Protein based snacks

My nutritionist has suggested my snack always be protein or protein and carb combined, My favorites so far is 1% cottage cheese with cherry tomatoes, or an apple with 1 tablespoon peanut butter, or 2 % plain greek yogurt with fresh strawberries.

Does anyone have some other ideas for good snacks with protein?

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    chicken breast
    tuna on a Triscuit (sometimes with tomato and/or cucumber if I have it)
    hard-boiled egg
  • tamcrit
    tamcrit Posts: 340 Member
    I always eat potein/carb combo snacks/meals. My standards are...protein shakes with fresh fruit, protein bars (I love the Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Nature Valley Protein Chewy Bars), string cheese with an orange, almonds with an apple, veggies with hummus, cottage cheese with fruit, Greek yogurt with fruit or veggies, mini muffin-pan eggwhite omelets with veggies, protein pancakes with fruit...hope that gives you a few new ideas.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    String Cheese
    Nuts (I like the Emerald Brand Sweet & Salty Chocolate Peanut Butter)
    Proscuitto wrapped around a Laughing Cow cheese wedge
    Babybel cheese
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Nuts, Eggs, Protein bars, Cheese. I mostly snack on nuts, but be careful because they are heavy in calories. The most I will eat at one time is 2 ounces and that is like one handful.
  • majikmiker
    majikmiker Posts: 291 Member
    Laughing cow cheese with brown rice crackers....mmmm.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Real beef jerky. The homemade kind made with quality steak, not the nasty pre-packaged crap. Smoked gouda, about 2 oz. Especially the two together. :)
  • Quest bars. PB on a rice cake. Raw almonds. Hard boiled eggs. Greek yogurt.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    You can eat some nuts.
  • dreamer722
    dreamer722 Posts: 57 Member
    I do a lot of peanut butter on a slice of bread or crackers. Protein mug cakes that cook for 1 minute in the microwave are awesome too because they'll give the protein and carb boost but curb the sweets craving that I will sometimes get.
  • TAMayorga
    TAMayorga Posts: 341 Member
    I'll eat almonds and raisins together.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    I love a nice summer sausage in the afternoons.
    With love,
    -Burt
  • TravisBikes
    TravisBikes Posts: 674 Member
    I like raw nuts personally.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    You can eat some nuts.

Nuts are always good. And you really can't go wrong with any size.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Turkey Pepperoni makes a good low cal-high protein snack.

Though I've been known to just snack on sandwich meat.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Nuts are good, but they do have a lot of fat. How about some beef jerky?
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Quest bars. PB on a rice cake. Raw almonds. Hard boiled eggs. Greek yogurt.
    Brownie points for mentioning Quest protein bars. The new cookie dough and banana nut muffin flavors have overtaken cinnamon roll as my favorites.
  • loril13
    loril13 Posts: 320 Member
    I'm sort of scr**ed for protein snacks. I hate eggs with a passion and am not a huge fam of cold cheese. Most of the cheeses I like alot a full of sodium. Most protein rich snacks I like are also sodium heavy. I love almonds and I usually have a fiber one bar, or something similar, for my morning snack.

I do not have any pesonal health issues requiring low sodium. I am usually close, but under the 2500 daily mgs. I do have family history of heart disease so I like to be aware of my sodium intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Low sodium/natural deli cuts. Cucumber sandwiches. Plain low fat greek yogurt with fresh fruit (I don't mind the fat free so I eat that). Whole grain crackers with low fat laughing cow cheese or low fat cream cheese. Low fat cheese (sticks or low fat mini babybel). Canned tuna and avocado lettuce wrap. Protein bar/shake.

That's pretty much what I go back to.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Crackers with cheese and meat.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    (Mark's Daily Apple; chriskresser.com; Weston A Price Foundation; gnolls.org).