Do you recommend a Kettlebell ? Beginner Kind?

Options
dxtra30
dxtra30 Posts: 498 Member
I don't own one and am thinking about getting one.. Do you find them beneficial? If so what kind would you recommend for a beginner? I saw a brand called "Cap" on Amazon with good reviews.. Also for a beginner would you recommend a 15pd one?Any advice or tips on this would be great.. Thank you as always MFP'ers!

Replies

• dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hello' I started doing kettlebells,my son wanted me to try this so I bought a 15#. 10# 5# I picked them up at the aldi food store they came together for 24.00, and my son gave me the DVD ( art of strenght kettlebell training volume 1) its taught by Anthony Dilugilo he's one of americas top instructors ,My son teaches martial arts and does kettlebells also he keeps in shape by those round weights so good luck!
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Bump
  • rosichick
    rosichick Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to buy some, until i saw how much they cost, so i just bought dumbbells =) a 10 pound one. Now i use 15 pound dumbbells and i think they are the same =)
  • charl_hcafc
    Options
    I've got two, they are 7.5kg each, but I'd prefer dumbbells purely because they're easier to hold! Can't sling a kettlebell above your head for a triceps extension! :laugh:
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Thinking about a 5 - 10pd for a first time one..
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of kettlebell training you wish to do - The traditional Russian kettlebells lowest weigth is 8kg (ca 17lbs) and range upward to 70 lbs. I personally use mostly a 25-30lb bell, but for swinging will use a 35 or even a 50lb (I am female by the way)

When buying one, I would suggest looking for one where the handle is not coated in vinyl as it is easier to not loose grib, and also, if you stand it on the floor, it should stand flat.

I also suggest learning proper form so you do not get injured - a trainer, class, or youtube video, etc.

You can also get ligthter ones that come with dvd's etc. They generally get used more like dumbells in my opionion.
    Good luck
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yes, very much so!

I use a 15lb one, did my first kettlebell workout yesterday and I'm still feeling the soreness (which I haven't felt in months). Great feeling :)
  • Eureka175
    Eureka175 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I've got two, they are 7.5kg each, but I'd prefer dumbbells purely because they're easier to hold! Can't sling a kettlebell above your head for a triceps extension! :laugh:

Actually you can - its kind of amazing what you can do with them when you really get into them and learn how to use them in the traditional way-
  • Lt_Starbuck
    Lt_Starbuck Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    8K & 12K
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of kettlebell training you wish to do - The traditional Russian kettlebells lowest weigth is 8kg (ca 17lbs) and range upward to 70 lbs. I personally use mostly a 25-30lb bell, but for swinging will use a 35 or even a 50lb (I am female by the way)

When buying one, I would suggest looking for one where the handle is not coated in vinyl as it is easier to not loose grib, and also, if you stand it on the floor, it should stand flat.

I also suggest learning proper form so you do not get injured - a trainer, class, or youtube video, etc.

You can also get ligthter ones that come with dvd's etc. They generally get used more like dumbells in my opionion.
    Good luck

This!^ ...... you'll grow out of really light k-bells much too quickly

Grip is everything ....
  • dxtra30
    Options
    Thanks for more tips!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Michelle Khai Kettlenetics Dvd and it comes with a lightweight Kettlebell and I also purchased a 18 lb Apollo Kettlebell and really like that one
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    20 funt if you must. But also have a one pood kettlebell available for the heavier moves.
  • cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I use apollo kettlebells and mainly train on a 35lb one and moving up to 44lbs. I would definitely learn proper form and wouldn't go too light on the kettlebell weight. Maybe try starting with 20?