Sore chest muscles after resistance training. What to do?

Options
I started working out about a month ago. I've really kicked up the strength training with aerobics that include resistance bands. Now I'm feeling pulls and catches in my chest and on the sides of my chest daily when moving around. I'm trying to work out 3 days a week and when I first start a workout it almost relieves it a bit, but the soreness never really goes away. It's not really painful, but more of an awareness and sometime a little pain will shoot through. Since I'm not actually using weights, just mild resistance bands should I stop or just work through it? Any other females go through this?

I was doing zero exercise before other that walking so these muscles have never been worked like this before, but 3 days a week seems very moderate.

Thanks

Replies

• markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    you'll be alright. if after 2 weeks it's still sore then see a doctor. Maybe take a few days rest from resistance. You're new at this so expect soreness all over when you start doing real strength exercise.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. By the way this isn't a male/female thing. You're just talking about your pecs being sore from being blasted. You're going to feel that from the middle where it ties to your sternum all the way out and especially on the side where it ties in to your shoulder/arm area.

Take a day or two off working that muscle directly if it's so sore you can't move but don't worry about it being just sore and uncomfortable. That's perfectly normal. The soreness will get less and less the more often you do this exercise. Keep up the great work.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you are sure it's pain in your outer muscles and not in your heart, then you probably just strained a muscle. Stretch it out a couple of times a day. Start slow and stop when you feel pain, but stretch several times in one set. Keep your workouts, but baby that muscle a little so that you don't cause further strain. It should get better in a few days.

If there is any doubt whatsoever that it could be pain in your heart, call your doctor or go to the ER immediately.
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    youll be fine unless it last more than a week or so...
  • ecc4912
    ecc4912 Posts: 9
    Options
    Are you stretching after you exercise? Years ago, someone told me that when you exercise, lactic acid (or some acid) builds up in the muscle being used. When you stretch out afterwards, it spreads that acid out. If you don't spread it out, you'll be sore. Don't know how accurate that explanation is. I just know that I feel better the next day if I stretch out at the end of my workouts.
  • BreezySunshine22
    BreezySunshine22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've just been to the Dr and had a full work up and EKG a few weeks ago for a separate check up. Said my heart is fine so I really doubt it's my heart. It really feels like muscle soreness as I really feel it when I pull my shoulders back to stretch. It really warms up during the workout, but then gets sore each day after, but then again I've only been doing the resistance bands for a few weeks and NEVER worked my chest before. It's really new to me. I am definitely getting the workout bug. I love the workout. My recovery is getting better and well as me getting less out of breath when I walk my doggy up those hills!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    It really feels like muscle soreness as I really feel it when I pull my shoulders back to stretch. It really warms up during the workout, but then gets sore each day after

Yep, that's muscle soreness.

The most sore part will probably be right where your pecs tie in under your deltoids(shoulder) If you hold your arm straight out to your side you can grab this muscle quite easily and a you will really feel a light squeeze as being sore if that's the muscle from chest exercise.

See pectoralis major
    issa67abig.jpg
  • BreezySunshine22
    BreezySunshine22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much iWaffle!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Perfectly normal. By the way this isn't a male/female thing. You're just talking about your pecs being sore from being blasted. You're going to feel that from the middle where it ties to your sternum all the way out and especially on the side where it ties in to your shoulder/arm area.

Take a day or two off working that muscle directly if it's so sore you can't move but don't worry about it being just sore and uncomfortable. That's perfectly normal. The soreness will get less and less the more often you do this exercise. Keep up the great work.

Yep. All of this
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    This sounds typical and you could grow to enjoy the soreness. After I'm finished lifting, it's a sign that I gave myself a challenge. It's a pleasant tightness. However, to be on the safe side, it may help if you send me a photograph of the area.
    With love,
    Burt
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I've just been to the Dr and had a full work up and EKG a few weeks ago for a separate check up. Said my heart is fine so I really doubt it's my heart. It really feels like muscle soreness as I really feel it when I pull my shoulders back to stretch. It really warms up during the workout, but then gets sore each day after, but then again I've only been doing the resistance bands for a few weeks and NEVER worked my chest before. It's really new to me. I am definitely getting the workout bug. I love the workout. My recovery is getting better and well as me getting less out of breath when I walk my doggy up those hills!

If you can warm up to the point that it doesn't hurt during your workout, just do that. Warm up a little extra if you have to, do the workout, stretch well after.
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Soreness is pretty normal. For immediate relief, if you have a good heavy marble rolling pin, gently roll it out. If you have some one who won't make fun of you, have them help you because pecs can be awkward to do yourself. And really anything round and sturdy can be used, I like a rolling pin because it is easier for me to manage on my own, and I like marble because it is cool so it feels good, and if I want it cold I can refrigerate it.
  • Sitlalli
    Sitlalli Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i can totally relate. I started doing push ups and pull ups (with assistance) and my chest has felt totally sore! I kept asking my boyfriend if it was normal and he assured me that it was! I feel much better after reading everyones posts.