high carb high protein low fat diet

Options
i eat alot of vegetables and so i accumulate alot of carbs in a day, i also eat a high protein diet as well. is this good or bad for someone who wants to get in shape?

Replies

• now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    You should balance out everything in your diet provided you have no issues that cause you to not consume a certain type of food.

Why is your diet low fat? You need fat in your diet.

Also, you need a high protein diet to help try to protect your muscles which you do lose some of when you lose weight.
  • hikezilla
    hikezilla Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not all veggies are high in carbs. The biggies are potatoes, corn, and other starchy veggies. Raw carrots are great candy replacements for me...and they are not too bad on carbs.

What do you consider low fat?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I skimmed through the last week or so of your diary. Your fats and protein are probably about the bare minimum of where you should be, but still ok. As such, I'd say you're fine, but adding in a little more fat and protein can only be a good thing.
  • samairon
    samairon Posts: 46
    Options
    I looked at your food diary and your protein isn't really high. You should eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of vitamins that can only be absorbed in the presence of fat. Too little fat is NOT a good or healthy thing.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    HIgh protien? good

Lots of vegetables? good.

Low fat? BAD.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    for someone taking in your amount of calories, your macros look pretty good at long as you exercise and keep active!

good stuff. :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I've never managed to do low fat.. while my body is fat in some areas, it still needs healthy fats.

If it works for you - great.. but personally I opt for a balance. My macros are 40-30-30
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i eat alot of vegetables and so i accumulate alot of carbs in a day, i also eat a high protein diet as well. is this good or bad for someone who wants to get in shape?

Before my surgery (brain surgery), I lost 40 pounds by eating fruits and veggies. Once and a while I would have lots of protein but I think it works.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    You need fat, what percentage are you talking about? 50-25-25
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, a lot of your carbs actually come from breads, tortillas, popcorn, cereal.... while a lot do come from veggies as well. I wouldn't say that your problem is that you have a high carb diet BECAUSE of veggies, though. You eat a lot of veggies, yes, but you also eat a lot of processed carbs. I would suggest trying to work in more fat content and also trying to decrease some of the carbs you eat on a daily basis that are grain-related. 250 carbs a day seems a little high to me, when 100 of them can easily be removed by cutting back on the grain-type carbs. These can have a lot of sugar and not be very nutrition-dense.

Edit- I know a lot of other people have said this, but if you are looking to retain muscle while working out, the recommended protein intake is .7-1 gram of protein per body weight. I am eating 1500 calories a day and shoot for between 90and 110g of protein daily
  • GoTeamMeaghan
    GoTeamMeaghan Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    This is definitely not high protein. I eat 1,800 calories a day on a 45/35/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fat I would definitely recommend increasing your protein. I generally have 130-175g of protein a day and somewhere in the range of 200 carbs. Feel free to check out my diary for ideas.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I eat a ton of fruit and vegetables but also high protein foods. I am always under the MFP carb guideline and way over on my protein on about 2,200 calories / day. Works for me.
  • winterswish
    winterswish Posts: 162
    Options
    There are a lot of vitamins that can only be absorbed in the presence of fat. Too little fat is NOT a good or healthy thing.

^^^This. I'm off to eat an avocado.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    While it may "work" for some people (depending on activity level) to still lose with those ratios, I'd still be concerned that an excess of carbs would lead to an insulin imbalance, which can eventually lead to diabetes. The fruits and veggies aren't so much a risk factor as the breads, cereals, pastas, etc. Most days I don't have any grains at all, but generally speaking, most people don't need more than 1-3 servings of grains per day. And "high protein" would be, for females, AT LEAST 80-90g per day. RDA is 60, but that's just to "survive". Particularly when weight loss is the goal, getting more like 80g would be ideal.

Also, as others have said, you need fat to burn fat, and you need fat to absorb certain nutrients. Up your fat. By a lot. I'd say at least 70g/day. By all means, avoid trans fats and processed/plastic fats (ie margarine, canola oil, deep fried fast food), but healthy fats (from unprocessed meats, cheese, yogurt, coconut oil, real butter) are necessary for overall health.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Watch this: http://youtu.be/8zEZlkG1boU?t=13m19s through about minute 22 minimum. Great information about what humans NEED to eat. The entire presentation is fantastic.

The basis of your diet if your goal is optimum health should be starchy vegetables. Whole grains, potatoes, legumes, rice. These have adequate protein and complex carbohydrates. In addition, add in leafy greens vegetables and fruit. Lastly, add in a variety of veggies. Something new and different you've never tried. And avoid all oils, meat and dairy, and processed foods like powders, drinks, and packaged dinners. These foods are calorie dense foods that don't provide nutrition relative to the amount of calories they provide.
  • a5emens
    a5emens Posts: 8
    Options
    wow thank you guys for all the replies! i will definitely start eating more fats, i bought a ton of avacados ( they were on sale today) and i got a durian fruit from the asian market.. i heard it has alot of good fat. im starting to cook with coconut oil too, i was just scared to fry foods before because it depletes nutrients. as for my "bad carbs" such as popcorn, tortillas and rice.. ive been trying to buy whole grains now.. i have to train my body to not want so much popcorn and sticky rice
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Watch this: http://youtu.be/8zEZlkG1boU?t=13m19s through about minute 22 minimum. Great information about what humans NEED to eat. The entire presentation is fantastic.

The basis of your diet if your goal is optimum health should be starchy vegetables. Whole grains, potatoes, legumes, rice. These have adequate protein and complex carbohydrates. In addition, add in leafy greens vegetables and fruit. Lastly, add in a variety of veggies. Something new and different you've never tried. And avoid all oils, meat and dairy, and processed foods like powders, drinks, and packaged dinners. These foods are calorie dense foods that don't provide nutrition relative to the amount of calories they provide.

Yeah, that plan sounds like a great recipe for insulin resistance and/or diabetes. Have fun with that. :indifferent:
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

yeah no. on no level is this correct.
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I looked at what you have for today. You have more carbs in the dairy, legumes, and grain... not as much in your veggies.