Measuring Body Fat

Options
Just curious what methods you all use to measure body fat. I know accurately measuring body fat is not an easy task, but I am looking for a way to somewhat accurately track it as begin strength training and working out.

While I do belong to a gym, it is a "budget" gym and does not have any type of professional body fat measuring tools available. While researching, I've run across a few things, calipers, fancy bathroom scales that claim to measure body fat, etc., but before investing any money, wanted to check with the community to see if there was a consensus on a cost-effective, somewhat accurate weigh to measure and track this.

I've also encountered a few formulas based off height, weight and certain measurements. Due to their simplicity and cost-effectiveness, I would like to believe they are accurate, but they keep putting me at approximately 25% body fat. I would like that to be true, but am feeling skeptical. I have lost enough weight to put me in the healthy weight range for my height (albeit on the higher end), but would definitely classify myself as "skinny fat". I was obstinate and a bit lazy during my weight loss, and did no real working out to speak of, and absolutely no strength training (I am working on changing this now!). I am a smaller version of my once larger self, but I definitely appear to have quite a bit of body fat and little muscle tone.

Replies

• mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Well, most people will tell you that you don't truly need accuracy -- what you need is consistency.
    If the scales, formulas, calipers, or whatever tell you you're at 25% now, and 20% later, does it truly matter if you were at 28% and then 23% respectively? As long as you're heading in a direction that you're happy with, what else truly matters?

For that matter, why does the %age matter at all? Just look in a mirror, and if you're happy, great, and if not, keep working! And in that vein, check out this pic, and see where you fit on it:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

To actually answer your question, I use a scale at the gym. Those scales use electrical impedance to estimate your %age, and they are often both inaccurate (by up to 10% I've heard), and inconsistent (depending on your hydration level at the moment, and don't even THINK about using it post-workout, when you're all sweaty). But it's good enough for me. I'm aiming to look like I'm somewhere in the 15-20% range on the chart I linked to above, no matter what the actual number truly is.

Best of luck!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym and use their handheld electrical device, whatever it's called. I do believe that it has the similar issue to the scale mikejholmes used; accuracy based on hydration. But yeah, it's all about how serious you want to get. I figure once I see the number I want, I'm good with it.
  • Jodycnd
    Jodycnd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a Tanita scale at my house the does the BF% but I usually jump off before it has time to calculate. I recently switched the IPOARM so now I've got a spreadsheet going with my weight and measurements and tracking the Original, Military, Covert Bailey and scale BF% measurements and I average them.

They fluctuate a lot (37.9% Military, 27.4 Original, 28.6 Covert-Bailey and 34.5% per scale this last time) so while I find it interesting to see what the numbers are, I figure if I consistently just average them and watch them go down, I will hit my goal of 20%. I am curious if they become more similar when I get closer to 20%. I take measurements once a month.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use an Omron electrical impedance bathroom scale (sensors for both hands & feet).
    Similar thoughts to "mikejholmes" above - unlikely to be accurate but I do find it consistent as long as you measure same time every day.
    Downward trend in bodyfat reported by the scales matched my weightloss and also what I see in the mirror.

Thing to be careful of is that the reading will vary if you jump on at different times of the day. First thing in the morning always shows a couple of percent higher than later in the day.
    I plan on getting a BodPod check done in the near future to see what the real numbers are.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently (as in it arrived in the mail 2 days ago) invested in a bathroom scale that measures body fat. I did some research and it seems many newer models are as accurate as calipers (which I'm not trained to use nor do I know anyone who is), and since I don't want to pay the price for repeated DEXA scans, it seemed the best choice.

I've measured several times since I got it and the BF measurement has been consistent, while the weight and water (which is measures separately) have fluctuated. All that seems logical, so I am pleased so far. The BF% it gave was lower than I'd expected, especially since I'm a pear shape and carry most of weight in my hips. But I'm not sure now if it really is off by much. I did an internet search for pics of women of different BF % and many of those with the reading it gave didn't look much different from me. I hope it's right because it would mean that I've dropped from the "acceptable" to "fitness" range.

But as long as it's consistent and I can track progess I consider it a good investment.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    bcattoes: what brand of scale did you get?
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have a Salter scale which you enter in age and m/f once and does weight, bmi, fat, water each time.

I've tracked with it from when I started MFP each week and its tracked from:

168.4 lbs
    26.4 bmi
    25% body fat
    57% water

to now (this morning)

134.2 lbs
    21.1 bmi
    13.5 % body fat
    65.3 % water
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    bcattoes: what brand of scale did you get?

EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale. I bought it from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/EatSmart-Precision-Capacity-Recognition-Technology/dp/B004L6NTHU