Need some help! Urgently

Options
Ok so I've posted on a few forums and so far i haven't had any success.

I have looked on here a bit and there seem to be quite a few success stories in relation to dieting.

I am 20 years old.
I weigh 78.9KG
I am 5ft 6

From reading a bit it seem that the best weigh to loose the weight is calorie counting, with this app it has told me to eat 1220.

Now then, with my job being shifts they are long and vary weekly so for example i work 2 day shifts from 7:30 to 7:30 and then 2 night shifts and then 4 days off.
Whilst at work i barely move at all, apart from nipping to the kitchen or toilet every now and again.

I have started doing a workout at home that i can do every day apart from my day shifts, this is mainly so that i am getting a little bit of exercise!

My biggest problem is figuring out what to eat!
For when I'm at home i need something simple that i enjoy to eat and that doesn't take much cooking/preparation as I'm only 20 and as you can imagine, not familiar with the kitchen!

When I'm at work i can be very strict with how much i eat but i just need something i can have to either put in the microwave or prepare at home and take in with me.

Then i need some snack ideas also that are reasonably healthy.

If anyone can give any help to me at all i would appreciate it as i want to get started with this like, yesterday!

Thanks,
Steven

Replies

• sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Veggies are always a great snack and low calorie. I like crackers and nuts too but I tend to buy the "snack packages" that way I don't have to cout out a serving sice or weigh it but i've done that too.

I live alone and mostly eat chicken either on salads, with pasta (weighed out) or in wraps. I don't eat a huge variety when it's just me. It's hard to give suggestions without knowing exactly what you like

Feel free to add me or ask any questions you might have
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    Steven,

I would probably start with learning to make omletttes. Fill them up with veggies such as onions, mushrooms even a bit of lean ham but try and avoid cheese or use a very small amount.

I don't know if you're an anti carb guy but I also find it easy to cook 70g of wholewheat pasta then drain it and throw in a small can of chickpeas and a teaspoon of pesto (watch the pesto, it's quite calorific in large amounts).
  • thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    For work or home: Turkey or tuna wraps, homemade soup, big salad with sliced chicken, mandarin orange, slivered almonds.
    For home: eggwhite omelet (throw in spinach or chopped tomatoes, mushrooms), SOUP (there are so many recipes for healthy filling soup, and they are dead easy to make),

When you are at work, try to get some extra movement in if you can -- this is not so much for 'exercise' as it is just for general health.
    Optimally, move every hours (use a bathroom on a different floor, take the stairs, do a lap of your cube space, walk to your car etc).
  • MizSaz
    MizSaz Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    reddit.com/r/fitmeals :)
  • luperaz
    luperaz Posts: 26
    Options
    Snacks:
    Fruits of all kinds. I prefer strawberries, apples, oranges, and pears
    Almonds raw if you like those I prefer lightly salted and roasted. even the dark chocolate dusted ones are reasonable.
    Smart Pop Kettle Corn popcorn 100 calories for a big bag
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of threads with really great recipe ideas that are quick and simple. Definitely do a search for the egg muffin recipe. It is great to freeze, then microwave as needed. I bring one to work every day now as my mid-morning snack. Good luck to you!!
  • dontgobacktosleep
    dontgobacktosleep Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Get a good cookbook.
    Plan your weeks meals, I use ziplist and add recipes then generate a shopping list.
    Since you are cooking for one, do your lunch prep when you make dinner. Often we have beef kebabs for dinner and I'll use them as a side to a big salad the next day.
    Get as much of your calories from unprocessed food.

Make it easy on yourself, in the words of my mentor, life is simple, it's yes or no.
    Is working 4 shifts a reason to limit my physical potential, yes or no?

Best of luck, learning to cook can be a real blast.... and a survival skill!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Look at the Hungry Girl blog. She has a lot of easy ideas for healthy meals and snacks. Much of it doens't require anything beyond basic boiling and microwaving skills, so it shouldn't be too hard for you.
  • kayaksara
    kayaksara Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am picky and I don't have time nor do I like to cook..here are some things I eat regularly.
    salsa and black beans on a small soft tortilla
    soy beans with sea salt
    dark chocolate - not too much
    natural peanut butter with apple (smucker's natural is great)
    banana, oranges, apples, carrots, peppers - all easy grabs
    eggs - hard boiled - super easy to grab
    kashi go lean is a favorite cereal of mine.
    steel cut oats - make enough for the week and put in single serving containers for the week, heat and add fruit
    love chobani yogurt
    figure out a great salad. I love spinach with just a little mozzerella, cherry tomatoes, carrots, sometimes hard boiled egg. For an easy and healthy dressing I mix balsamic vinegar, olive oil and mustard.
    almonds or other nuts
    good luck! :)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would suggest soups, stews and chilis for meals. These are simple "throw everything in one pot" balanced meals that can be reheated and/or frozen easily. Investing in a crockpot would also be a good idea because the same principle applies. You can find thousands of easy recipes online. You can cook a roast or several chicken breasts in the crock pot to have on hand all week for sandwiches, tacos, burritos, salads, stir fry, etc.

Seriously, don't be afraid to cook your own food. Girls love guys that cook.

Also, salads made with beans and grain (quinoa, bulgar wheat, brown rice, millet, etc.) and chopped veggies w/ an olive oil vinaigrette dressing, or tuna, chicken or egg salad are good options to make a big batch and eat all week.

For snacks. veggie or apples slices with hummus or peanut butter is good. Nuts, fruit, granola or trail mix. Milk w/ protein powder. A slice of toast with peanut butter (or nut butter of your choice), tuna or egg salad.
  • ajbaccou
    ajbaccou Posts: 25
    Options
    Welll ...

snack wise look at serving sizes

so i eat lots of fruits, vegetable and nuts.

so 100 calorie pack of dry roasted almonds
    - oranges
    - apples
    - applesauce
    - carrots
    - cucumbers
    - MELBA TOAST if im feeling like i want crackers or bread.
    - grapes
    - strawberries
    - fruit with cottage cheese
    - pecans
    - yogurt
    - jello

a cup usually. or 1/2 a cup.

For breakfast i usally have sausage and egg whites OR plain Oatmeal 2 packs ( 100 calories each) OR flat bread egg white and low fat cheese sandwich.

If I make Pasta i make wheat pasta and if i want alfredo sauce i take a Small amount and make it with G reek yogurt
    If i make tuna i use a small amount of mayo and use primarily greek yogurt.

these are just some options!!!

I say purchase a thrifty scale and measuring cups for home preparing.

I'm a mother of a 2 yr old so I don't have much time so most of my meals are quick
    I cook most of my chicken and fish stove top- in a skillet with Extra Virgin Olive Oil, its quick and easy. You may want to cook in bulk for a week so you have a choice to choose from and its already prepared. STAY READY SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET READY.

HEALTHY CHOICE has steamer meals that are very good and reasonable calories. YUM!

ON your 4 days off make those your days that you go in. When i say that i mean hard workouts. So you get more rest (WHICH IS ESSENTIAL TO weight loss anyway) on the days you're working.

GOOD LUCK BOO!
  • stephraposo
    stephraposo Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    The paleo/primal blueprint diet have great foods for weight loss/muscle gain.
    You can check out Pinterest.com for great ideas. My favorite is Masson jar salad. Or salad in a jar.
    If you do the paleo or primal blueprint there's no counting calories. But if you want to count calories weigh your food. For example if its written a 1/4 cup of nuts (30g) is 320 calories, weigh it because a 1/4 cup of nuts weighs more than 30 g.
    You can invest in a crock-pot , your meal will cook in 4-8 hours. There's lots of slow cooker recipes that you can prepare in advence and freeze in ziplock bags.
    Or I like to freeze cooked chicken breast that I cut up in cubes. So it's ready whenever I need it. Or I have frozen cut up bell peppers that I throw in the pan when I make an omelet. Just heat them first on medium low.
    My go to snack is nuts and a square of dark chocolate. Apple and cheese string.
    I'm all over the place sorry about that!
    Steph
  • Eliza1980
    Eliza1980 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Soup is your friend. It's easy to make and large batches can get you through a week pretty easily. Start with chicken broth and diced skinless chicken. From there you just add whatever vegetables you want. Boil for a few hours and you'll have a satisfying, low calorie item to add to meals. Make a half sandwich and bowl of soup for lunch. There are tons of recipes out there. Use them as a guide. From there, you'll figure out what you like and don't. If you need more calories, add in things like beans or corn.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Change your settings to 1 lb/week loss. 2 lbs is too high for you. That should give you something like 1700 calories a day plus your exercise calories.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!