"Rewarding Yourself"

Options
Most people reward themselves with food, or at least I do. I would justify eating ice cream, a piece of cake, etc because I had "walked the dog farther than usual" "cleaned the house" "had a rough day" etc. However, that only further set back my weight loss because they were empty calories. Instead, I've set goals to reward myself with NON food items. For instance, I really want a facial from a Spa however I'm too cheap to ever splurge on myself. But once I hit "XXX" number of weight or have lost "XX" number of weight I'll allow myself to get it. This could be getting your nails done, hair done, massage, facial, pedicure, make over, a new purse, etc. I wanted to share this because I think most of us reward ourselves with food which only makes you feel guilty later on. By setting goals of things you REALLY want, you may be more likely to stay on track. I realize these are goals that would probably only appeal to women, and I apologize, I just don't know what a guy would like to reward himself with - but feel free to add :) I'd love to hear if this has worked for anyone on here.

Replies

• katedevall
    katedevall Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Most people reward themselves with food, or at least I do. I would justify eating ice cream, a piece of cake, etc because I had "walked the dog farther than usual" "cleaned the house" "had a rough day" etc. However, that only further set back my weight loss because they were empty calories. Instead, I've set goals to reward myself with NON food items. For instance, I really want a facial from a Spa however I'm too cheap to ever splurge on myself. But once I hit "XXX" number of weight or have lost "XX" number of weight I'll allow myself to get it. This could be getting your nails done, hair done, massage, facial, pedicure, make over, a new purse, etc. I wanted to share this because I think most of us reward ourselves with food which only makes you feel guilty later on. By setting goals of things you REALLY want, you may be more likely to stay on track. I realize these are goals that would probably only appeal to women, and I apologize, I just don't know what a guy would like to reward himself with - but feel free to add :) I'd love to hear if this has worked for anyone on here.

Normally when I lose 10 lbs I get my nails done or color my hair. Otherwise I "reward" myself daily with a couple Oreos as long as it fits into my goals..
    When I lose a pant size or clothes size I go shopping and really reward myself.. (: motivation to keep fitting on those new clothes lol
  • kspitalsky
    Options
    Wow, 55 pounds that is incredible! I'm a "saver" when it comes to money so I thought this would be a great way to keep me motivated. I won't lie - I do eat a little ice cream every night but I stay within my goal calorie range (some things just CANT be given up. My LOVE for ice cream is serious lol). I can't wait to lose a few more pounds and get "cuter" clothes. I'm really insecure with my body so I wear baggy clothes. A new shopping spree where I can show off my hard work sounds like the best reward possible!