falling off before I'm even on :-(

Options
Uggggh...best laid plans...so easily swayed. Not even one day into my good intentions and I fell off track (again.) Yesterday my son called; he was having intense heart pain. A (sleepless) night and day later, all is calm and he is on the mend, but I totally used this as an excuse to eat everything unhealthy- bagels, bread, rice pudding. And this is a perfect example of what I keep doing: ANY excuse to drift into Carb/Sugar/Salt Land- comfort foods which in the end (my expanding end) aren't a comfort at all! I hope to find some people to talk to in here-I used a similar site for quitting smoking 3 years ago and found great support...If you're out there and share my yo-yo frustration I'd love to hear from you!

Replies

• fvolley
    fvolley Posts: 124
    Options
    I just did this last week . My 4 year old daughter got a flu type thing and was super sick. So of course I said to myself well I cant be crabby and dieting I need to eat and be well for her. I have done it before this as well. I swear I hate having food as my friend because I always have it. Good times bad times anytime really.

I have been reading some dieting type books lately which helps me keep it on my mind when I start to sway. It really is all about changing your mentality about food. Food cant be a comfort or a friend to you anymore, otherwise you will end up abusing it.

I'm on here hoping to find people to help me stay accountable. I feel like when I am accountable I do better. You can do it too, you have it in you. Good Luck! Stay strong!
  • fitinthirteen
    Options
    thanks for the support, fvolley! I needed it:-) Today will be a new day, and I'll keep coming back here!
  • Saree1902
    Saree1902 Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I'm a definite yoyo-er! Had a major diet meltdown before Xmas as I just couldn't cope with the festive season, so I ate lots of fatty food and glued my backside to the sofa...which ended up making me feel worse! And I gained all the weight I had lost over the previous 2-3 months (6lb...I'm not a speedy weight-loser!)

Now, I'm mostly pretty dedicated. I still eat a lot, but I'm back to my usual workout routine of running, gym and pilates.

One thing that helps me is that a workout does make me feel better than an eating binge. Plus the mantra of '10minutes is better than nothing' gets me out the door and I usually do more than 10minutes. Of course, if I've had no sleep then I'm fairly useless and I want carbs and to hide under the duvet snarling at anyone who appraoches... On these days I just log everything without worrying too much about what it is and tell myself that tomorrow will be better.

Hope this helps - you are by no means alone!

S x
  • Stacey_Leeann
    Options
    I can relate. It seems like I can always do well for about a week then something, anything happens and I fall right off! Most of the time my plan ends right then! I just quit! But, what I have thought about and planned for this time is that I am human. Bad days are going to happen, and I WILL fall off the wagon. But it is up to me get back up and start over!! Good luck!
  • lockedcj7
    lockedcj7 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat when I'm bored or nervous. Whenever I feel like snacking, I force myself to have a piece of fruit instead of chips or candy bars. If that doesn't work, I get up and do something active. Even if it's as simple as walking to the mailbox, it keeps me from eating and more movement is always a good thing.

My weakness is free food. I intended to have my weight-loss shake and banana for breakfast but I got to work and there was a spread left over from an earlier meeting. Bacon, sausage, grits and scrambled eggs. I did manage to not eat the biscuit. Small victories. At least I didn't have my regular breakfast and the buffet.
  • nczuczu
    nczuczu Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Many of us on this site have the same problem, that is why we have a weight problem. However, by creating this account, you have acknowledged you have a problem and want to change your behavior. Today is a new day. Let whatever you did yesterday or last week or last year stay behind you and move forward! You can do this! You just need to consistently enter the food you eat (good, bad and ugly) into the tool. Then get moving and enter your exercise in as well. You will begin to notice a change, not only on the scale, but in the way your clothes feel and your energy level. you can do this!!! Just stick to it!
  • dliz908
    dliz908 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. I would use any little excuse to overeat, or "treat' myself to fatty foods. So much so that it just became normal. I still get those urges...that little voice that says to me "You worked hard this week, and you are having such a bad day...its OK to order lunch in from Pizza Hut".

It does get easier and easier to ignore those thoughts though. I found this picture on pinterest and repeating this to myself really helped me get over those urges

iqx6xc.jpg