Shake Suggestions

Options
I really don't want a debate regarding real food vs shakes.
In a few weeks I am getting braces on my teeth. Orthro has prepped me that I'm likely going to not want to eat/need to eat very slowly for the first few weeks.
My concern is I'm working out a lot and training for some races (10k and a half marathon) and need food! I've planned on Greek yogurt, purred soups etc but wonder if I should consider a Meal replacement.

I've tried a few protein shakes and find them chalky and gross, not willing to risk the $ on shakeology.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Mischieviousme777
    Mischieviousme777 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    You could always make your own shakes/smoothies. There's TONS of recipes out there, and the homemade ones arent chalky or craplike in taste.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Awesome idea and will research later, my concern off the top of my head is prep time on workdays (i prep my lunch the night before now) and them settling in the fridge by lunch time.
  • jade14b
    jade14b Posts: 22
    Options
    An easy way to prep shakes for breakfast is to put all of the ingredients (berries, yogurt, veggies, protein powder) into individual freezable containers /ziplock bags way ahead of time like sunday afternoon. The night before you use one, pop it into the fridge to thaw, then toss it into the blender with some milk in the am. For work you can take the frozen ingredients and blend them there if you get one of those small bullet blenders. Good ones can cost a bit but it is a great investment
  • Monisfit4life
    Monisfit4life Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of shakes out there that are really good. I have tried and liked Myoplex, GNC Total lean, Herbalife, Shakeology and those were the best to me.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    IDK. I wore braces for 4 years. I drank milkshakes make with ice cream and chocolate syrup sometimes.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Get a bunch of protein powder, fruit, and blendable veggies. Have fun.
  • JudibugDesigns
    JudibugDesigns Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Walmart sells Body Fortress Whey Isolate for around $25...it tastes better than most of the expensive pyramid shakes and there are bunches of flavours and options(soy, whey, higher protein etc)...I'm sure other stores have similar products.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I've tried different shakes and shakeology is the only one that really fills me up enough to really be a meal replacement.
  • JamieRebecca23
    Options
    i really like the taste of the body by vi shakes. it tastes like cake batter. when i feel like having a shake for bfast i make a banana cream pie shake or apple pie one. they seriously taste great. i don't use shakes as a diet... i randomly replace bfast here or there with one though. love it. the powder itself is 90 calories per serving.
  • sjobowes
    sjobowes Posts: 13
    Options
    I drink shakeology every day for the last two years along with working out 6 days a week. I can give you more information if you would like. I love the chocolate with a half a banana and PB2. I personally drink the shakes for digestive issues and just to be healthy, I would say they probably helped in losing weight, along with my workouts and myfitnesspal. They have loads of good stuff in them and I am horrible at taking vitamins. Let me know if you are interested, I have samples I could mail you. Good luck! :)
  • ladyrider55
    ladyrider55 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    People on here mentioned several protein powders, I made a list and went shopping. I bought Pure Protein Plus (it wasn't on my list) and I love it!!! I can mix with soymilk or water, add a frozen fruit and PB2 and it's fantastic. Hope you find one that you like :smile:
  • mstjmack26
    mstjmack26 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    The whey protein powder by body fortress from walmart is really good, in my opinion. The strawberry is my favorite...I mix mine with real fruit or frozen depending but always with a banana.
  • ja9smakinachange
    ja9smakinachange Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    My fear of commitment concerns me regarding picking a giant tub of protien powder without sampling.

When you mix with fruit/veg milk and blend are they all basicly the same?

Someone mentioned one tasting like cake batter, that is not what I'm looking for - I dont mind chocolate flavour but would rather it taste like a smootie than a milkshake.
  • gvanleer
    gvanleer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I use Melaleuca Proflex 20 Protein Shake. They taste great and deliver 20g of protein per serving without the chalky taste. Add fruit and veg and it tastes like a smoothie...yum:-)
  • sjobowes
    sjobowes Posts: 13
    Options
    shakeology has a tropical, chocolage and a greenberry. i love the chocolate and tropical. the tropical is more like a fruit smoothie, but chocolate is by far my favorite. yummy! i don't like cake, so i wouldn't drink cake batter! :) hope that helps. good luck. message me if you have any questions on the shakeology. have a great weekend.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    My fear of commitment concerns me regarding picking a giant tub of protien powder without sampling.

When you mix with fruit/veg milk and blend are they all basicly the same?

Someone mentioned one tasting like cake batter, that is not what I'm looking for - I dont mind chocolate flavour but would rather it taste like a smootie than a milkshake.

The flavors they add are pretty strong. But you can get unflavored whey that would be a lot more appropriate for smoothies if you don't want that milkshake flavor. It'll make it somewhat creamy, but without much of any flavor.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    There are several stores (both online and local) that have sample packets We all have different tastes so it really is a personal preference. My advice is to pick up a few samples and start trying them out.

My personal favorite is Shakeology or Jay Robb Vanilla. Some days I go for mixing with unsweetened coconut milk and drinking, which is quick and easy and other times I blend with ice for a smoothie type drink.

Best of luck!