Sugar?

Options
So I'm still getting used to this whole MFP way of tracking things and trying to find a healthy balance and something caught my eye on my levels. It seems I eat up my sugars pretty quickly? Like today, I had an apple with breakfast, dried cranberries in my oatmeal and just a teaspoon of mixed berry cream cheese spread on my 10am snack and already I'm closing on my sugar limit and it's not even noon yet! I’m not trying to be silly, just wondering if sugars are a big factor in weight/health. I’m still having trouble eating complex carbs or calorie dense foods, so I’d been sort of counting on supplementing with lots of fruits and veggies. It seems like eating fruit with every meal though, I’d go way over my allotted sugar intake for the day though…without even factoring in the sugars that can pop up in unexpected parts of meals….

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    There's no real reason to track sugar barring any implicit medical justification.
  • jolimystere
    Options
    Hi!
    I think my 28 g limit is also insane ?
    Why, just why is my question ?
    Even if it is "good" sugar I mean, in fruits ?

(I'm a beginner and I speak French so sorry for the possible mistakes).
  • LiveTheLifeYouWillLove
    Options
    I also don't worry about sugar from fruits. I only track refined or added sugars (like sweeteners). However, you can use the glycemic index to find fruits that are lower in sugar if you are interested in keeping fruit sugars lower.
  • pohlcm08
    pohlcm08 Posts: 61
    Options
    I just try to ignore the sugar that's added from fruit and other natural forms. I was already over my limit this morning from having a grapefruit with raw honey on it and those were both natural sugars! I don't know if this is what I'm technically supposed to do, but I only worry about the refined sugars and try to avoid them as much as possible. If I subtract all sugar that was added in from fruits and I'm still over, then I worry about it. I do wish MFP could put natural and refined sugars into different categories but it is what it is.
  • TimothyWHughes
    TimothyWHughes Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    The sugar tracking was freaking me right out so I changed my settings :)
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I do not go over my calorie limit. According to the tracker I usually am a bit high on fat and protein (I don't care if I am), but other than that I don't pay any attention. I'm not diabetic so I don't track carbs or sugar at all.
  • jtslim42
    jtslim42 Posts: 240
    Options
    I used to eat a ton of fruit and never lost any weight. I started eating more protein and watching my sugar intake and the weight has started coming off. And my blood sugar does not spike during the day so I never really get very hungry.
  • nina0181
    nina0181 Posts: 2
    Options
    Im new to this whole fitness site. I just started my diary for the first time today and just like the rest of you i'm already wondering how I am going to stay under my sugar limits... sheesh...
  • wildaaron
    wildaaron Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The less sugar the better -
  • magerum
    Options
    The less sugar the better -

Why?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Yep. There is sugar in just about everything- part of the main reason we have an obesity epidemic in this country. People will tell you fruit doesnt count or that its not a big deal but to me it is.

Since i gave up sugar and sugar substitutes i slimmed down all over, I feel better and i do not crave sugary foods.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a ton of fruit and never lost any weight. I started eating more protein and watching my sugar intake and the weight has started coming off. And my blood sugar does not spike during the day so I never really get very hungry.

Yep even fruit will make you fat if you eat too much of it. People get mad when I say this though LOL
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and I don't worry about tracking sugar much. Carbs affect my levels more than sugar does, yes it is a quick boost but the level drops quickly, plus most of my sugar comes from fruit so with the fiber that comes with it the sugar is not that big of an impact to me. others may have different experiences.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I think my 28 g limit is also insane ?
    Why, just why is my question ?
    Even if it is "good" sugar I mean, in fruits ?

(I'm a beginner and I speak French so sorry for the possible mistakes).

If you do a little research outside of MFP you will find that the 20-30g suggestion (DV) is for refined/added sugar. And doesn't include fruits and veg. Your body processes sugar from fruit and veg differently than from juice or soda because of the fiber. This is why my Type II diabetic dad can eat fruit but isn't supposed to drink a soda.
  • magerum
    Options
    Yep. There is sugar in just about everything- part of the main reason we have an obesity epidemic in this country. People will tell you fruit doesnt count or that its not a big deal but to me it is.

Since i gave up sugar and sugar substitutes i slimmed down all over, I feel better and i do not crave sugary foods.

All you did by giving up sugar was reduce calories. We're obese because we, as a country, eat too much. It's not sugars fault.

I eat ~200 g of sugar a day. My panels are perfect.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

Yep even fruit will make you fat if you eat too much of it. People get mad when I say this though LOL

Anything will make you fat if you eat too much of it...duh.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

All you did by giving up sugar was reduce calories. We're obese because we, as a country, eat too much. It's not sugars fault.

I eat ~200 g of sugar a day. My panels are perfect.

Agreed I lost over 300 lbs. and never tracked a single gram of sugar and I am also a Type 2 Diabetic......
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    WARNING: I've learned that this is one of the most hotly debated topics on MFP. One side says sugar is the spawn of Satan and the other says eat all the sugar you want (unless you are diabetic). There is even a pretty big debate within the academic community. So, be prepared for this thread to be hijacked.

Anyway...

I don't worry too much about tracking sugar. I just try to avoid anything with added sugar. I eat fruit and drink milk, both of which have a lot of sugar in it's naturally occuring form (Fructose, Lactose, etc.). I've seen convincing research on both sides of the debate, but I think there is something to added sugar contributing to obesity. I know a few people who just gave up added sugar and lost a lot of weight. There are people on here who eat tons of sugar and lose weight by controlling calories. So, who knows. I have a family history of diabetes, so that is what sways me to the "added sugar is bad" side I guess.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Here's the problem for me - if I eat whatever, but just reduce calories, I feel like I am starving to death on 1800 calories - it was virtually impossible to maintain because it felt like torture. But I've cut sugar down to around 20g/day and I can eat until I'm stuffed, never go hungry and often am at 1600 or so calories (usually more like 1800, but it's not a struggle so I don't really even have to count).

So ultimately, you're right. I'm losing weight because I'm eating less, but it doesn't feel like I'm eating less. I mean bacon and eggs for breakfast and steak and a huge plate of veggies in olive oil and whatnot isn't going hungry.

But I'm losing weight and it's way easier than when I've lost weight previously, didn't watch my sugar intake and just restricted calories.

The other huge upside is that your taste buds adjust and you don't need overly sweet things for them to taste quite sweet. Additionally, eliminating added sugar from the things you eat keeps you away from processed foods because they virtually all have sugar added.