4Sanity Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The Wii Fit Hula Hoop estimates somewhere between 150 and 200 calories for a full hour... seriously? :( I didn't want to enter a new exercise since I don't know for sure, so I ended up going with "belly dancing" which gives me around 289. This makes me feel like it was a terrible workout.... lol
  • bhonniered
    Options
    How about using the belly dancing? Or possibly just the dancing, aerobic, ballet or modern, twist? The belly dancing sounds closer.
  • dropofhope
    Options
    I tried Hot hula Fitness for the first time today and it was awesome!!! I LOVED t! This will definitely replace Zumba for a while. I think Hot Hula burns more calories than Zumba because it's so core and quad intensive. What a great new workout!
  • ravingjoy
    Options
    I'm trying to find calories for my hula class. only hot if the weather is, we dance outside, and on nice days looking at the ocean. My hula teacher calls it low-impact aerobics since we aren't a hula halau when he talks to others. I am going to ask him today what he thinks we burn. the kahiko (old chant dancing) is way faster than the awana (modern to music) hula but they overlap. the lower I can go the more it is a workout. The best part about hula is tho that if I eat too much, I can just practice hula and burn off calories without going anywhere or having any special equipment. hands voice and feet are all i need and even a small space works. I don't use any hula hoops.
  • ravingjoy
    Options
    ok, checked some dance exercise sites and got 333 calories per hour, lumped in with belly dancing.
  • gothina13
    gothina13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm planning on doing my first Hot Hula class tonight. I found your post in my search for the calorie count.
    :happy:
  • hybeeluv
    Options
    Hi Ladies, I live in New Zealand and absolutely love doing HOT HULA...After searching through articles I found one with the founder of Hot Hula Anna-Rita Sloss stating a beginner at Hot Hula can burn 500-600 calories and those who are advanced can burn up to 900 calories....So I have added Hot Hula to our exercise table. Happy Hot Hula Ladies.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I do Hot Hula at home since there are no classes nearby. When I wear my hr monitor it says I burn about 350 in 40 minutes. I have been doing hula for about 16 years and love this workout so much I have been taking the home instructors course. I just found out one of my Hula sisters is doing a Hot hula demo at a club nearby. Cannot wait to attend.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    If yore consistent and can keep the hoop going throughout the whole time, roughly 6 calories per minute and 7 for a weighted hoop.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    Hot hula is not the same as hula hooping. It is a cardio dance work out that uses moves from Polynesian dance and hip hop dance. It engages all of your core and leg muscles continuously. It is not as high impact as Zumba, but you definitely get a good work out. Also there is a standing legs and abs portion that is a very effective for toning and strengthening these areas.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is between 6-10 calories per minute.

I use a weighted hula so I added it on here at 8 per minute.

But I play around a lot with taking it up to my chest and down to my hips,
    not just on my waist - and there are lots of variations that will up the calories burnt.

You can hula with very little movement, so it's really up to the hooper -
    the more you move, and the faster, the more calories.
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    I've heard that it is between 6-10 calories per minute.

I use a weighted hula so I added it on here at 8 per minute.

But I play around a lot with taking it up to my chest and down to my hips,
    not just on my waist - and there are lots of variations that will up the calories burnt.

You can hula with very little movement, so it's really up to the hooper -
    the more you move, and the faster, the more calories.

Hot Hula doesn't use a hula hoop. It is a Polynesian based work out with some hip hop. It burns calories more like Zumba. I know when I do it, I feel I worked out as hard as I do in a Zumba class. I used this counter to calculate my calories http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/ Depending on how intense I burn anywhere from 650 to 900 calories an hour.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I went to my first Hot Hula class today... surprisingly challenging, works your core, and most definitely your thighs. By the end I was sweating up a storm.

I'm trying to input exercise for today, but MFP doesn't have a count for Hula OR Hot Hula... so I'm not sure what I should input.

Any advice?

I would just pick a cardio exercise that seems similar. Sounds like great fun! An HRM helps too, but for the most part most of the calorie burns are way higher than what you actually burn, even with HRM.
  • GRL22
    GRL22 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love love love hot hula!! I also take belly dance and the two type of dance really compliment one another. I also want to know exactly how many calories I personally burn or as close to that as possible during a hot hula class so I'm going to keep doing some research. Happy hula-ing ! So happy that its so popular because that means it'll be a regular gym class offered for a while! I took a class just tonight at the Bella terra sport in Huntington Beach, ca. It was such a good workout !
  • ibfree1027
    ibfree1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Calories_Burned.asp

I found this calorie counter and thought it might be helpful

Happy Hula!
  • kriz88
    kriz88 Posts: 2
    Options
    The more you move, the more you burn. "Burn up to 1100 calories per hour"

http://ktla.com/2013/01/07/hot-hula-fitness-burn-up-to-1100-calories-per-hour/#axzz2MiGGzJXm
  • samanthawarren
    Options
    FYI anyone in CT, HOT HULA will be at the CT Health and Wellness Festival at the CT Convention Center on Sunday at 12 noon.