Which protein?

Options
Which protein powder do I need? I've been using precission engineered hardcore series pure whey protein (22g scoop- 17g protein)

Looking to buy more but want to shop around but have seen there are so many types? I'm looking to get lean by maintaining muscle and slimming down whilst on a calorie deficit NOT build massive muscles and get ripped!

Replies

• tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    I like Shakeology. It's not the cheapest, but there's lots of good stuff in it. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!
  • ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I like most of the Optimum Nutrition stuff. Tasty and pretty much nothing but protein. Hydro whey for post workout, The pro complex for a snack and the casein before bed. Chocolate flavors are really good.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I like Shakeology. It's not the cheapest, but there's lots of good stuff in it. You get what you pay for.

Good luck!

How would know with the abundant use of prop blends?
  • wattsy84
    wattsy84 Posts: 123
    Options
    As newbie I may be out of my depth as I have no idea what's in it all. Will this be ok for my needs..........

http://www.supplementcentre.com/ProductPage/11693/5lb-Matrix-Whey-Protein.asp
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    I use Optimum Nutrition, I see a bunch of my friends also using Trutein.

Shakeology is a waste of money, and complete bull****, don't bother with it.
  • xDawnsgrace
    xDawnsgrace Posts: 436
    Options
    I use EAS Soy protein. It's really good, especially if you use milk, instead of water to make the shake. it has 20 grams of protein per scoop, and it fills me up for a while after a workout. I love it.
  • mikepasztor
    Options
    There are a tons of proteins on the market. I like Optimum Nutritions products for the price. The Gold Standard is a decent product.

An easy way to look at the types of proteins first and what they do. After that, making an informed decision becomes easier.

A simple article on bodybuilding:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/protein-types-best-for-you.htm

There are tons of factors that will influence what kind of protein to take. Most nutrition companies use proprietary blends for post workout protein.

For example, I have 2 main tubs of protein that I use everyday.
    One is a blend of proteins, and the other is casein protein (ON's Gold Standard Casein).
    I often mix the two as well.

My blend consists of: 25% hydrolysed whey, 25% whey isolate, 10% hydrolyzed casein, 25% soy protein, and 15% gemma pea protein. This is a quicker absorbing protein and I get ~25g of protein a scoop.

I add a little bit of casein in my post workout shake as well for a slower protein delivery. I also use 75% casein and 25% blend at night for a nighttime protein.