Steam room/Dry Sauna/Jacuzzi

kspeach
kspeach Posts: 179 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
So, headed to the gym that I just joined, and they have all 3 of the above. Now, I know what a jacuzzi is. :) What is each one most beneficial in your experience? It's a eucalyptus steam room....my favorite scent.

Is it okay to go from one to the other?

I meet with my trainer on Friday but can't wait to use some of the amenities!!

TIA!

Replies

• July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    I like the steam room because it helps me to be able to stretch easier. Loosens me up more than the sauna. And I like the way it opens your pores and then you sweat out all the impurities, moreso than in the Dry sauna.

That is my experiences.
  • I would say sauna. I actually own a sauna suit that I bought from walmart and I love it. I only paid $7.77. You can wear it indoor and outdoor and you know when to take it off when it's too much.
  • makmyra
    makmyra Posts: 121 Member
    I love the dry sauna....I sweat easily and I don't like the steamy-foggy effect in the steam room...that's just my thought. Have fun! :smile:
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Sauna suit! Neato! I have an infrared sauna at home that I need to use more!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    What's a sauna suit? :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • amg5157
    amg5157 Posts: 52
    I LOVE a sauna...its the reason i stay at my gym! I get in there every time i workout bc I feel like it helps me stretch better. :-)
  • kspeach
    Woo hooo!! :) I'm sooo looking forward to it. Maybe I'll do the dry sauna before I work out to help warm up my muscles, and the steam room afterwards...who knows! :) I also meet with a trainer today instead of waiting till Friday (she just called) so I'll have a lot of questions for her too! :)

Thanks!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I like doing the dry sauna after a work out 'cause it just relaxes me. I'm only "allowed" to use it twice a week since my membership is at another location but the one with the sauna's closer to my house and I'm seriously considering doing the sauna after yoga tonight. We'll see!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I like the dry sauna best too!

I always imagine the damp is full of cooties. LOL maybe my own neurosis,:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I love the dry heat, and I have no problem sweating up a storm in there! I try to see how long I can last.
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    i think it's all a matter of preference. i've tried the sauna and didn't like it because it felt so drying which i know is the point. i felt like a wilted butterfly. i then went into the steam room (with eucalyptus) and felt quite rejuvenated immediately entering and didn't want to leave :love: . i've done the jacuzzi as well and it felt good but not as good as the steam room. :wink:

the one thing i do recommend is that if u go from sauna to steam room or vice versa please bring ur own towel for u 2 sit on.

also before entering the jacuzzi take a quick shower so that you can slough off any sweat. it'll b much appreciated 2 any1 already in the jacuzzi when u hop in. :flowerforyou: LOL
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    I personally prefer the steam room. I miss it at my old gym. And eucalyptis in it? WOW that is awesome!!

I know people who go from sauna to steam room. Bring your own towel to sit on/in and a bottle of water filled to the brim. You should drink a ton of water in both of them.

lucky you!
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    I'm not expert, but I enjoy both -- though I have a preference for the sauna.

I've heard it said that the dry heat of the sauna can be good at warming up muscles and joints -- which is why there is some benefit to spending time in one prior to getting a massage.

The more humid air of the steam room is good for opening up pores and sweating out toxins.

Mel
  • kspeach
    Well, I did almost 10 minutes in the HOT OMG IS IT HOT dry sauna before I did the treadmill and fitness assessment.

Afterwards, I didn't have time for a jacuzzi, so I went into the steam room. It was STEAMY! I've never EVER been in a steam room! It almost overwhelmed me at first, but then I grew accustomed a bit, and really liked it. I stayed in around 10-15 minutes, and that was all I could take. I didn't take any water in with me, and I knew I should have. Plus, the gym was starting to get busy (5:30) and I wanted to be out of the locker room with all the skinny minnies. ;)

Tomorrow, I might do some aqua aerobics, and then jacuzzi....or steam. It felt good on my skin. A lady came in after me, and she said she puts a facial cleanser mask thing on when she comes in the steam. Is that cool, or not cool? I've never been in a gym like this before.

:)
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Well, I did almost 10 minutes in the HOT OMG IS IT HOT dry sauna before I did the treadmill and fitness assessment.

Afterwards, I didn't have time for a jacuzzi, so I went into the steam room. It was STEAMY! I've never EVER been in a steam room! It almost overwhelmed me at first, but then I grew accustomed a bit, and really liked it. I stayed in around 10-15 minutes, and that was all I could take. I didn't take any water in with me, and I knew I should have. Plus, the gym was starting to get busy (5:30) and I wanted to be out of the locker room with all the skinny minnies. ;)

Tomorrow, I might do some aqua aerobics, and then jacuzzi....or steam. It felt good on my skin. A lady came in after me, and she said she puts a facial cleanser mask thing on when she comes in the steam. Is that cool, or not cool? I've never been in a gym like this before.

:)

I think using a mask would be acceptable, but any other 'grooming' would be frowned upon.
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    I would definitely recommend doing the sauna and steam room after you've worked out -- use it as a reward to loosen up the muscles post-workout and relax. The heat can be a bit taxing and you don't want to go into any workout with your energy zapped already.

Also, make sure you only stay in either room approximately 10-20 minutes (depending on your tolerance). There can be potential health hazards if you stay in that kind of heat for too long.

As for masks and related activities...they can be done, but I would definitely keep it to a minimum. Some folks go crazy with the bathing regimen they do in the spa area, which I think is a bit strange (as well as a bit rude and potentially unsanitary). You may not want to do any kind of mask in the steam room -- all that moisture may make the mask just run off your face and in your eyes anyway. You might want to think about taking 5-10 minutes post-steam room to mask your face -- when the pores are open.

Anyway...I guess that's enough "Sauna Talk with Melissa" for now.

Mel
This discussion has been closed.