one side weaker

Options
So I have been working out in the gym lately (first time in a long time) and noticed my right side burns more than the left....

Any suggestions on what I am doing or can do to get a even burn?

Replies

• salgalbp
    salgalbp Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is something I heard once and unsure if it's true for everyone but has been working for me since I have a left shoulder injury and my left arm is much weaker.

Only lift as much as your weaker side can handle (No pain) with out breaking form. You'll continue to strengthen and not continually hurt your weaker side when doing this. I'm getting more even by doing this in the strength catagory.

Best of luck!
  • serenapitala
    serenapitala Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    You probably just have muscle strength disparity. One side is weaker, so it feels the burn more, but that's what you want to make it stronger. Free weights are great because you can't favor your stronger side which forces your weaker side to work too. Yoga also focuses on balance between the sides.
    I have a pretty significant difference too, but over time it is becoming less.
  • kmorg22
    kmorg22 Posts: 180
    Options
    I felt blonde after ready your suggestions....... wow duh ! use free weights kisha.
  • jenns1964
    jenns1964 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I have a major weakness on my left side due to 3 strokes starting at age 25. I have no feeling in my left hand, but still have the strength. I started strength training and am building some nice muscle in my shoulders and arms, and legs. I regret not doing this years ago as it would have prevented some of the muscle wasting that I experienced.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    I have always played side dominated sports and have had issues with my right side being stronger than my left. This is really apparent in my forearms right now playing tennis. I don't compensate for it in the gym though. I do equal sets and weight on both sides in hopes to keep or achieve some equalibrium.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    aren't most people like that?