Vegetable Powders

Options
I am biking across America, 50 to 60 miles per day, starting April 15, 2013. People have made wonderful suggestions for protein intake, such as peanut butter, probars, jerky and so on. But I wonder what's a good way to get my vegetables in. What do you guys feel about vegetable powders? http://www.znaturalfoods.com/Vegetable-Leaf-Grass-Powders

Replies

• Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I'm all about them! I use a greens powder called Perfect Food made by Garden of Life, and I also use a completely raw vegan meal replacement powder called RAW Meal. Loaded with veggies and greens! Highly recommend both. My energy level is up thanks to them and my skin is clearer.
  • tacguy
    tacguy Posts: 196
    Options
    Shakeology may be an option as well.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Although powders might be good for nutrients ... don't forget the need for good ol' fashion fiber. Whenever possible do the real thing.
  • JasmineReeseII
    Options
    Thanks!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow! What an accomplishment. Have a great adventure!

If you are biking 50-60 miles per day, you are probably done by dinnertime and I imagine that you will have a sit down dinner. Try to make sure you have vegetables with dinner. Some people put spinach in eggs or smoothies for breakfast.

You can take baby carrots, pea pods and cut celery with you on the bike in a baggie with a little ice to keep them cool. I wouldn't recommend eating them while biking, but have them available when you take breaks.

Another idea is zucchini or carrot bread. It might get a little mushy, but it would probably still taste okay.