brown sticky rice for sushi?

Options
a5emens
a5emens Posts: 8
does anyone know how to make sushi with brown rice or quinoa? i tried it once but it kinda fell apart and ended up becoming a sushi salad.. haha
or does anyone know how to prepare brown rice or quinoa to make it sticky?? i want the nutrients and health benefits that white starchy sticky rice does not offer.

Replies

• a5emens
    a5emens Posts: 8
    Options
    oh thank you! thats a great idea, i will try both :)
  • judydelo1
    judydelo1 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/judydelo1/view/first-time-making-sushi-rolls-505467

I made sushi this weekend!! I used sushi rice and added the rice vinegar/sugar/salt mixture to it. Even still it was very low in calories!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    It's not going to be exactly the same, but to get the white rice sticky, chefs add rice vinegar and a teeny bit of sugar. have you tried that yet?

Rice vinegar!
  • Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    RU using short grain brown rice? And make sure you are adding enough water when you cook it - here in Hawaii we all pretty much have a rice cooker in the kitchen - easiest and most consistent way of cooking rice. Short grain will be "wetter/stickier" than the long grain variety - and yes, you do need to add rice vinegar and some sugar to give it that sushi rice flavoring! Oh and I assume you are making your sushi rolls with hot rice? That will help if not. And yes, a bowl is always a good option - with Nori flaked on top - yum.
    :flowerforyou: