NO MORE EMOTIONAL EATING!!!!

Options
HELLO EVERYONE,
I AM 23 AND HAVE STARTED MY WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY FOR THE ....3RD OR 4TH TIME. I AM 150 POUNDS CURRENTLY AND I ONLY STAND ABOUT 4 FOOT 9. I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SEE MYSELF AT ABOUT 120 POUNDS AND HEALTHY. I HAVE A SON WHO IS GETTING OLDER AND I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SUPPORT HIM IN ALL HIS PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES, BUT HOW WILL I DO THAT IF I MYSELF AM NOT IN GOOD HEALTH AND IN GOOD SHAPE. I JOINED MYFITNESSPAL TO HOPEFULLY FIND A SUPPORT SYSTEM OF PEOPLE WHO ARE IN THE SAME SHOES THAT I AM IN.. AND HOPEFULLY WE CAN HELP EACH OTHER IN THIS UPHILL JOURNEY.

THANK YOU GUYS IN ADVANCE.
IF YOU EVER NEED ANYONE TO TALK TO YOU CAN SEND ME A MESSAGE, COMMENT ON MY FORUM, OR ON MY BLOG. I CHECK THEM ALL DAILY...

Replies

• nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

I began MFP 3 years ago and I was also an emotional eater. I got bored, I ate, sad - I ate, happy - I ate. I pretty much ate myself up to almost 200lbs and i'm only 5'5". :noway:

When I realized how bad it had gotten the first thing I did was made a TO DO list of all the things I wanted to do and put it off,
    eg. read a book (be specific), organize my closet, redecorate a room, whatever it is in your life you may be leaving for another day.... keep this list with you (I kept it saved on my phone)

Whenever I got sad, bored, or whatever and reached for a snack or junk food I would look at my list and do something on it. It will keep you away from eating outside of your planned meals and calories and it will make you feel accomplished by taking care of things you always say you don't have time for :)

I know it sounds silly but you just have to stop and think before you eat, are you hungry or bored, are you hungry or sad? will this food make you feel better or worse after you're done eating?

Hope that helped a little :)
  • WinBattle
    WinBattle Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    As emotional eaters we recognize ourselves in other people's comments. I love your suggestion nolachick and plan on using it! Thanks!! I started out my weight loss on MFP at 180.5, but my highest wt, 184 lbs. I'm only 5'1.5" so the weight shows more on us shorties. Happy, sad, stressful, bored times, I eat. Hard habit to break so now I still eat during those times, but I eat veggies or berries, and even if it's chocolate I eat, it will definitely be less than it would have been before I started MFP. Good luck to all!
  • violenceandlace
    Options

I began MFP 3 years ago and I was also an emotional eater. I got bored, I ate, sad - I ate, happy - I ate. I pretty much ate myself up to almost 200lbs and i'm only 5'5". :noway:

I know that feel - I'm 5'1 and currently 205. But I've been sitting at this weight for a few years.
  • shortie120
    shortie120 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    @nolachick
    That is truly awesome advice, that i plan on trying...i am at a point where i have to retrain my mind and the way i think about exercising. Because i will not lie, i dislike it very much:grumble: and being as though I am constantly busy with a million and one things I've always made an excuse why I couldn't ( i'm tired, i have homework, my son has homework, etc.):noway: I am known for putting myself last and recently I got invited to a gym, I went and found out that the gym opens at 4 am.:smile: I've been going when they first open to get it over with. But i think once i begin seeing results, maybe i'll like it more. :wink:
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I ageee. It is hard as an emotional eater and NOLAchick's advice is awesome! I'm putting that into practice today.
  • joleenl
    joleenl Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Welcome :flowerforyou:

When I realized how bad it had gotten the first thing I did was made a TO DO list of all the things I wanted to do and put it off,
    eg. read a book (be specific), organize my closet, redecorate a room, whatever it is in your life you may be leaving for another day.... keep this list with you (I kept it saved on my phone)

Whenever I got sad, bored, or whatever and reached for a snack or junk food I would look at my list and do something on it. It will keep you away from eating outside of your planned meals and calories and it will make you feel accomplished by taking care of things you always say you don't have time for :)

I know it sounds silly but you just have to stop and think before you eat, are you hungry or bored, are you hungry or sad? will this food make you feel better or worse after you're done eating?

Hope that helped a little :)

Awesome advice. I did this too in my blog.
  • shortie120
    Options
    @WINBATTLE
    Thank you so much for your support. Support is something we cannot have enough of when dealing with breaking bad habits. I wish you the best of luck in your journey, don't be a stranger. If you need any words of encouragement feel free to contact me. We all needs some encouraging words sometimes. It's usually the smallest words that have the biggest impact.:wink:
    Stay SEF (strong, encouraged and focused) :smile:
  • allylovesyou93
    Options
    I mostly eat when i get sad, frustrated, depressed, and bored. The only thing that bothers me is, when i look at my self i get depressed because all the other girls my age are SO skinny. So, that doesn't help me at ALL. I am pretty sure I have a lack of confidence and will power. I try but in never works! I Have only lost 1 pound in 1 and a half weeks. That is not much but i am getting there. :)
  • djmom1984
    djmom1984 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am, and always will be, an emotional eater. I recognized that it was a chemical imbalance that I was trying to satisfy. I replace emotional eating with exercise. If I still feel like eating poorly afterward (a minimum of 1/2 hour of exercise required), then I allow myself a piece of whatever it was I wanted to eat. (I also have a 2" square of high quality chocolate EVERY work day!)

I'm currently down 20 lbs from my starting weight and now find myself addicted to exercise instead of food. I can live with that!
    :wink:
  • Twinklegirl34
    Twinklegirl34 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I too eat when emotional, especially when I am upset or feeling lonely, I've only just started turning my outlook around and find it really helps to have some healthy food cut up ready to go so that I can (try!) to grab a healthy option over an unhealthy one. I also try and have a bottle of water nearby and have a drink of water first, not sure why but seems to make me eat less! Also don't bash yourself up if you slip, just keep trying :)
  • shortie120
    Options
    BE ENCOURAGED; WE OWN THE WEIGHT THE WEIGHT DOESN'T OWN US....DETERMINATION, EDUCATION AND SUPPORT ARE THREE KEY FACTORS IN WEIGHT LOSS... I DO NOT KNOW FROM A PROFESSIONAL LEVEL, RATHER FROM A PERSONAL LEVEL.

I know that feel - I'm 5'1 and currently 205. But I've been sitting at this weight for a few years.
  • shortie120
    Options
    13 POUNDS LOST; CONGRATULATIONS. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY IF WOULD LIKE TO SHARE. THAT IS AWESOME.

SEF
    I ageee. It is hard as an emotional eater and NOLAchick's advice is awesome! I'm putting that into practice today.
  • shortie120
    Options
    DON'T FOCUS SO MUCH ON YOUR FLAWS (WE ALL HAVE THEM) RATHER FOCUS ON YOUR POSITIVE THE FACT THAT YOU LOST 5250 CALORIES (1 AND 1/2 POUNDS). THAT IS A WONDERFUL ACCOMPLISHMENT THAT YOU SHOULD BE PROUD OF.

I mostly eat when i get sad, frustrated, depressed, and bored. The only thing that bothers me is, when i look at my self i get depressed because all the other girls my age are SO skinny. So, that doesn't help me at ALL. I am pretty sure I have a lack of confidence and will power. I try but in never works! I Have only lost 1 pound in 1 and a half weeks. That is not much but i am getting there. :)
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Is this the same as binge eating? I'm not sure which category I fit into, but it's an ongoing battle. First I had to throw an interrupt into the process because I'd find myself elbow deep into a bag of chips, mindless crunching away. So I think that's imperative #1: interrupt that process! I had to become more mindful and catch myself walking into the kitchen or opening the refrigerator or cabinet door rather than already deep into eating. Now I ask myself: why are you in the kitchen, is it mealtime, do you know what you need most, where are you on carbs and protein? Oh, it's not mealtime? Get some water and get out of here!" When I'm having a really bad day (emotional), I wish that I could bypass that mindfulness and satisfy that inner longing with some quality munching. But no; that's what got me up to 207 pounds (5'6.5")

Also, I have a list, as nolachick suggested, although most of the time I just have to get back to my job at the computer, the kitchen only steps away.
  • jennifer_a00
    jennifer_a00 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm a stress eater, and an emotional COOK (I start cooking when I'm upset). Some days I have totally screwed up, but I just want to let you know, that if that happens (cause we are going to get emotional, we are only human), just don't give up and keep logging your food and stay active and you will be healthier for it! MFP is a great tool to help us all with our eating and health, and I wish you good luck!
  • Soontobethinlindsay
    Options
    HI! Sent ya a friend request! I eat my feelings as well... and this is my 3rd time on mfp, but the 3rd times the charm! I log in everyday and am on the journey of losing that 20 lbs. I am taking it seriously this time, so anyone out there needing some support, feel free to add me too!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options

that is great ,l healthy progress. Keep reminding yourself that you did not gain all the weight over night - you cannot expect to lose it over night.

I have been working out 5-6x a week for 4 weeks and am finally down 4lbs. It doesnt sound like a lot but its progress in the right direction! keep it up girl!