Wearing leg weights

Options
I work a fairly active job that requires me to run up and down 3 flights of stairs in 2 adjacent buildings. Recently, I wore my mothers heavy but waterproof winter boots and felt incredibly toned by the end of the day. Since then I've been thinking about buying some ankle weights that I can wear to work.

I was wondering the potential benefits to doing this, or if there's any reason that I shouldn't do it. I really do want to tone my legs and butt too!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    On the con side, wearing such weights has been associated with increased joint injury. It is even more dangerous than just being overweight, because the weight is in the wrong place. If you were ten pounds fatter, that weight would be on your thighs, not your ankles.
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've never been very over weight but my mothers side of the family have had joint problems (childhood arthritis, cartilage degeneration in the knee etc;) and I feel like I'm getting some of that as well. Would you suggest that I not use weights on my legs?
  • jallison12
    Options
    I weare ankle weights to work out on a stepping machine. But walking from the locker room to the machine is very difficult. The weight increases the pendulum effect by being down on your ankle. For what you are doing, I don't think you should wear ankle weights. I know there are weight vests (still looking for just the right one) and maybe weight belts (?). You would still have the extra weight but on a better place on your body, not pulling joints. Maybe a backpack with some water bottles in it?
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I agree with the commenters.

Unless the leg weights are 1 pound or less (each), I would stay away from them. For the 1 pounders or less, if you decide to use them, then maybe use them sparingly at first and gradually progressively wear them for longer intervals. But for things such as jogging, running, or doing a lot of stairs - I'd avoid wearing them.

Good luck to you!
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I weare ankle weights to work out on a stepping machine. But walking from the locker room to the machine is very difficult. The weight increases the pendulum effect by being down on your ankle. For what you are doing, I don't think you should wear ankle weights. I know there are weight vests (still looking for just the right one) and maybe weight belts (?). You would still have the extra weight but on a better place on your body, not pulling joints. Maybe a backpack with some water bottles in it?

This. A weighted vest or belt is a much better option.

I used to train for hikes with a backpack filled with two 20lb bags of rice. The ones you find in an Asian store made of burlap or really tough plastic. They are cheaper than the weight inserts that places like REI sell.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    DON'T
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Don't bother - they will increase your risk of injury and you will become adapted to them really quickly anyway.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The injury thing is significant. And more importantly, they won't do much of anything for you.