Experienced lifters - a question for you

Options
jzammetti
jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
I began a weight training routine 5 weeks ago and I am not sure if the weight I push around is considered "heavy" so I thought I'd ask for comparisons. I am 5'2" and weigh 125 and these are my latest numbers:

Barbell squat - 120#
Deadlift - 110#
Dumbbell shoulder press - 40#
seated row - 80#
Wide grip lat pulldown - 75#

These weights are an improvement for me from the beginning:

Barbell squat - 45#
Deadlift - 45#
Dumbbell shoulder press - 20#
Seated Row - 60#
Wide grip lat pulldown - 60#

What is considered "heavy"? Should I be aiming for more than my body weight in the dedlifts and squats? My grip strength is not great so the deadlifts are tough...and I feel like my arms are comparably weak...

Any thoughts? I guess this is kind of dumb...but I am wondering if I have the right to feel proud of myself for the changes in 5 weeks...and suggestions for how I can improve on the presses and pulldowns...

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Heavy is relative. If you can only do 3-8 reps before failing you are lifting heavy. How many reps and sets do you do with the weights you mentioned.
  • MrsRosenow
    MrsRosenow Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I would be interested what someone (heavy lifter) says. I have recently decided that I want to start researching and incorporating heavy lifting and not sure how to go about it...
    Jzammetti- You have improved so I would say that is a personal victory in and of itself :flowerforyou:
  • erickirb
    Options
    I would be interested what someone (heavy lifter) says. I have recently decided that I want to start researching and incorporating heavy lifting and not sure how to go about it...
    Jzammetti- You have improved so I would say that is a personal victory in and of itself :flowerforyou:

I would suggest picking up the book starting strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    How heavy the weight is is relative to your muscle mass and not your height and weight....let me give you an example....I am 5'5" and when leaned to 7% bodyfat, I weigh 137lbs, which is about 25lbs more than someone else wearing the same size clothes as I do....I can bench 215lb and squat over 500lbs......but you do not just start out lifting that kind of weight. Eating a balanced diet with high protein and natural (not processed) food helps build muscle mass and improve your lifting performance. You are just starting out, so you will not be able to lift "heavy" weight. Riht now, your heavy weight is the weight that you can only do 1-3 reps with....and I mean perform the exercise correctly.....that is key because ALOT of people say they can lift alot and do, but they are doing the exercise incorrectly and not using their muscles correctly. So, my advice to you is to start out with a good trainer to get your technique down and slowly add weight...you will build muscle...just always make sure you do the exercise correctly and do not worry about the weight. I always let my trainer put the weight on and never even knew how much I was lifting! LOL! Building muscle is fun and it is not always easy for everyone, bu hang in there and keep challenging yourself!
  • nursedebra2000
    Options
    [/quote]

I would suggest picking up the book starting strength, or New Rules of Lifting for Women.
    [/quote]

You do not need a special book for women to lift heavy.....women can lift just like men can....it may take longer for some, but not all. I know I have put many men to shame in the gym!
  • nursedebra2000
    Options

You do not need a special book for women to lift heavy.....women can lift just like men can....it may take longer for some, but not all. I know I have put many men to shame in the gym!
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    If you can barely finish the 8th rep or so after 3 sets it's heavy no matter what the weight is...
  • nberr
    nberr Posts: 29
    Options
    There are so many variables to what you could call heavy, but go with what is heavy for you. On the internet you'll get all kinds of e-stats...

EDIT: You're making great improvements!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts? I guess this is kind of dumb...but I am wondering if I have the right to feel proud of myself for the changes in 5 weeks...and suggestions for how I can improve on the presses and pulldowns...

Absolutely yes, you have the right to feel proud of yourself!
    Heck, *I* am proud of you and I don't even know you! :drinker:

You are progressing, lifting weights that are "heavy" relative to your current ability, and that's what matters most!
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Heavy is relative. If you can only do 3-8 reps before failing you are lifting heavy. How many reps and sets do you do with the weights you mentioned.

I have been following the NROLFW and can complete 2 sets of 8 for each weight mentioned (as the book directs). At those weights I could not do 10, but maybe 9.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    How heavy the weight is is relative to your muscle mass and not your height and weight....let me give you an example....I am 5'5" and when leaned to 7% bodyfat, I weigh 137lbs, which is about 25lbs more than someone else wearing the same size clothes as I do....I can bench 215lb and squat over 500lbs......but you do not just start out lifting that kind of weight. Eating a balanced diet with high protein and natural (not processed) food helps build muscle mass and improve your lifting performance. You are just starting out, so you will not be able to lift "heavy" weight. Riht now, your heavy weight is the weight that you can only do 1-3 reps with....and I mean perform the exercise correctly.....that is key because ALOT of people say they can lift alot and do, but they are doing the exercise incorrectly and not using their muscles correctly. So, my advice to you is to start out with a good trainer to get your technique down and slowly add weight...you will build muscle...just always make sure you do the exercise correctly and do not worry about the weight. I always let my trainer put the weight on and never even knew how much I was lifting! LOL! Building muscle is fun and it is not always easy for everyone, bu hang in there and keep challenging yourself!

thanks for the comparisons - 500#! Wow.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • erickirb
    Options

The book is not specific to women, it lets them know to lift heavy like a man (the sub title is) Lift Like a Man
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

^^this.

It's relative. My "heavy" isn't heavy relative to someone who's been lifting for years...but it is heavy for me because I'm toast on my 5th rep.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Check out http://www.strstd.com/
    it helps you get a good eye on your progress.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    Those are good numbers...
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    consider this 5'8" 24 year old ashamed of her own tiny lifts. well done!
  • mag1c
    mag1c Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I weigh 137lbs....I can squat over 500lbs......

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/files/PLWR-W-02-13-13.pdf
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'd say if it is heavy for you and you are progressing, then YES that is lifting heavy.

You are progressing much faster than I am:) I am still more hesitant on squats than I should be.

But specifically on the grip strength and deadlifts, I found adding upright barbell rows (I was already doing bent over row) to the mix helped that for me, might do the same for you.
  • jzammetti
    Options
    Check out http://www.strstd.com/
    it helps you get a good eye on your progress.

Very cool tool. Thanks