What do you do to WARM UP?

Options
I always end up getting a stitch in my left side after about 20 mins on the elliptical.
I figure its because I don't warm up properly beforehand.

I just wondered what you do to warm up, and how long for, before you exercise?

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't really warm up at all. My warmup is walking up the stairs to the gym... hah!

The only time I get cramps on the elliptical is when I eat right before the gym.

Check out Day 1 of the 30 Day Shred on Youtube and try doing the warmup from that. Jillian has you do some dynamic stretching and jumping jacks before getting started, and it seems like a good approach.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Check out Day 1 of the 30 Day Shred on Youtube and try doing the warmup from that. Jillian has you do some dynamic stretching and jumping jacks before getting started, and it seems like a good approach.

Good idea!! Thanks :)
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Is a "stitch" the same as a cramp?

If so, it could be hydration? Make sure you're hydrating pretty well on the day of your workout and during your workout, even if you're not thirsty.

Here's a couple of quick articles that may be of help
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-warm-up-and-cool-down.aspx (autoplay ads with sound alert in case you're at work)
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/what-is-the-best-way-to-warm-up.aspx (autoplay ads with sound alert in case you're at work)
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I walk a 1/2 mile on the treadmill before lifting. If do the elliptical just go a little slower/decrease resistance for the first 5 minutes. Then hit it hard.
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Jump Rope: 100 jumps with both feet
    50 jumps with left foot
    50 jumps with right foot
    100 jumps alternating left and right
    Foam Rolling whatever area I am training that day
    Stretching
    Then I start lifting with just the bar and work up in weight every set. I usually do 3 warm up sets before I get to my work sets.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    5 minutes of walking at a brisk
  • sun_n_jazz
    sun_n_jazz Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    As someone else said in here it could be hydration. I used to get serious pains when I would exercise at the gym when I hadn't had much water or liquid in me.

Personally I never warm up, but I always do stretches to cool down and sooth my muscles after exercise or strength building. I always found that it helps get me back to 'baseline' if that makes any sense. You might find that you in particular have to do some stretches before a work out too! Some people do! :)
  • lilmissmanx
    lilmissmanx Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    3 rounds of "Burpindy"

5 burpees, 10 press ups, 15 squats.

Gets the heart rate up and moves all the major muscle groups
  • vals83
    vals83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Try eating a banana 1/2 hour before your workout. Some light yoga poses and 10 mins on a treadmill at a 3 mph and 15 incline will get your legs and hips nicely stretched out and warm. and water!! Tons and tons of water.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Gentle run on the treadmill or a 10 minute jog outside is my warm up.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    A minimum of 5 minutes of easy walking, working towards a bit harder walk that includes easy flexing of a lot muscles. Then I stretch before I workout.
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    i look at the hot guys at the gym.

haha..

ok no really i do a10 to 20 minute fast paced walk, then weights, then i take a jog for however long i feel like jogging. that's my usual, although sometimes i may not do the weight training.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    I always end up getting a stitch in my left side after about 20 mins on the elliptical.
    I figure its because I don't warm up properly beforehand.

I just wondered what you do to warm up, and how long for, before you exercise?

I don't I usually just run right out my door...I'm a crazy girl like that. But I love yoga so I'd recommend that to anybody.
  • Kali2024
    Kali2024 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    As someone else replied the only time I get a cramp/stitch is if I eat anything within 3 hours of my workouts.
  • fitgal05
    fitgal05 Posts: 149
    Options
    Try eating a banana 1/2 hour before your workout. Some light yoga poses and 10 mins on a treadmill at a 3 mph and 15 incline will get your legs and hips nicely stretched out and warm. and water!! Tons and tons of water.

Yes lots of water...i suck at this at times.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    a few shooters of whiskey will warm you up,,, do not have too many,, or you will forget all about your workout.
  • inshapeeasy
    Options
    A warm up exercise can be any type of cardiovascular exercise before your resistance training starts. Or it can really be a full out cardiovascular session. As long as it gets the heart rate up, it is a warm up exercise. It can be aerobic or anaerobic exercises.

If you would like to see a variety of warm up exercises that you can do check out this website link

http://www.isefitness.com/exercises/total-body-exercises/warm-exercises-cardio
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't warm-up. I do my work-out and streching at the end works for me.
  • ZozoMonster
    ZozoMonster Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i look at the hot guys at the gym.

Excellent :p haha
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I have a hot bath for twenty minutes - no really! I do yoga.