Feeling frustrated - no loss with MFP

Options
I am faithfully tracking my food and exercise. I am always over my exercise goals and under my calories goals yet I am still not losing weight. I just want to vent. It is very frustrating!

Replies

• kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary but I would think (like me up until yesterday) you are way under eating - how many cal / day are you doing?
  • MrsTheunissen
    MrsTheunissen Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I am faithfully tracking my food and exercise. I am always over my exercise goals and under my calories goals yet I am still not losing weight. I just want to vent. It is very frustrating!

If you open your food diary we can help you from that end.
    But few things:
    Water
    Sodium
    exersice
    stay away from prossesed food
    eat veggies
    The hard one.. Give it some time, a few weeks at least ( If I could ge this one I would be happy ):drinker:
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Lots of questions: How far under your calorie goals are you? What does your meal plan look like (you could open your diary so we can give you more personalized information)? How are you measuring your food? How are you calculating your exercise calories? What did you set your target weight loss goal to when you joined? With only 11 pounds less to go, you should probably be aiming for 0.5 pounds a week.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Please post your daily caloric intake goal or open your diary up.

Also check out In The Place of a Roadmap.. I have a feeling that you are not eating enough calories and that is why you are experiencing a stall.
  • vancityduck
    Options

If you open your food diary we can help you from that end.
    But few things:
    Water
    Sodium
    exersice
    stay away from prossesed food
    eat veggies
    The hard one.. Give it some time, a few weeks at least ( If I could ge this one I would be happy ):drinker:

I drink 2 to 3 litres of water per day, i don't eat any processed food. I follow a paleo diet and have been eating this way for months. I have thyroid disease however, which slows metabolism. Very annoying. I eat 1200 calories a day, but eat back my exercise calories.
  • vancityduck
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have my MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week with 1200 calories a day. I eat clean, whole foods and drink lots of water. I currently run 3 times a week and do yoga 2 times a week. I want to start weight lifting again but am battling rotator cuff issues and getting physio for that. Thanks.
  • kmcosgrove115
    kmcosgrove115 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1200 is way too low - I'd recalculate your TDEE and reset that # - if you are way low like I think, your body is now just stalled - it needs more food to burn...............
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    Oh no.. 1200 is incredibly low. Even when I was 120lbs in high school, I had to eat more than 1200 a day!

Up your calories 300-500 (with healthy foods) in addition to the exercise you are doing and I am sure you will be losing again in no time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    If you have a thyroid condition, have you talked to your doctor about what your calorie goals should be? Certain medical conditions and medications throw a monkey wrench into calorie calculators as they are just numbers based off of averages for a "healthy" person.

I'm in a situation where my BMR is about 10% less than what it would be for the average person my age, weight, etc. It should be around 1,790...but it's acutally around 1,610. On average, someone of my same stats, workout routine, etc should maintain on around 2,650 calories per day...I maintain at 2,400 calories per day.

Personally, if it's a medical condition we're talking about, and not just average caloric intake, you really should talk to your Dr/nutritionist, etc.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Everyone....1,200 may or may not be too low for the OP. Generally, I would concur with that and 1,200 being too low..but she has a thyroid condition...it may very well be too high, especially if she's grossing more with exercise calories. Medical conditions throw a monkey wrench into the whole equation....time to talk to a medical professional IMHO.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I think just because she stopped losing weight doesn't necessarily equate to a thyroid condition. I do agree that she should see a doc (if she hasn't already) though. Did I miss the part where she said she had a thyroid condition because I am not seeing it.. if I had, I wouldn't have responded at all as it's something a doctor should advise her on.

I don't now anyone who can eat only 1200 calories a day unless they are children.. my stomach hurts just thinking of depriving myself that much.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have a thyroid condition, have you talked to your doctor about what your calorie goals should be? Certain medical conditions and medications throw a monkey wrench into calorie calculators as they are just numbers based off of averages for a "healthy" person.

I'm in a situation where my BMR is about 10% less than what it would be for the average person my age, weight, etc. It should be around 1,790...but it's acutally around 1,610. On average, someone of my same stats, workout routine, etc should maintain on around 2,650 calories per day...I maintain at 2,400 calories per day.

Personally, if it's a medical condition we're talking about, and not just average caloric intake, you really should talk to your Dr/nutritionist, etc.

THIS ^^ 100% this
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think just because she stopped losing weight doesn't necessarily equate to a thyroid condition.

One of her posts says she has thyroid problems.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Come join us at the Last Ten Pounds Group
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/12168-the-last-ten-pounds

check out the "tips and tricks" link - lots of articles and ideas on there.

One of the common themes from my research is that if you try to lose too fast when you are close to goal weight (2 lbs a week is pretty intense) your body is going to say "no way" because it feels you are fine the way you are. You have to lull it into submission by eating enough calories a day. That being said, if you are (after exercise) eating at least your BMR, then that is probably OK. The bottom line is, the last ten are SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW because it's hard to get much of a deficit. I have MFP set to half pound loss a week, but I try not to eat back many exercise calories. Remember as we get lighter, we burn less with exercise too.

Keep going, don't give up!!!
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Everyone....1,200 may or may not be too low for the OP. Generally, I would concur with that and 1,200 being too low..but she has a thyroid condition...it may very well be too high, especially if she's grossing more with exercise calories. Medical conditions throw a monkey wrench into the whole equation....time to talk to a medical professional IMHO.
    I agree with this. I have an underactive thyroid and tried following the TDEE-20% rule and my weightloss totally stalled and then I actually started to gain. I now have my calories set to 1200 and I eat back some of my exercise calories which are calculated using a hrm. Not everyone can eat more to lose.
  • vancityduck
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have Hashimotos Thyroiditis and i'm on medication for it. My doctor thinks 1200 is healthy. I think I might try 1400 and see how it goes.
  • caspergirl7
    caspergirl7 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have my MFP set to lose 2 pounds per week with 1200 calories a day. I eat clean, whole foods and drink lots of water. I currently run 3 times a week and do yoga 2 times a week. I want to start weight lifting again but am battling rotator cuff issues and getting physio for that. Thanks.

Have you taken your measurements? Its possible that you are gaining muscle but losing inches..
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options

You have 11 pounds to lose, re-set your goals to .5 pounds a week and go from there. I bet you will see results eating more.
  • vancityduck
    Options
    Thanks! I re-set my MFP to lose .5 pounds per week. Will see how it goes!