Irritated w/calories burned on HRM

Options
I use an FT7. I am 5'3, 178 lbs., and 35 yrs. old. I have my MHR set to 183 based on age calculations. I put a ton of effort in to my workouts and burn half of what others do on the same workouts. It really sucks. I am wondering if my shiz is broken or if I need to change some settings. My HR is usually around 78-80 when I start my workouts and peak is about 150. Between 145-150 I feel like I am going to die. Completely out of breath.

I try to look at it like maybe I am actually burning more calories and if I eat back all of them I am really just eating half of my exercise calories back. Ha!! Trying to be positive somewhere in this rant. Any ideas or comments?

Replies

• DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Are you "wetting" your strap? I have recently started doing this as I would notice my HRM not counting cals but keeping my HR. I have a low sitting HR as it is so I don't burn much but I do see we do the same workouts and you are burning way less than I am.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jersgirl060606
    jersgirl060606 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Mine will not work without proper placement and the straps being wet. My husband thinks my calories burned are accurate based on my HR during my workout but man it's frustrating. I want a huge calorie burn too!! Haha. I'm jealous!!
  • DeeKay2169
    DeeKay2169 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I know it's frustrating. Just keep pushing. Regardless you are burning more than just sitting on the couch. Plus you are losing inches, losing fat and gaining muscle. :)
  • persian_star
    persian_star Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burns. For example, I walk 2 miles to work, 35 mins up and down hills. MFP used to reckon I was burning 200 cals for that, but when I got my HRM (Polar FT40) it told a different story: normally more like 130-150. Sometimes I get a higher burn, but it's normally when I've just eaten quite a lot, so it's likely my increased heart rate is at least partley due to TEF (thermal effect of food) i.e. my body using energy to digest. That said, if I haven't exercised in a while it's sometimes higher too.

My long winded and roundabout point is - most people going with the generic MFP calorie counts are probably over-estimating. HRM's are also by no means perfect but probably more accurate. And if you're doing any kind of weights your body burns less than your HRM would tell you during the workout, but more in the ensuing hours. So long as you're losing weight but not starving, I wouldn't stress - there are just too many factors involved so even with a HRM it's never going to be a perfect count x
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    My calorie burns are always lower than my friends’ as well. I think my body is just more efficient. I do take this into account when I figure my TDEE (I lower whatever estimates I get online).
  • jersgirl060606
    Options
    MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burns. For example, I walk 2 miles to work, 35 mins up and down hills. MFP used to reckon I was burning 200 cals for that, but when I got my HRM (Polar FT40) it told a different story: normally more like 130-150. Sometimes I get a higher burn, but it's normally when I've just eaten quite a lot, so it's likely my increased heart rate is at least partley due to TEF (thermal effect of food) i.e. my body using energy to digest. That said, if I haven't exercised in a while it's sometimes higher too.

My long winded and roundabout point is - most people going with the generic MFP calorie counts are probably over-estimating. HRM's are also by no means perfect but probably more accurate. And if you're doing any kind of weights your body burns less than your HRM would tell you during the workout, but more in the ensuing hours. So long as you're losing weight but not starving, I wouldn't stress - there are just too many factors involved so even with a HRM it's never going to be a perfect count x

I always wear a HRM because of this very thing. MFP way overestimates in comparison to my actual burn. I have been doing Jillian Michaels workouts so 30 Day Shred and Body Revolution which is mostly weights. I feel like my burn is pretty accurate but some of my friends burn 2 times the calories I do. I need to stop comparing myself to others. I lose about 1.3 lbs per week and have a cheat day every Friday where I eat what I want and don't work out. I was curious if my monitor was broken or if the differences between people are so vast. Thanks for the feedback, I will keep on keepin on.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,499 Member
    Options

I always wear a HRM because of this very thing. MFP way overestimates in comparison to my actual burn. I have been doing Jillian Michaels workouts so 30 Day Shred and Body Revolution which is mostly weights. I feel like my burn is pretty accurate but some of my friends burn 2 times the calories I do. I need to stop comparing myself to others. I lose about 1.3 lbs per week and have a cheat day every Friday where I eat what I want and don't work out. I was curious if my monitor was broken or if the differences between people are so vast. Thanks for the feedback, I will keep on keepin on.

FWIW, when I do the 30 DS my HR tends to range between 150 and 180 for most of the workout and I burn around 245 calories at level 1. I've only done level 2 once so far and I burned 278. Of course, I may be in worse shape than you are. :smile:

ETA: I am almost 39, 5'4" and 138 pounds. My MHR is set at 188, I think.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Could you give an example of a workout, duration of the workout, and the calories the HRM says you have burned? Without that information we don't really know the data to be able to tell if what's it's telling you may be close or not.

My only comment at this time is that I'm 33 (going to be 34 in a couple of months) and personally try to keep my heart rate at around 160-165 when working out and that tends to put me closer to what most "average" burns are for workout activities.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to workout or are you shopping for a device that will give you a higher burn rate?
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    HRM calories burned are ESTIMATES, not measurements. Your settings (Height, Weight, Age, Sex, Max HR) have to be input accurately to be close, and even then, unless you are doing steady state aerobic activity, it can still be wildly off.

But for reference, the reason that someone burns more calories than you doing the same activity AT THE SAME INTENSITY is that they weigh more than you.
  • thecarbmonster
    thecarbmonster Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I found I burn more calories if I warm-up, go to HIGH intensity to get my heart rate pumping and then switch back to a normal rate of intensity. Something about getting it pumping near the beginning keeps your normal-intensity higher than peaking somewhere in the middle.
  • jersgirl060606
    Options
    Could you give an example of a workout, duration of the workout, and the calories the HRM says you have burned? Without that information we don't really know the data to be able to tell if what's it's telling you may be close or not.

My only comment at this time is that I'm 33 (going to be 34 in a couple of months) and personally try to keep my heart rate at around 160-165 when working out and that tends to put me closer to what most "average" burns are for workout activities.

Absolutely. Here are a few examples: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 2, 28 minutes 190 calories burned, JM 30 DS Level 3, 28 minutes 189, JM Body Rev Cardio 1, 26 minutes 192 Calories.

I am not in shape, I have been working out 6 days per week for the past 2 months. I feel great and am working hard but do not burn as many calories as most and am trying to determine if my fitness level is not great or if I should purchase a new chest strap. I really feel like I will pass out when my HRM reads over 150. Haha, panting out of breath, etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Absolutely. Here are a few examples: Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred Level 2, 28 minutes 190 calories burned, JM 30 DS Level 3, 28 minutes 189, JM Body Rev Cardio 1, 26 minutes 192 Calories.

As a fellow low burner I feel your pain. 30-Day shred level 1 I get about 190 calories also. It's hard not to get frustrated when other people are posting how they burn a billion calories in 30 minutes, but I try to focus on me and not worry about what others are doing....
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Your HRM is working just fine, don't buy another chest strap! 30 DS is not a steady state aerobic workout, therefore the calories recorded on your HRM will not be accurate. You probably burned closer to 275 kcal, but there's no HRM in the world that will be able to determine it exactly.

Ultimately, the only way you'll be able to tell is if you are losing weight at the expected rate
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7", weigh 188 and age 47. Max is supposedly 173. Resting HR is around 64. I work out 4-5 x week , at least 30-45 minutes per, averaging 350-400 cal burn on stationary bike with my FT7. I let Polar fitness calculate the cal burn. I use the web site, not just the HRM numbers ( more accurate burn calculations)

Go by the Perceived effort, not just your HR numbers. If you are gasping, you are working too hard. You will get there!
  • jersgirl060606
    Options
    It's official. My HRM is not working correctly. I wet the strap every time, tighten it every time, etc. Today while I was working out, it read 326 for part of my workout and 0 for a good portion. I think I need a new strap. I will try my hubby's tomorrow.
  • Bailey532
    Bailey532 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    How much do you normally burn with 30 day shred?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Who are you comparing burns too? People way overestimate burns...one of the big reasons trying to create a deficit for weight loss via exercise is often futile. I assume you're using the MFP method for weight loss...if so, you have all the "burn" you need built right into your diet. You don't need to exercise for calorie burn to lose weight with MFP. Let your diet do the work for weight loss...exercise for fitness and not calorie burn. You'll thank yourself later.
  • brittaney_lee
    brittaney_lee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burns.

This!!