Starting C325K on Monday w/ Boyfriend - Any Tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    The only tip I have is to make sure you have FUN!!
    I started running Jan 1, 2012 and worked my way to a half marathon 3 weeks ago. I have now started to train for a full marathon in 2014.
    I run at the very least every Sunday morning with a group of friends and I try to get another couple of runs by myself in during the week.
    I did not use the C25K program but I have friends who did. It seems to be an "easy" progression that is not too hard on the body.
    All the best on your journey!
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    well i was 206lbs when i began the program.

my tips!
    1) listen to your body! if something hurts, try to figure out why. i tried to force my runs with an injured IT band and had to stop for a week while i healed up. don't do that!
    2) conquer your mental blocks. for me, my brain always screams "can't go anymore! stop stop!" but my body can do it. just push through those tired feelings. i like to have images in mind, running a race with some hot guy next to me (always makes me lift myself up and run more upright, and lengthen my stride hah!) or zombies chasing me
    3) stretch afterwards, always! reduces risk of injury, feels good, less soreness the day after

and be proud of your accomplishments! every week you run further, and for longer. relish in the strength and muscles you're developing. because you're earning the hot body you'll soon have!
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Only advice I would give is stick to the plan even on days when you feel like you could go farther or longer, or do extra days. Go as slowly as you need to with the running intervals - slow running is still running!
    This.
    The most important thing you can do is keep your committment to run 3x a week. It is too easy to say "not today" and then find yourself at the end of the week with no runs logged.
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Started C25K in late Dec / early Jan. Stuck to the programme. Found W1D1 an absolute killer - thought I'd have a heart attack and the next hardest was W4D1? No idea why but it nearly killed me again. But kept at it.

You'll be shocked at how quick your fitness builds up.

I ran my one and only 5k race on the the 23rd Feb. And I did it in 36 mins 22 seconds.

Need to keep it up now. Beginning of March was hectic so I have got out recently, but I aim to try another 5k in May/June when the weather gets better for training outside.

Do it. Definitely keep to the programme. And don't think about the time. Just run when it says and walk when it says to walk.. When you start thinking about - "oh god, I've to run for 5 mins straight today!" you start to doubt yourself. Don't doubt, just do. Amazingly, it works..

Go for it. You'll be so chuffed when you complete it..
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    Awesome! Have fun and don't be afraid to repeat days if you don't feel you are ready yet.
  • jessmastrilli
    jessmastrilli Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Started in September of last year. By November I ran my first 5k race! I now have a 10k race on April 6th, and a half marathon on May 5th! Friend me if you'd like! :D

Tips - start off slow. Then you can work your way up. If you have a smart phone, download an app like MapMyRun or Nike Running+ that will monitor how far and how fast you go so you can see progress. Good luck! :D
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Tips,

let the BF "win" if you are faster take half steps if you have too. At least until he is hooked on running.

I'd honestly wait on the shoes till week 2 or 3. I mean if he doesn't like running your out $100.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I second the advice to register for a 5K at least 10-12 weeks out. Then, tell everyone you know that you will be running a 5K on whatever date.

This is the only thing that kept me going some days. I knew that people were going to ask me how my 5K went and I didn't want to say, "Umm...I didn't train so I didn't do it."

I did C25K in 2010. I completed the program - going by time - and then slowly added distance. I was never able to gain much speed though. So don't be discouraged if you aren't as fast as you want to be. I've kept running occassionally and the past 6+ weeks have been focused on gaining speed through sprints and other speed interval runs. I'll be running a 5K May 11th.

Good luck and have fun!
  • msprouse8
    msprouse8 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I was successful with this program. Just remember not to run too fast. Running is running whether it's 4 1/2 mph, 5 mph or 6 mph. I started out trying to run too fast and would get winded quickly. Don't pump your arms (I just held mine flexed at 90° as still as possible) when you run as this will up your heart rate too. Save this for when you are more comfortable with the lengths of the run. Do not be afraid to repeat days or even weeks if needed. It took me 4 weeks at week 4. I couldn't get past running 3 minutes. Why? Because I was trying to run too fast and I was pumping my arms. LOL. I was running with an experienced runner when I finally got past that week who was helping me figure out what I was doing wrong. Good luck!!!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Tips,

let the BF "win" if you are faster take half steps if you have too. At least until he is hooked on running.

I'd honestly wait on the shoes till week 2 or 3. I mean if he doesn't like running your out $100.

Seriously..don't skimp on shoes. if you run in tennis shoes/basketball/general sneakers etc, you can seriously hurt yourself! you don't have to spend $100 to get a half decent pair...you can find plenty of reasonable deals online.
  • kaseymei
    kaseymei Posts: 164
    Options
    Hi there.... I used the program and absolutely love it. I was NOT a runner at all and in the first week running that 60 seconds was killing me. But every week I kept at it and it got easier and easier. By the end of the program I was running 30-40 minutes straight. I haven't been running lately because I switched up my exercise routine and now I'm doing 30 day shred.

My advise is that to just stick with it. My husband started with me as well but about 4 weeks into it he lost motivation and gave up. I DID NOT GIVE UP THOUGH. So another piece of advice... if he gives up don't follow suit... just keep going.

Best of luck and feel free to add me for motivation. :)
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm just heading into week 3. Sometimes I have to repeat a day. The biggest hurdle is the mental one. There's a lot of times I find my brain trying to make 'bargains' with itself to stop running this particular cycle early, and on and on. I find if I just ignore my brain, my body usually responds favorably. It's way more of a mental battle for me.
  • babyshme
    babyshme Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Doing week 4 day 1 of my c25k program. I love it. My app isn't free. If you can swing it and like zombies. Check out the app called Zombies,Run!. I love it.

Have fun!
  • astroteej81
    Options
    First off, that's great! My wife and I started running last year similar to how y'all did. She liked to run but I didn't care for it (never thought I had the talent for it, being a golfer and other "slow sport" expert. Haha). Now I have caught the bug and enjoy it just as she does!

11 months later I am down 24 lbs and she 22 lbs (both still a work in progress). We are consistently running about 18 miles a week and doing 5k event runs about every 2 weeks at about 33 minutes. Just completed our first 8k last week (have another at the end of March) and have our first 10k on June 1st!

The biggest tip to mention (the RIGHT shoes) you already know about. I can't stress enough how important it is to have a gait analysis done. When I started I knew nothing of shoes and hurt myself (and still have slight residual knee pain after long runs) because of bad shoes.

Another tip is to check out runningintheusa's website (runningintheusa.com) for upcoming events. We have found doing a local run every couple weeks helps maintain focus/consistency, provides tangible results and camaraderie. We've meet runners through events that we now run and hang out with, plus you tend to see a lot of the same people at events, especially smaller ones. Building a circle of like-minded friends has helped us in our quest.

Last, start SLOW and listen to your body. Running through pain can seem macho (esp for us guys), but you may injure yourself and set back your training for days (or weeks)!

Enjoy the journey! #JustRun
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I'm a newer runner but I have to add that shoes are VERY important. I suffer from horrible shin splints when I wear any kind of shoe with a lot of support (minimal works for me) but everyone is different. Make sure you are striking mid foot when you run and don't tense your feet/ankles. Try to keep them loose and your gate light when you run. Don't run too fast in the beggining....endurance is better than speed when you star. Ice your shins after your runs, stretch a lot and if needed, roll/massage your calves/shins with a rolling pin (it really helps!). Just make sure those muscles are loosened up. My shin splints when I first started were so debilitating I could barely walk and this helped me greatly. They tried to sell me a very expensive tool at Fleet Feet that was basically the same as a rolling pin....so much for that uni-tasker! lol!
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    On a human nature point, be prepared for him to do any of the following;

Refuse to take it easy, insisting on galloping off when you're supposed to be walking.

Telling you he can't be bothered with a cool down.

Moaning that it's boring.

Realising there are quite a few good looking guys around and trying to get you to chuck it in, thinking you actually have the time to stop and look around.

Being generally negative towards the programme or your progress.

He could also love it. But he might not. He doesn't like you going out as it is. So he's hardly sounding keen on the idea, he's just doing it because you won't stop.

I don't think I would want somebody with me when I'm working out. It's my time for me, not a relationship exclusive activity.

But some people love sharing those times.

Hopefully, it'll be great for both of you, though.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 7 and am actually doing a 5K sunday.

My single advice to you, especially since you are doing it with your boyfriend, is to remember that speed is NOT the goal. Distance is NOT the goal. Finishing the runs wihout stopping is the goal.

I also found that my legs and my cardiovascular strength would not move in lockstep. I'd have runs where my wind was great my legs were just gassed and later on my legs were strong but I was running too fast and lost my breath. Doing it outside will help that second one. Plus, running outside is a lot more fun than a treadmill.

There is a good C25k group on here too, you should join that for support.
  • Wende3
    Wende3 Posts: 41
    Options
    I just started this week. That one minute of jogging goes much faster than the minute and a half of walking. I used a treadmill and my legs feel great!