Help with C2K training

Options
For those that are in the middle of or have finished C25K training...
I am finishing week 5. Last night was supposed to be my 2 miles (or 20 minutes) without stopping. I've been completely faithful and following the program exactly as written.
BUT...I COULD NOT do it. I made it about 1.4 miles or 15 minutes and could not run another step. I was hugely disappointed because I considered myself in "fairly good shape" when I started 5 weeks ago. The reason I am doing C25K is so I can run a 5K without stopping and want to try to get my time under 30 minutes. I ran 2 5Ks in 2012 and had to walk several times and ran it in about 35 minutes.
So how do I proceed from here? My husband says to keep running this until I can do it before I proceed with week 6. What do you think? Anyone else have trouble with this jump from running 8 minutes to running 20 minutes straight?

Thank you for all your help!!

PS: I transitioned from treadmill running (Weeks 1-3) to indoor tracking running (Week 4-5) and ran the 2 miles outdoors because it was finally warm enough and I couldn't bear the thought of running 25 laps on the indoor track. I'm sure that has a little something to do with my failure (a few hills and just being outside), but I HATE treadmill running.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I agree w/hubby - repeat the week. And YES running outside is a LOT different than the treadmill - that likely is one of the main issues. Good luck!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I would also repeat the week/day, until I could finish it the correct way. C25K is basically a SUGGESTION, what YOU'RE capable of may be different. Some people may be able to skip days/weeks while other struggle and have to repeat some. Both are OK. Do what you can and keep going, if you keep going you will no doubt improve.
  • Krissy563
    Krissy563 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just keep trying... you will get there! Who knows, maybe you just had a bad day and if you try it tonight you'll make it. Everyone has a bad run sometimes. Also, maybe try running slower?
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Repeat and if you have to stop, then slow down and run again. You may be starting out too fast, or running too fast or it may be that you're running outside and it's just different.

A lot of people have trouble with the mental barrier of breaking that 20 minute mark. Once you do it then it's all clear sailing.
  • tweety432
    tweety432 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Also you could try adding a few seconds on till you can do the full twenty I m going to be doing this myself it's hard to go from 8 min to 20 the next time so try to keep working on it