need help with easy, healthy, and cheap recipes

Options
I'm trying to find recipes that are easy to make, healthy, and cheap. I am trying to lose weight and not sure where to start. I'm picky on some stuff. I've been increasing my intake of fruit, veggies, and occasionally have a jenny craig meal or a healthy choice tv dinner, switched to coke zero products and trying to drink more water or using the low calorie flavor packets. anyone have any recipes they care to share? :smile:

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    2 can beans, 1 can of tomatoes, 1 chopped onion, 1 chopped bell pepper, 1 pound ground chicken or turkey (browned), 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp salt--cook in crockpot on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours. Easy peasy chili.

Or 1 bag of frozen stir fry veggies...cooked in 1 tbsp olive oil. Add in baked chopped chicken breast and 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce. Serve over brown rice.
  • pe4sandra
    pe4sandra Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Sounds yummy
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Here is something that is very nutritious, healthy, low sodium and low fat to a certain degree and very very filling.

1/4 cup dry black lentils or split peas (yellow or green) yields about 1 cup when cooked
    4 cups spinach (finely chopped)
    1/3 cup red onion or your choice - finely chopped
    1/2 bell pepper (color your choice) - finely chopped
    1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil
    Mrs Dash or any NO SALT SEASONING of your choice - the salt will come from the cheese
    2 slices bread - your choice
    2 ounces cheese - I normally sliced my cheese very thin, saving 2 slices to place on bread

Cook spinach or split peas in water without salt. Season with a small amount of Mrs. Dash
    Drain all the water from cooked spinach or split peas
    Place frying pan on stove under medium heat, pour in oil along with onions, bell pepper and spinach, cook for a one minute
    Stir in lentils or split peas along with enough of Mrs Dash (to your taste). Stir to prevent sticking.
    Pour 3/4 of the cheese into the frying pan, keep stirring to ensure that the cheese covers the mixture.
    Toast or warm two slices of bread, place on plate with the remainder of the cheese.
    Spoon mixture on top, completely covering both slices.

This was something that ran through my mind whilst I was doing my daily walk earlier this week. I have eaten it twice now and it is very filling. It can even be cooked in advance and use for lunch the next day.