Fitbit

Options
Does anyone use the fitbit to track calories? How do you guys like it?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the FitBit Zip and wondering whether to get it or wait for the new Flex. I like the idea of a wristband but then again not sure in the summer if I'll want that on all the time.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    There are over 50 pages of posts regarding Fitbit. Go to SEARCH (above) and type in Fitbit. However, in answer to your question: I tried a Fitbit but had a lot of problem with inaccurate logging. It credited me with steps when riding in the carand sleeping: stairs when walking around my single story house. It under credited (I felt) with active exercise like work outs with Leslie Sansone DVDs. I returned it and am now using a BodymediaFit which seems much more accurate for me. However most posts on this site are very happy with Fitbit.
  • KelBelz22
    KelBelz22 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was just looking at the FitBit Zip and wondering whether to get it or wait for the new Flex. I like the idea of a wristband but then again not sure in the summer if I'll want that on all the time.

I have a Fitbit Zip. I got it last Saturday and I have had no issues. I do not use it to log my food. I use MFP and I have the Fitbit synced to MFP so when I go to fitbit.com all my food shows up there anyway. I was thinking twice about the wrestband and I decided not to for two reasons. One, for the reason that you said, summer is coming and I would prefer not to have to worry about it with tan lines. I tend to be outside a lot in the summer. And two, I don't know about you but I wear bracelets somewhat frequently and I didn't want to be wearing both a bracelet and the wristband. But it's all personal prefernce. The Zip does everything that I need it to.

Good Luck!
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I bought a FitBit and couldn't get it to sync on my laptop. I returned it and got a BodyMedia instead. I love it! It straps on to the left arm and tracks steps, calories burned, exercise minutes, sleep, etc. It's very accurate and has helped me lose weight.
  • bsalvato
    bsalvato Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are over 50 pages of posts regarding Fitbit. Go to SEARCH (above) and type in Fitbit. However, in answer to your question: I tried a Fitbit but had a lot of problem with inaccurate logging. It credited me with steps when riding in the carand sleeping: stairs when walking around my single story house. It under credited (I felt) with active exercise like work outs with Leslie Sansone DVDs. I returned it and am now using a BodymediaFit which seems much more accurate for me. However most posts on this site are very happy with Fitbit.

When you are doing an activity (like riding in the car) where it can track inaccurately you need to turn the timer on and then go back and edit that activity. It then removes the steps. I wear mine 24/7 and find that it's fairly accurate when I use it and am diligent about using the timer when driving/riding in the car or another non walking/jogging type activity and then editing later.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    If you go here, you'll get a ton of info as well http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users

I love my Fitbit, it's helped me start moving a lot which is easy to forget to do at my desk job :laugh:
  • JimLeonardRN
    JimLeonardRN Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the Ultra and I love it!
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I bought my fitbit ultra soon after joining MFP. I log food through MFP walking exercise is picked up automatically by fitbit. I set a session and remove it when doing non-walking exercise (rowing machine and resistance exercises), and enter the exercise manually into fitbit. I think MFP often gives too many calories for exercise. I have learned to set a session when I start a long car journey and, at the end of the journey, specify it as such. I know that jerky movements whilst driving can record as steps and I know that, at all times, downward changes in atmospheric pressure can register as floors ascended. That's the downside of using an aneroid barometer for sensing climbs. I have also learned to put it into sleep recording when turning in for the night.

The fitbit is a relatively inexpensive pedometer based device with very good free web support. It links with some other free services, like MFP. I also use the fitbit aria scale. It is not perfect, but does a good job. It also links with TrendWeight which does a sterling job of converting daily weighings, with all the fluctuation that involves, into a comprehensible trend.

It works for me and I wouldn't want to be without it.
  • bevmcarthur
    bevmcarthur Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    dont waist your money I bought one and they ended up having to send me a few as they would just stop working it was the first one they made but i still wouldn't waist my money on it about all it does it record your steps to me that means nothing as its not cardio so really does it matter how many steps you take if your heart rate is not up. I would buy a heart rate monitor but thats just my opinion
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options

When you are doing an activity (like riding in the car) where it can track inaccurately you need to turn the timer on and then go back and edit that activity. It then removes the steps. I wear mine 24/7 and find that it's fairly accurate when I use it and am diligent about using the timer when driving/riding in the car or another non walking/jogging type activity and then editing later.

Don't have to do that with the Bodymedia Fit. Just put it on, wear it, and forget about it. It syncs easily to my phone, tablet and computer. Numbers for exercise (Walk Away the Pounds/leslie Sansone seem more accurate also. The only problem I have had with it was registering sleep. I sleep almost in an upright position and it couldn't tell I was lying down. I put it on my calf instead and it now seems to be right on. (For awhile I tried to note the time every time I woke up to see how it correlated (I am a poor sleeper) and I was surprised to see that its times were correcfct when it showed I was awake.)
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I comtemplated between the Bodymedia Fit and the Fitbit and went with the FItbit and love it. I work from home and tend to be very sedentary...no parking far away and walking into the office or taking the stairs. I find that by monitoring this it just helps keep me more active. I set timers througout the day to remind me to get up and move and it just vibrates silently as a reminder. I get up and go up and down the stairs a few times or use my elliptical. I've not had any issues with the accuracy. When I run, the mileage matches the route I've taken or the mileage recorded on my iPOD. I also like how small it is (Fitbit One) and clip it to my bra strap. I've even worn it out dancing and no one noticed I had it. I didn't think I could do that with the Bodymedia Fit.
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i use my fitbit daily, yes it does track calories, but it does not give them all back to you when it 'talks' to MFP. MFP 'averages' the amt, which seems like a reasonable amt to me. I love my fitbit, I use it during zumba class as well. The only thing on the fitbit I look at is the steps, all the other info I let it talk to MFP and sort it out. I don't record anything on the fitbit site, I record everything on MFP and they hash it out. I'm looking forward to spring to see how it will do when I'm on the bike, I'm gonna try to keep it on my sock or shoe or something, might work, might not, we'll see. I have alot of MFP friends that are fitbit'ers, feel free to add me as a friend if you want!!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Zip I have been using since the middle of January when I started. Once it's set up with MFP, the whole thing works like a charm. It's quite accurate compared to my GPS walking app. I love mine and it works for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I pre -ordered a flex. Tan lines don't bother me. I read that they fixed a lot of annoying kinks. Anyway, giving it a shot and can't wait to check it out.
  • Staci64
    Staci64 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Forgot to add, the fitbit syncs up real easy too!! I leave my toggle plugged into my work computer and anytime I get within 20feet of it, they sync info. When I'm not at work it syncs with my iphone---have to have at least a 4S though, it won't sync with just the 4. I clip it on in the morning and forget its there, just go through the day and take it off at bedtime (i have the zip), it syncs all my info by itself. If your unsure if you'll like it, try the zip, its like $60 on amazon, then if you really like it, upgrade later to the flex or One.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I pre -ordered a flex. Tan lines don't bother me. I read that they fixed a lot of annoying kinks. Anyway, giving it a shot and can't wait to check it out.

My husband wants this one too! I'll see how he likes it before I trade in my One.
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Love my zip....wife loves her One. Set them up right and you'll become addicted...especially if you like goals.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options

My husband wants this one too! I'll see how he likes it before I trade in my One.

I was looking at ALL of those gadgets. It looks comparable to NIKE FUEL which I thought was cool, but it doesn't sync with MFP. I liked the whole sync factor.
  • Sambytheway82
    Options
    Iv got the fitbit one and love it.. It's great for me an what I do xd
  • fivenight
    fivenight Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Good morning
    Ultra fitbit has save my asssssssss it is a lot smaller lol. It encourages you to do that extra step or climb an extra floor.
    Good luck - I love it and it has worked for me.
    Go forward with confidents and you will succeed and have fun.