Do you eat a "proper" Sunday lunch?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
The British Government's healthy living campaign Change4Life, has published a poll in which it found a family Sunday lunch could soon be a thing of the past as three-fifths of mothers admit they no longer prepare and eat a meal with their families on Sundays.

Brushing aside gender roles and family status assumptions dating back to the 1950s, do you still have a family sit-down meal at least once a week? Is it on Sunday or another day? What would a typical meal be?Who do you eat with?

Although I'll just cobble together something if I'm on my own on a Sunday, if I'm with family or friends it's a traditional roast dinner all the way - typically roast beef, lamb or chicken, with roast potatoes and parsnips, and seasonal veg - carrots, peas, beans, whatever. Even if there's just two of us - leftovers can easily last me four days in other meals!

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    We always eat as a family at the table, we have dinner together most nights (depends on activities) and eat breakfast, lunch and dinner together at weekends.

My husband cooks a sunday roast, in summer we have BBQ's often.

It's quality family time, I don't understand people that don't do this.
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    I love love love sitting with the family to a traditional Sunday roast although with our busy schedule it doesn't always happen which is sad. The boys are quite often at their fathers or playing rugby. I do make an effort at every opportunity though, Sunday roast is one of my favourite meals (and doesn't have to be that fattening either IMO!)
  • BendySpartan
    BendySpartan Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    We go to the inlaws every Sunday (or they come here) it's not always a roast but we all sit down for dinner. Through the week the three of us sit at the table and eat together, I think this is one of the reasons Chloe will eat most things because we've always done that and always all ate the same! Saturday night is a treat night to eat in the sitting room - unless its something messy to eat! Most days it is 'proper' food cooked from scratch, even if its made the night before to reheat if we are short of time!
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    As a family, we've always made a point of sitting down at the table for lunch on a Sunday. Comes from the days when Mum and Dad tried to do an 'English" lunch for us kids growing up. The habit stuck and now, lunch on a Sunday will not be Indian and one where we all make a point of having it together.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    We eat together as a family every evening and at the weekend but lately haven't always been having the traditional Sunday lunch.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Usually Sundays, and many other days too if we can.
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Nope I don't and neither does my family. I was raised that way also so i never understood the big deal about it.
  • mfrkorey
    mfrkorey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Al the brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles, and cousins (about 30-40 on any given Sunday) still go to my grandmother's on Sundays.

My household tries to sit down to at least 3 more meals per week. Love that talk to catch up with everyone. We get a lot more out of our teenager than "fine" when we sit down like this too!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    It was almost a requirement in my family. Had it every single night except Friday when we'd have a pizza night and eat it watching TGIF. As an adult, my husband and I do eat together, but it's much more informal. When we have kids we will for sure have "family style" eating almost all the time.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids yet, but my boyfriend and I live together. I cook almost every night, but I ALWAYS make a huge breakfast on Sunday morning/afternoon, depending on how long we sleep in :) Its a little tradition we have. friends sleeping on the couch never complain
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Sundays are about the only day of the week when I can eat with MrWW because of our different shifts - if he's working he gets home about 3.15 and I do usually make a roast of some type, otherwise a BBQ if it's good weather. I really don't understand people who claim they can't make a roast dinner, it's one of the easiest things if you ask me!
    1. Place meat in oven (must be the size of a shoe box, even if only two people are eating it)
    2. Open bottle of wine, pour glass, start drinking
    3. Peel some vegetables, put in with the meat
    4. Drink more wine
    5. Peel more vegetables, put in boiling water
    6. Make gravy, slosh some wine in it if there's any left
    7. Open another bottle of wine, eat
    :drinker:
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Options
    Sundays are about the only day of the week when I can eat with MrWW because of our different shifts - if he's working he gets home about 3.15 and I do usually make a roast of some type, otherwise a BBQ if it's good weather. I really don't understand people who claim they can't make a roast dinner, it's one of the easiest things if you ask me!
    1. Place meat in oven (must be the size of a shoe box, even if only two people are eating it)
    4. Drink more wine

That is exactly how I make mine!! xx
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    We eat dinner together most nights. It's easy for us because our kids are still little. If my husband works late, I will feed the kids their dinner and wait to eat with him. I do make a bigger than usual dinner either on Sunday or Monday (his usual days off) that we eat around 3pm. Super important!!
  • H1L5
    H1L5 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There is only me and Mr H at home but we sit down at the table every evening. It is the most important part of our day. Mr H always lights a candle too. I often do a roast on Sundays I make 12 yorkshire puddings with it. He eats 10 and I have 2. I get fat and he doesn't. :-(
  • SlickFootAnna
    SlickFootAnna Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    My family gets together every Sunday for dinner (my sister and her family, my folks and us).

That's how it's always been.

Oh, and when I was in my teens/younger we always ate dinner together every day, no exceptions. We were a very unified family.
  • xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, and I live with a housemate. So if I am at home, I just eat whatever I want on the sofa, or at the table if its something messy. About twice a year we sit down together and eat but I am not that interactive.

On weekends when I am at my bfs (most weekends), we always eat at the table (possibly because his table is always clear) and we have a proper roast every couple of months, sometimes on a Saturday though! And we do it fairly healthy so the only bad thing is the Yorkshire puddings.

And when I go to my mums house, about 4 times a year, we always have a roast then too.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dinner every night is eaten together and at the table. Breakfast on weekends is eaten together and at the table. Sunday lunch is eaten together at the table. The only meal we don't eat together every week (other than when we are at work/school) is Saturday lunch.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sunday is NO different than any other day excepot that there is no mail.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I'm usually at my mom's on Sunday and we all sit down and eat lunch together...it is the highlight of my week!
  • babbityboo
    babbityboo Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    4. Drink more wine

How it should be!!