Nuvaring

Options
Hey ladies! (And men if you read this but I'm just going to presume you aren't taking this! :P )

Just wondering if any of you have been on Nuvaring before and what your thoughts on it were?

I've been trying to lose weight and finding it super difficult. I'm wondering could it be partly due to Nuvaring? I've read a few horror stories online...

I'll be sad if it is the Nuvaring that's making it hard to lose weight though, it's so convenient! :)

Replies

• cmb5033
    cmb5033 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Nuvaring for years. I have found that it hasn't affected my weight loss. If I am eating right and moving more I see the weight drop as I did before I was on it.

I love the Nuvaring and this would be the last thing I would change if my weight loss stalled because I cannot think of what my alternatives would be that I would like as much.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I've been on Nuvaring since 2008. I have gained weight since 2008. Is my weight gain the result of my birth control? NO. I gained weight because I ate too much and moved too little. Even if it was the cause, I wouldn't trade it in!:drinker:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Options
    I was on the Nuvaring for 8 months and was a psychotic b***h the entire time. As soon as I switched to the pill it went back to normal. I was seriously out of control on it and there was nothing I could do about it.

ETA: I got pregnant while on it as well.
  • holmesk22a
    Options
    I was on the Nuvaring for 3 years and I did not gain weight from it. I gained weight from eating and being lazy.

But my opinion of it, I Loved it. It was the best BC I had used because it was easy and did not have to remember to take a pill everyday.
    The only bad experience is that eventually, it will just start falling out. like i said used it for 3 years but had to switch to the depo shot because the ring would start cioming out more. Talked to my gyno about it and she said it happens all the time with women who have been on it a long time. Needless to say, wasnt going to take a chance so I switched.
    But other than that, It was the best BC i had been on. It helped with my Endometriosis and Ovarien Cysts.
  • flea2449
    flea2449 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I'm use Nuvaring as well. I'm stalled as well, but I did manage to lose 81 pounds while using it, so I would think it's me and not the nuvaring.
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i've been on it since 2006. LOVE it.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Used it until my husband got a vasectomy.

I secretly hoped that stopping its use would make weight loss easier.

Denied.

Nuvaring was the only form of b/c that I had any luck with!! And using/not using it has seemed to make no change in my weight loss. Or lack thereof.
  • wineliketopaz
    Options
    I've used the Nuvaring for years now and I don't believe it's affected by ability to lose or gain weight.

I switched to the Nuvaring from the patch. It's supposed to be a lower dose but everyone's body is different so maybe trying another method will be helpful.
  • lolwutshannon
    Options
    Take it out. TAKE IT OUT NOW! That thing is evil I tell ya! ;)
    Seriously though, being on that for 5 months I gained 30 pounds. Now that I'm off of it (I'm not sure if it's to blame) my hormone levels are as low as a post-menopausal woman and I'm only 22 years old. I'm having difficulty losing weight, and no matter how healthy I eat and how much I exercise I do daily I am still gaining.
  • bobbiboo24
    bobbiboo24 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... I want to believe all the things you are saying because I LOVE the convenience of the nuvaring but I'm getting very fed up of not losing weight.

I might stay on it another month and really push my workouts and exercise but it's just so disheartening to be working out 5 times a week and eating as healthy as possible to have little to none weight loss.

It could be something very simple that's stopping me lose but the only thing I can think of is the Nuvaring. I'm actually way more active than I was before going on it and still my weight grew?!

I just don't know. I don't want to blame nuvaring because I love it so much but weight loss should be easier when you are putting in a huge effort, right? I understand if it is slow but not to be lose a pound, then gain two back and stuck within the same 4 pounds + or - for 3 months?

Another reason I think it could be the Nuvaring is that my libido has gone so so so low since being on it. It's not very scientific of me to think that if I have one symptom I might have another, but well I'm not a scientist, just a girl, trying to make sense of it all! :)
  • DancerJane87
    Options
    Hey Bobbi, I know this was last year but I have just started on nuvaring a month ago and loving it except for the fact that it seems rather tough to lose weight. I put on about 4kgs on microgynon prior to starting nuvaring and now trying to lose that extra weight seems so much harder than it would usually. Did you end up sticking to nuvaring and achieving weight loss? I hope it get easier. I eat quite well and work out regularly so it's super disappointing to not get results.
    Thanks
    :)