Help! How much should i be eating at 122lb?

Options
Hi. I am 5'4 and 122 lb. I have been dieting and exercising for about two months now and have lost 5lb however i am still unsure how much i am supposed to be eating?

I started off with 1200 calories a day and i have been losing about 0.2lb a week which i know is acceptable as i don't have much to lose however i found that i was quite hungry and i heard that you should be eating more than 1200 a day. I have now upped it to 1400 calories. Does that seem about right?

I have been feeling quite tired recently and always hungry! But i don't know if that is because i know i can only eat so much that i want to eat more. Any help please? What is everyone's calories allowance for the day?

Replies

• FitBrit91
    Options
    I am pretty sure that at 5'4, and 122lbs you shouldn't be trying to lose any more weight. That is in the lower end for your height. What about maybe trying to build some lean muscle now, and see if you like your results. :)
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I eat 1500-1550 to maintain my weight (don't weigh much). Have you tried a TDEE calculator? If not you should check here: http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/
    Once you get that number, that's the amount of calories you should eat to maintain your weight. For weight loss subtract 15%-20% from that number and there you have it.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am 5'4 and 122 lb. I have been dieting and exercising for about two months now and have lost 5lb however i am still unsure how much i am supposed to be eating?

I started off with 1200 calories a day and i have been losing about 0.2lb a week which i know is acceptable as i don't have much to lose however i found that i was quite hungry and i heard that you should be eating more than 1200 a day. I have now upped it to 1400 calories. Does that seem about right?

I have been feeling quite tired recently and always hungry! But i don't know if that is because i know i can only eat so much that i want to eat more. Any help please? What is everyone's calories allowance for the day?

Don't over think it. You're losing weight, so it really comes down to how you feel. If you're feeling good, have good energy, etc etc, then just keep doing what you're doing. If you feel lethargic, then increase cals by 100 or so for a couple of week then reevaluate.
  • slhodge78
    slhodge78 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am 5'4" and 120 lbs. I eat an average of 1550 calories a day. I have maintained this weight since October. If you want to lose more weight, I think your plan of 1400 should be good. I disagree with the above poster that it wouldn't be healthy to lose any more weight. Depending on your frame you could still lose a few more lbs and be fine. At 120, I still have a few lbs of fat that I could stand to lose.

Edit: I am talking about net calories. I eat my exercise calories.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
  • valey1234
    valey1234 Posts: 29
    Options
    you dont include enough information for an accurate response . what kind of foods are you eating? are you getting enough fiber? mabe you need to look at all of your options you are a good weight for your hieght. so just try a few small changes and see good luck. valey1234
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I'm about your same height and weight and I'm eating about 1500 calories a day during the week and more on weekends. My fitbit says I usually burn about 1850 cals/day (more on weekends) and I try to eat at a 250 cal deficit. I'm losing weight slowly, but that's okay with me because my fat % is going and I'm maintaining my lbm.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options

This!

I'm 5'5 122 pounds and I eat around 2100-2400 calories a day at maintenance. I would suggest incorporating strength training into your routine rather than worrying about losing more weight. The strength training will shape your body and may give you the "tone" you are looking for.
  • fevermaps
    fevermaps Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I was a 114 a few years back and i wasn't overly skinny. I have a small frame. I just feel flabby round the middle. I am doing strength training and i see i am toning but i still need to lose a bit more fat.
  • fevermaps
    Options
    I'm about your same height and weight and I'm eating about 1500 calories a day during the week and more on weekends. My fitbit says I usually burn about 1850 cals/day (more on weekends) and I try to eat at a 250 cal deficit. I'm losing weight slowly, but that's okay with me because my fat % is going and I'm maintaining my lbm.

Thanks. I feel a lot better knowing others are eating about the same. I am worried about upping my calories and putting on weight. I know i shouldn't be but i am!
  • fevermaps
    Options
    you dont include enough information for an accurate response . what kind of foods are you eating? are you getting enough fiber? mabe you need to look at all of your options you are a good weight for your hieght. so just try a few small changes and see good luck. valey1234

My diary is open. I think i am eating good. I try to eat whole grains and protein with vegetables with an odd treat day now and again!