Male; 27; Looking for a friend to help me win a bet!

Options
Hello! I’ve recently discovered this website and app, and I already love it. A couple of years ago I was able to get in pretty good shape by meticulously taking notes of my diet and logging every workout. It was the only approach that really worked for me. Now MFP makes it easy on me as I’m once again trying desperately to get in shape for summer.

But now I need your help. I do well with someone motivating me, whether supporters or doubters, and in this case I’ll have both. I have a bet with a close friend that I’ll see my abs this summer. She put up $500 saying I can’t do it. Now I need to find a friend or two on here with similar goals who can help push me to where I need to get. I have a long way to go.

About me:
27 year-old male
Love playing basketball
Reluctantly lift weights
Find treadmills and cardio machines very boring
I never work out without my heart rate monitor

Goals:
See my abs!
Reduce body fat to 10-12% (will require losing about 35 pounds from this point, while gaining muscle)
Fit all of my summer clothes that I was too fat to wear last year

Plan:
Very high protein, low carb, low fat diet
Lift ~3 times a week with ab work
Some light cardio during week with one very heavy cardio day on weekend
I have my workouts planned out for every day through June 23rd.

Anyone who has similar goals, please let me know! I need a friend to help hold me accountable. My plan is in place and has worked for me before, but I need the motivation to execute it.

Thanks,
Ben

Replies

• xxghost
    xxghost Posts: 4,697 Member
    Options
    Hey Ben! I'm Shelby. I'll be 21 in a couple of months.

I too have been focusing on eating more protein. It has been tough, but I know having friends with similar goals would really help.
    Plus, I also have a running bet with the rest of my family. I could use the money. We have similar motivations.

Best of luck over the next couple of months!
  • bmcmur1
    bmcmur1 Posts: 9
    Options
    I think we're in a pretty good situation. Look better, feel better, and get paid?

Good luck!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    Best of luck to you Ben .......you can do it .....my goal is to lose 30lbs before Memorial day ....I would love to motivate and support you so feel free to add me ...Megan
  • shellma00
    shellma00 Posts: 1,684 Member
    Options
    Good Luck on your bet.. I do not have the same goals as you as I am mainly counting calories, cardio exercising, and wanting to lose 50 lbs.

I just wanted to wish you luck

:glasses: :drinker:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    no pics no love
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    no pics no love

haha! yep
  • olsondre
    olsondre Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Someone put up a $500 stake in abs?

Best of luck with your goals
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Wow. Now that's dedication... May I suggest throwing in a day or two of HIIT? You burn twice the calories in like half the time, and it really boosts your metabolism. I do mine on elliptical, but you can do it on a track, alternating walking and sprinting, or on a treadmill (barf, I know)or do some form of HIIT with calisthenics...

Good luck! (I also hope to see my abs by July ; I have a horro convention to go to and I want to look awesome in my costume.)
  • LeanQuest
    LeanQuest Posts: 57
    Options
    Goodluck mate, It isn't easy revealing the abs as the leaner you get the harder it gets. Fuuny enough I have a similar bet with my best mate although the time frame is longer, September. The loser or the one who doesn't reveal his abs has to do a dare of the winners choice! My mate is scared of heights so I have a bungee jump planned for him!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I want abs too:) Working on it! I highly recommend the Les Mills CXWorx class if you have a gym around you that offers it. It has done wonders for my core strength and toning.
  • bmcmur1
    Options
    I hear ya...here come the pics! The only ones I have on this computer are a little out of date, but oh well.
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    haha, cool, I want to lose 20lbs and see abs (NOT bones...) :/ Working hard, trying to stay motivated. Add me!
  • bmcmur1
    Options
    Yep it's actually a 2-part bet.

$250 for seeing my abs by a specific date this summer (there will be a neutral judge who has no idea about the bet)
    $250 for going one year without soda or fast food (I started in September and have been clean so far)
  • boomerz12
    boomerz12 Posts: 140
    Options
    I'd gladly give up soda and fast food for 250 bucks :P
    I'm trying to lose fat and tone up my body, I know I've got abs in there somewhere and I'll find them one day! And I despise treadmills and cardio.
    Feel free to add if you want(:
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    wait a minute! you're adorable!

(is this legal?)
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Options
    and youre a photographer in DC? Im a photog in NY O_O
  • bmcmur1
    Options
    AlienRedQueen - You're right. I do play basketball twice a week which imitates HIIT and really burns the calories. The only issue is that it's not as easy to regiment as it is on a treadmill. Having a heart rate monitor on while I play certainly helps though. Once the weather gets nice around here I'll get out on a football field to do some HIIT, alternating sprinting and walking.

SARgirl - Thanks for the recommendation! I'll look into it. My workout plan is split into 3 phases so I can adjust at each stage. Right now I just need to push through my weighted core workouts and then I'll be looking to change it up.

LeanQuest - Good luck with your bet. I am terrified of heights so that would definitely motivate me. Does he know that's what you have in store for him if you win? And you're right. I know how hard it is and what I'm up against. It's hard to lose the weight that I need without losing the muscle that I want to show through. Since you have more time, free to add me and learn from my successes and failures.
  • bmcmur1
    Options
    Thanks everyone for feedback. Good luck to you all.

I'll be posting progress often and some new pictures and videos as I go.