Sidetracked.....help!

Options
Hello All,

A little something brief about me: I just started the gym last week. I was speaking with a coworker who is also in the gym, she has been going since March of this year. Now, as I am heavier than her, we both have guts. Hers however, is WAY smaller than mine. She has like a lump and a pooch, while I look like i'm about 4 months pregnant (i'm not and have never been!) :-(

She says to me: I have been working out and I can't lose my stomach. I said: Cardio. She says: I have been working out since March and it's not going anywhere!

Now I feel kinda discouraged. My gut is way bigger than hers, and I have been doing good with my foods and calorie count....but if she's been working on hers 3 months and has no results, I'm wondering if the same is gonna happen for me!
I DO know that every body is different. Every BMI, BMR, Metabolism, etc....
But it did kind of make feel bad..... Can someone, preferbly someone who had a gut please share their success story with me. I just need to know i'm not gonna lose a lot of weight and still have a fat stomach.

Thank you so very much!

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a big stomach, but I did have a pouch when I started losing weight. The only part of my body still hanging on to fat are my thighs. :grumble: But even they are getting there. The thing that's worked for me were Jillian Michael DVDs, P90X, drinking TONS of water, and eating smarter/healthier. With time and patience it came off. It could be my thighs are her gut; the last to go. Ab workouts will help tone her muscles in that area and will help burn more overall fat will might help. Not sure how much of that she does. Hope this helps!
  • dsillitt
    dsillitt Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A few years ago, I buckled down and lost 65 lbs, and I still have a little bit of a pouch. There's no way to control where the weight/fat comes off of your body. It's hard at the start, when you're busting your butt and not seeing results, but stick with it and it'll pay off, I promise. Remember, any progress is good progress, and losing the weight will definitely shrink your stomach to some extent!
  • mspraul
    mspraul Posts: 21
    Options
    Every person is completely different. Just because she is/isn't losing her body weight in a particular way, doesn't mean the same will happen to you. There are also a lot of other factors to consider: what kind of foods does she eat, is she drinking enough water every day, what is the intensity of her workouts, etc.

There are a lot of folks I see at the gym that seem to just hang out or stroll on the treadmill without working that hard. I'm sure they go home and say "I was working out at the gym" even though I wouldn't view it that way.

Don't worry about what's happening with your coworker. You keep doing what you're doing and don't be discouraged.

Mel
  • kimbot
    kimbot Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice/support!

mspraul, you're right about that because IDK how much water she drinks but I do know she eats a lot of grilled cheese sandwiches and says she works out about 4 times a week.

Well, i'm keep at it...I know a week is nothing and i need months of working out to get where i want to be.

Thanks!
  • tgaul
    tgaul Posts: 123
    Options
    I carry alot of my weight in the stomach as well. This is one of the first spots I lost from. In the beginning of this journey I focused more on cardio and was not seeing so much weight loss as inches. As of now I have lost 17 inches a most of that is from the abdomen area.

Just remember everyone is different and that you are doing this for you.
  • kimbot
    Options
    thanks a lot. It really does help.
  • KaySaver
    KaySaver Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on just one thing! Your gut is the worst thing to focus on too! For most women it is the last thing to flatten out.

Focus on the good and positive things that you are doing right now, like going to the gym and eating healthier and better. Those are two things that will change your life.

Remember that your body will need some time to get back into shape. You didn't put that weight on over night and it's not going to come off overnight.

You are doing it the right way and your body will follow a long, just keep at it and don't give up!

You are doing the right thing and when ever you are feeling flustered or in a bad mood or just having a bad day then get on this site and blurt it all out, you will feel better.

That is what all of this is all about, feeling better, inside and out!

Keep it up! You can do this! Stay positive!
  • kimbot
    Options
    Very positive words and great advice! Thank you SO MUCH!:flowerforyou: