Seeking Help to Adjust Calorie Intake

Options
I am reading alot reg people sticking to the 1200 MFP puts in and seeing that many who up their calories have more success with loss - and it makes sense, alot of sense - when I switched 4 weeks ago to plant based, I lost 11 lbs very fast but since then I am staying as is and I have not deviated from my program.

Can someone tell me what TDEE is??? I am sure I ran into the full descrip of this but I am drawing a blank.

My BMR from this site I believe was 1450 - when I plugged in wanting to lose 2 lbs per week (who doesn't) MFP calculated me at 1200 per day but it appears from so many posts that # is most likely too low.

What I am wondering is how do I exactly calculate an adjusted calorie intake to something higher but not too high that I gain (god forbid) and once I have that #, should I go back into MFP and manually change my calories to that #???

I'd really like to start today as I am staying away from the scale but I know my body and I really feel no change since that 1st drop - any help would be great!

Replies

• 72MonteCarla
    72MonteCarla Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow - that was eye opening - so my BMR from MFP is 1450 (but the online tool set me for 1200 a day) - I went to Fitness Frog and it calculated a TDEE at 1843.

So, if I get this correct, if hypothetically I were to eat 1843, I'd maintain - and in theory eating under that # I would lose with a caveat - if you eat too far under the body readjusts to maintain where you are using your fat for energy and despite initial drops in weight, you stop losing - did I come close to getting that right?

I guess the next logical question is - what # (discarding the 1200 MFP assigned - I assume now I should discard that and reset it), do I pick between my BMR and TDEE, i.e. between the 1450 and 1843 that will jump start my body to be nourished and to lose the weight???? Is there some other calculation to get that one final # to set MFP to and eat at that # each day???

Also, side note, is Fitness Frog a decent site to get the TDEE or would you recommend another one???

It is clear I am really undereating and I can see why I initially dropped and now just staying the same - I was frustrated at my own darn doing!

Pls reply as this has been so helpful!
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My BMR and TDEE is almost exact to yours. If I stick with 1500 and I mean a strict 1500, I almost always lose very well.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So, if I get this correct, if hypothetically I were to eat 1843, I'd maintain - and in theory eating under that # I would lose with a caveat - if you eat too far under the body readjusts to maintain where you are using your fat for energy and despite initial drops in weight, you stop losing - did I come close to getting that right?

I guess the next logical question is - what # (discarding the 1200 MFP assigned - I assume now I should discard that and reset it), do I pick between my BMR and TDEE, i.e. between the 1450 and 1843 that will jump start my body to be nourished and to lose the weight???? Is there some other calculation to get that one final # to set MFP to and eat at that # each day???

Also, side note, is Fitness Frog a decent site to get the TDEE or would you recommend another one???

For the first part, yes - that's basically it. Close enough for (y)our purposes here.

For the second, also yes, more or less. If you've been undereating for too long, though, it may take a while before you see results, as your metabolism will need to find it's way back to operating properly. That's a clumsy way of putting it, but I think/hope you understand what I mean. As such, you may have a gain at first - but don't get discouraged - once your metabolism is back in good working order, you'll see results.

As far as fitnessfrog goes, it seems fine. I get pretty close to the same number over at http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr. And those numbers work pretty well for me.

You can either simply adjust your MFP fitness profile to lose a particular amount of weight until it comes up with a number you want, or you can go to your MFP "MY HOME" page, click "Goals," then "CHANGE GOALS," "Custom" and "Continue," and manually input a Calorie goal between BMR and TDEE.

edit: The exact Calorie number to input depends upon how much you really have to lose. If you have less than 10 lbs, then go with TDEE-10% - which would be about 1650, provided 1843 is your TDEE. If you have 10-20 lbs, try TDEE-15% - about 1560. And if you have over 20 lbs to lose, you may be able to go with the "standard" TDEE-20% - which would be 1475.

In addition, I just saw Bonny's post. 1500 is a good - nice and round, too - number to shoot for if you have a bit to lose. Whatever number you end up with, just try to get close - a little over or under here and there is fine.
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    I do, I get exactly what you are saying and the comment reg your wife - she is same height and close to my BF % - I saw you upped her to 2K and it was only then the weight changed - I get it and I understand the metabolism issue as well and yes, thanks for pre-empting the issue with slight gain until the system understands what to do..........

So I went to the Fat 2 Fit and following your screen shots plugged in #'s - lingering question - I see you particularly note to plug in your current weight on the one screen that asks for your goal weight - I was unclear why and obviously, the #'s change - with my true goal weight the # comes back as 1877 and your way with using current weight, it comes back as 2122. Also, for comparison, the Fitness Frog was in the 1800's................

So do I knock off the 20% from the 1800 # or the 2122#? I figure that this would be the # I'd readjust to per day - right??

And I think I may indeed manually go back in and readjust the #'s in MFP as visually I see this every day, all day and it helps - I am almost there in getting a decent # to try - just this last piece and maybe a short explanation why you asked for us to plug in the current weight #............thanks so much!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When using the TDEE method, there are some other variables to consider...and I'll try not to muddy the waters too much.

What activity level did you give yourself when calculating your TDEE? When calculating your TDEE, you should include all exercise, as well as your day to day. If you are exercising at all, most would be considered light active at minimum (usually 1-3 hours of exercise per week). To be honest, 1843 seems like a low TDEE to me...did you select sedentary? Many people select sedentary when in reality, many people aren't actually sedentary.

Most people who use the TDEE method use a % off rather than the standard 500 calories (to lose 1 Lb per week, etc). So, TDEE - 20% (typical starting point), in your case would be 1,474 or thereabouts...just above your BMR. If your TDEE calc is accurate, you'd have a weight loss deficit of 369 calories which would give you roughly 3/4 Lb per week weight loss. I'm thinking your TDEE might be a little higher, so you would probably lose between 1-1.5 Lb per week (not linear) on 1,500ish or so calories. At any rate, if you eat between your BMR and TDEE you will lose.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I do, I get exactly what you are saying and the comment reg your wife

Whoa, whoa, whoa!!! Bonny's not my wife!

I'm gonna get in trouble...

:laugh:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So I went to the Fat 2 Fit and following your screen shots plugged in #'s - lingering question - I see you particularly note to plug in your current weight on the one screen that asks for your goal weight - I was unclear why and obviously, the #'s change - with my true goal weight the # comes back as 1877 and your way with using current weight, it comes back as 2122. Also, for comparison, the Fitness Frog was in the 1800's................

So do I knock off the 20% from the 1800 # or the 2122#? I figure that this would be the # I'd readjust to per day - right??

Knock the 20% off the 2122. The way fat2fit works is you put in your goal weight and if you eat that many calories, eventually you will get down to goal and those same calories will be your maintenance calories. It's a great way to go if you have extreme patience and/or have very little weight to lose (i.e. 5-10 Lbs).

As I noted in your previous post, I thought your initial TDEE seemed kind of low...if you took the 20% off of 2122 you'd be roughly 1,700 calories which sounds more like it...be roughly 1 Lb per week
  • TR0berts
    Options
    What activity level did you give yourself when calculating your TDEE? When calculating your TDEE, you should include all exercise, as well as your day to day. If you are exercising at all, most would be considered light active at minimum (usually 1-3 hours of exercise per week). To be honest, 1843 seems like a low TDEE to me...did you select sedentary? Many people select sedentary when in reality, many people aren't actually sedentary.

DOH!!! :blushing:

I completely forgot that important nugget. Thanks, wolfman.

If you did include your activity level in your TDEE calculation, then simply using the goal weight TDEE - and not subtracting anything at all - should work, too. It will probably just take a bit longer. But, by the time you get to your goal, you'll already be eating the right amount, so you shouldn't have any additional guesswork. Either that, or subtract from the TDEE from your current weight. Either way should work our for you.
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    I hear you - I went back because the long post with the great explanation noted to mark "light activity" unless you were in bed all day - in fact I wear a pedometer at work (huge corporation with many floors and many bldgs) - I can easily login 5000-10,000 steps a day and that was my follow up question - my pedometer will calculate out that to miles as well as calorie burned - once I readjust and figure this new # per day, should I login in these calories burned to MFP and eat them back or have they already been considered in the intial calculation??

So anyway, with changing to light from sedentary I now get a 2111 from Fitness Frog and 2122 from Fat 2 Fit - again, that is using plugging in my current weight for GOAL as he noted which I am still unsure why but I am sure there is a valid reason and something totally obvious I am not seeing..............

So, TDEE using true GOAL is 1877 and TDEE using current weight as he noted is 2122 from one site and 2111 from another - should I take off 20 % (I want to lose 35-40 overall) the 1877 or the 2122??? It seems like this higher # might be the better indicator from all you are nothing - I guess that answer as to why you use current weight on the one site and not goal would answer this.............
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Ok - I get it - so, if I want to lose more then one lb per week, wouldn't I go with 20% off the 2122 making it around 1698 or somewhere in that ballpark??? I am looking to lose a total of 35-40 overall. Maybe 1600 a day??? Just tossing it out............

Would going down to that nice round # of 1500 now be too low or worth a try??? I don't want to be in that mode of no movement in weight and the scale not moving, KWIM???

Also, thoughts on the pedometer and steps - do I login to MFP or is that accounted for???

Sorry for the "wife" comment - I think I read that wrong! LOL!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Ok - 2122 is the # to work off of - now it's the % off if I want to lose more then 1 lb per week - my total overall drop I want is 35-40.

If I do 20% from 2122 I get 1697

If I do 25% from 2122 I get 1591

I assume 30% is too high as I am not morbidly obese - could either of you tell me your best educated guess as to a good readjusted # I could move to as a way of starting and resetting my body to start working and burning??

You both have been a huge help! I am leaving work soon and want to update MFP before I go and have it set.............thanks again!
  • Bonny619
    Options
    LOL

Go with 1600!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    After all this detail and figuring out and knowing logically it makes sense - I am SCARED to eat 1600 a day! Crazy huh?! LOL!
  • Bonny619
    Options
    Seriously, don't be! You'll lose.
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    All right - went in to MFP as described and plugged in 1600 - figure that is slightly lower then 1700 but not too low at 1500 - that is about 24% less then TDEE - should be ok, right???? I think it was agreed at 1700 would be about a pound a week so I went for a little less but not too much.

And the pedometer I wear - do I even bother to log that in with all the steps or is this already figured out???

Thank you everyone - off to get kids and home to EAT!!!!!
  • kmcosgrove115
    Options
    Ok, I am "adjusted" - just wondering if after all this description and figuring should I still login the steps from my pedometer or not??? It calculates miles and calories burned - was not sure if what was figured here already included that or not - anyone have any ideas on this????
  • Bonny619
    Options
    I probably wouldn't. Unless you do some sort of really high intensity workout and you burn a TON of cals...I would probably just stick with 1600.
  • StAcY_LyNn22
    StAcY_LyNn22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Kmcosgrove - can you keep us updated on your progress after upping your calorie intake. I am in a very similar situation and scared to death to up my calories. Funny what games our minds play huh?! I would love to hear of your progress! Thanks for positng this question and thanks to those who have given wonderful responses....:smile: