How many calories should I be eating?

Options
Hello all! Thank you in advance for taking your time to help me with my question!

I am 5'9 current weight is 190.4, my goal weight is about 160. My highest was 235 and I have gradually reduced my weight over time with fad diets, exercise, and yo-yo dieting.

I have recently started a very vigorous routine and I am a little confused about what my calorie intake should be. I have been doing about 1000-1500 a day averaging around 1200 but I am afraid I may not be getting enough.

This is my daily routine:
- 6:00 - INSANITY (I am new to the program so I am not like the super humans on the video yet but giving it my all)
- I work from 8:30 - 5:30 and have a one hour lunch. Usually I use 20-30mins of my lunch for a brisk walk
- After work I hit the gym for about 1.5 hours. Includes: 35 - 50 mins on Elliptical (high intensity-including cool down), I alternate arm/leg days, and sometimes I'll add 15-20 mins of the treadmill 3.5 on about 3.5 incline. Sometime I try to do 2min walk 2min jog as I am trying to be the runner I never was.

I just really need to know if 1200ish calories is enough for the amount of exercise I am doing. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

Replies

• Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Are you using a heart rate monitor?
    During Insanity, I would average anywhere from 200-500 calories burned. Even with 30DS, my burns fluctuate daily.

Honestly with the amount of excercise you're doing, 1600+ should be your goal.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    If you log all of this into MFP, you will have your answer. There is debate over how many of your exercise calories you should eat back, but with your regimen, you should be eating at least 1/2 back. Trust the system.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You need to log the exercise and eat the calories :)
  • missblissj
    Options
    Haven't gotten a heart rate monitor yet. Although I really want one especially while doing Insanity.

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try to adjust MFP to see where I should be at.

Givemewings ~ Can you tell me what you mean. Like if I burn off 1000 calories I should eat 1000 more calories?

My main goal is weight loss. I don't want to work my butt off exercising and not lose because of calories.
  • slroggemann
    slroggemann Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I would keep your net intake at over 1000 - that's with exercise calories factored in, so you'll need to eat back some of your exercise calories. Your body needs nutrients to function properly, so don't let your net intake be too low.

I also highly recommend an HRM - I'm so glad I bought mine so I can accurately track my burns and know how much I should eat or how many calories I need to eat back.
  • missblissj
    Options
    I do really want one. But they are expensive especially since I am leaning towards the wrist watch (without band).

Thank you for the advice, the "net" thing makes sense.

Yesterday my food was 1169 - My exercise was 828 (NOT including Insanity) so my net was 341.... I have a feeling that is NOT good at all.. :( I am also broke, so my groceries are dwindled down to the bare minimum. I look forward to grocery shopping this weekend.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Search for the thread titled in place of a roadmap. That explains it all.

Exercising so much and eating so little is hurting your body. When you don't consume enough you lose more muscle mass than you would if you do things properly. Muscle loss lowers your metabolism, hurts your organs and can cause injury.

Find out what your BMR is, find out what your TDEE is. Always net your BMR.

If you can't net more calories due to the amount of exercise you do, lay off the exercise.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with those that say follow the Roadmap.

I'm a similar height and weight to you but older and eat around 1600 calories a day plus exercise calories (I run, hike and lift weights and use an HRM to calculate my calorie burn). I'm losing steadily each week on this and don't feel hungry or tired. I tried 1200 net a day and was miserable and struggled. Your best bet is to find the right calorie level for you...

All the details on the Roadmap are here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Haven't gotten a heart rate monitor yet. Although I really want one especially while doing Insanity.

Thanks for the tip, I am going to try to adjust MFP to see where I should be at.

Givemewings ~ Can you tell me what you mean. Like if I burn off 1000 calories I should eat 1000 more calories?

My main goal is weight loss. I don't want to work my butt off exercising and not lose because of calories.

Oh sweetie, just spotted this - you must be so hungry! You are young and really active and need more fuel. The roadmap link I posted above will set you on the right path.
  • missblissj
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks so much! Honestly, I am not that hungry! But since I don't have a lot of groceries I can probably use a little bit more each day! So happy it's payday!

I noticed after 3 days of the routine I was a bit more sluggish, so everyone's advice will really help me in reaching my goals.

Just a little back story - I did HCG and lost 50lbs, and basically ALL my muscle. Now I am working that much harder to gain those back plus lose the extra fat!
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Hahaha! Thanks so much! Honestly, I am not that hungry! But since I don't have a lot of groceries I can probably use a little bit more each day! So happy it's payday!

I noticed after 3 days of the routine I was a bit more sluggish, so everyone's advice will really help me in reaching my goals.

Just a little back story - I did HCG and lost 50lbs, and basically ALL my muscle. Now I am working that much harder to gain those back plus lose the extra fat!

Out of curiosity why are you doing insanity AND the gym everyday? That is ALOT of exercise. if you like the the gym and insanity you could do 1 every other day (that is what I do 6 days a week) M W F I go to the gym and lift, T T S I do insanity. I am 5'2 158lbs and am eating 1700 a day doing this level of activity, you are doing more activity than me and alot taller so I would think you should be eating alot more than 1700 a day.
  • missblissj
    Options
    I am doing both everyday. Well, that's was my goal...But I was only able to do gym AND insanity Monday/Wednesday this week and wasn't able to go to gym Tues/Thurs/Fri so it's not REALLY every day. But like last night when I couldn't go I biked 4 miles (20mins), and hula-hooped 20min.

Are you losing weight this way?

Honestly, I want to reach my goal within 2 - 3 months and I am just ready to reach my healthy BMI or feel healthy. I am not sure what exactly my goal is since I haven't been "fit" as an adult (YET). The previous diet I did that I lost a bunch of weight required under 1000 calories so I guess it is difficult to wrap my head around over 1500.

The days I did both I didn't really struggle with fatigue or anything.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just asked a similar question yesterday and had a LONG and very eye opening reply reg TDEE - I was way undereating and took the time to properly calculate out my TDEE - I now am at a readjusted 1600 a day as my loss stalled and I was way under eating - I suspect you might be the same - go here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/917111-seeking-help-to-adjust-calorie-intake

and read all that I learned - seriously I think your total per day has absolutely stalled your metabolism - you need to eat more to get the fat loss to happen...........

That link I attached is the post I put up yesterday and got so much info from it - hardest thing to wrap your head around is allowing yourself to eat and not feel guilty - there is a true science and logic when you undereat how your body stops the metabolism entirely to keep your body alive and working - it knows when it is not getting enough nutrition and is smart enough to essentially say ok, you gave me 1300 calories, I need AT LEAST that to keep your heart pumping and your brain working so I will stop other systems to do that - i.e. metabolism - I really encourage you all to read that post, print it like I did, go and calculate your military BF and then the TDEE - then less out anywhere from 10-30% off that # and THAT is calorie per day - you have to eat to make that metabolism move and burn and psychologically we all fear the higher calorie - don't - a friend on that post said to me seriously, eat and the weight loss will come.................

I switched to all plant based so no meat, no dairy and no oil as there is no nutritional value in any of that and it is loaded with fat and impacts health in so many ways - so I KNOW logically I am eating so amazing - and I need to say to myself it's ok, you are hungry for a snack, have the Wasa crispbread and organic peanut butter on it or have the fruit - it's that pychological bump in my mind that says too many calories but reality is, it is not too many, much of my stall for 2 weeks when you see my diary I was always UNDER 1200 - NOT GOOD!

Another friend of mine decided BRAVELY to do her actual TDEE at 2250 a day - WOW! - for 6-8 weeks to jump start the body and then she will less out a % ...................she noted it is a little scary but the logic behind it holds - and hey, if you go over a 100 no sweat - just eat well, small portions but at a higher calorie - hope this helps some of you as it really helped me yesterday and the amount of detail in the replies was exactly what I needed to read!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    EAT MORE..

I started at 181 on Jan 1 (was 197 post partum last Feb) and I eat 1670+ per day.. even more on days that I work out. I train 6x per week and I haven't had a stall in almost three months.

I also don't really feel hungry - I just focus on my macros.. trying to fit in as much protein as possible while paying attention to carbs and fats. Try adding some greek yogurt and investing in a tub of whey protein. You can also try to drink a protein based meal replacement e.g. Ensure - that helps me personally to get in calories when I don't feel like eating or have no time. Most mornings I have one so that I don't slow my metabolism down.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with dixie! Gotta eat more!
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You're doing Insanity and the gym? Imo this is too much working out, you're not a professional athlete or training for an upcoming event. Too much exercise can be bad for you, you're putting your body through alot of stress and it's unnecessary for weight loss.

Either do Insanity or the gym or alternate.

Eating exercise cals didn't work for me, for some it does for others it doesn't. Try it and see what works best for you.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am doing both everyday. Well, that's was my goal...But I was only able to do gym AND insanity Monday/Wednesday this week and wasn't able to go to gym Tues/Thurs/Fri so it's not REALLY every day. But like last night when I couldn't go I biked 4 miles (20mins), and hula-hooped 20min.

Are you losing weight this way?

Honestly, I want to reach my goal within 2 - 3 months and I am just ready to reach my healthy BMI or feel healthy. I am not sure what exactly my goal is since I haven't been "fit" as an adult (YET). The previous diet I did that I lost a bunch of weight required under 1000 calories so I guess it is difficult to wrap my head around over 1500.

The days I did both I didn't really struggle with fatigue or anything.

1500 and that much exercising is still a drastic deficit, you'd probably have to eat 2500 calories to gain or maintain with your level of activity so if you can lose on 1500, instead of 1000 why not eat more?
  • timeforme_2013
    timeforme_2013 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hello all! Thank you in advance for taking your time to help me with my question!

I am 5'9 current weight is 190.4, my goal weight is about 160. My highest was 235 and I have gradually reduced my weight over time with fad diets, exercise, and yo-yo dieting.

I have recently started a very vigorous routine and I am a little confused about what my calorie intake should be. I have been doing about 1000-1500 a day averaging around 1200 but I am afraid I may not be getting enough.

This is my daily routine:
    - 6:00 - INSANITY (I am new to the program so I am not like the super humans on the video yet but giving it my all)
    - I work from 8:30 - 5:30 and have a one hour lunch. Usually I use 20-30mins of my lunch for a brisk walk
    - After work I hit the gym for about 1.5 hours. Includes: 35 - 50 mins on Elliptical (high intensity-including cool down), I alternate arm/leg days, and sometimes I'll add 15-20 mins of the treadmill 3.5 on about 3.5 incline. Sometime I try to do 2min walk 2min jog as I am trying to be the runner I never was.

I just really need to know if 1200ish calories is enough for the amount of exercise I am doing. Any advice welcome.

Thanks!

Follow "In place of a roadmap" by Helloitsdan, Lots of success stories on here from people who have, If you r doing Insanity, you need to eat.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

I switched to all plant based so no meat, no dairy and no oil as there is no nutritional value in any of that and it is loaded with fat and impacts health in so many ways -

Where on earth have you got the idea that meat, dairy and fats have no nutritional value?
  • missblissj
    Options
    Wow. This is all very enlightening. I am going to take some time this weekend to read all of this information! Some of it is really confusing but I am so glad I posted here and I am getting the feedback that I was looking for.

Like I said, although I said "Gym and Insanity" everyday, it actually didn't work out that way. I love the Insanity work-outs, it's pretty tough but honestly, doing only that every morning is not enough for me... I enjoy adding the walk at lunch or the gym after work.