How do you get motivated?

Happy Friday all! :)

I am one of those people who fell off the wagon, tripped over the rock, and just laid in the mud puddle when it comes to exercising. I don't know about you all but I can't seem to find the motivation to want to do it.
Yes, I want to lose weight and yes I want to live a nice long time so why is it so hard to get out of the mud puddle?
I have several work out videos from Rodney Yi's yoga classes, Mari Windsor's Pilates and Jillian's get fit or die style dvds but I can't stick with any of them past 3 or 4 days.
My husband thinks I need to find an exercise that I like, but that is the problem. I don't like any of it. I do occasionally use my elliptical but it is o c c a s i o n a l. I'm terribly bored using it. I've tried reading the nook while on it but all the up & down makes for poor concentration on both fronts & my phone (for the I <3 radio app) won't hold a charge for the 60 minutes that I am on the machine. I almost feel like I need to be held accountable to someone but my poor hubby doesn't have the heart to yell at me and make me get my butt in gear.

I realize that I am self sabotaging but I am having troubles breaking that ugly cycle. All this stop and go with trying to get myself in gear is hard on the mind and heart and it makes me feel like a horribly selfish person.

So my question to all of you is how do you find the motivation to do the things that you know you need to do but have no desire to do at all? 30 days makes a habit but what if you can't even make it a week? :(

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
Take Care!

Replies

• alijane9
    alijane9 Posts: 67 Member
    I quite enjoyed reading that... I'm terminally lazy I've discovered, so I'd be in that puddle with you I think! But, I do quite enjoy my weight lifting and as a bit of gym hater, that's a miracle. Why? Cos I only do a few exercises and I'm in and out of the gym in less than an hour (I'm trying out the NROLFW programme). I only go twice a week - I sat down and really thought about how often I could face going, and apparently that was twice... Every week I think about going for a swim or walk and so will try and do that once too (I couldn't be bothered to swim today, so I'll try and walk tomorrow).

So, my lazy motivational tip is to think about the absolute minimum that you can possibly try to stick to and give it a go. If that is 10 mins walking around the block every Saturday, that's better than sitting on the sofa. 15 mins on the uppy-downy elliptical twice a week? better than 60 in one hit... After you've done that for a while, you may decide you want to do some more...you don't have to be all super fit and healthy right now, could you just work towards it slowly?
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Try something outdoors, buy a bike and ride around the neighborhood to start for an example. Start a video blog about your journey and you can get followers that will hold you accountable week after week and look to you for motivation as you are looking to us for motivation. You dont have to start with exercise right away, start with your diet, eating healthier. Once you drop weight with your eating habits changed, that may motivate you to go even further and add exercise into that success.

I know its hard. I've been there. You have to dig deep. But only you can make yourself get up and do these things, no matter how much motivation you feel from others. Good luck!
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Just do it. Exercise is like brushing your teeth, you don't want to do it, but you know you should. Plan what you are going to do and when you are going to do it. Personally, its too easy for me to say I will workout "later". If I say I am going to workout at 5pm, I am more likely to do it.

I like to exercise first thing in the morning because then it is done and I have a sense of accomplishment for the rest of the day. But many times, getting out of bed is the hardest part and I have to just get up and get coffee before I think about exercising.

Don't think about exercise you like or don't like. Most of the times when I go running, especially at the beginning, I don't want to be there and I don't like it, but by the time I am done, I am glad that I did it.

Have you tried downloading books or podcasts to listen to when you are on the elliptical? A good book can really help pass the time.

Can you join a class at a local gym? When I pay for and commit to something, I am more likely to go. Also, I've met some of my best friends in classes in the gym and that makes it a lot easier to go.

And some days you are going to hate working out, but do it anyway and pat yourself on the back for just getting off the couch.
  • olDave
    olDave Posts: 557 Member
    I never do things (like running) that I know I do not enjoy. I incorporate some physical activity into my normal daily lifestyle. For instance, I park my car as far from the store entrance as I can and walk. On nice days I ride my bicycle to work or walk to work. I'm not going to run a marathon nor do I need to look like a body-builder, so why kill myself? My main activities are riding my bicycle and hiking. None of it is over strenuous and I enjoy both because I'm out in the fresh air seeing beautiful scenery.

As for weightloss and eating, I simply count calories and eat the foods I like. My weight loss has been steady and I'm in no big hurry to lose it. After all...I didn't gain it overnight...I won't lose it overnight. I try to enjoy THIS day as much as possible. I see no reason to risk spoiling what may be my last day.

Hope this helps.
    Good luck.
  • Seachele28
    Seachele28 Posts: 10 Member
    Thanks! That could work. I was trying to figure out how many miles on the elliptical per week would count as a good starting point. Apparently that number for me is about 7 miles- but it's 7 miles on the #5 incline so that has to count for something right? right?
    I don't mind doing it for 60 minutes so long as I have something else to occupy my mind :) Otherwise my pace slows up and I get the "frumpy lumpy stomp pft forget this stomp" going. It's really not cute.
  • 10kaday
    10kaday Posts: 177
    I think of exercise as a requirement (not an option). What are other requirements in your life? You must eat food to live. You must drink water to keep your body hydrated. You must sleep to rest your body. You must shower to avoid stinking and keeping yourself clean. You must brush your teeth/floss to keep your teeth healthy. What happens if you stop any of these activities? You answer that. Fitness is not as obvious, but over time you become unheatlhy and overweight and start to have lots of medical issues that can simply be avoided by taking care of yourself. Many mornings I wake up and feel like staying nice and warm and not getting out of bed to go workout. However, on most days, I do it, because I think of it as a requirement vrs an option. You just gotta force yourself into a routine and like the Nike add.... just do it! Set goals and try to keep up and do a little bit more each week. Choose your hard.... do you want to be lazy and get even fatter and have to go through life with all kinds of medical problems as you continue to get older? Or do you want to get healthy, and force yourself to workout a little bit each day, and ultimately start feeling better. Once you get into the swing of things it's not that big of a deal. You'll feel so much better and your life will be more rewarding if you choose healthy life vrs an unhealthy one. I guess to answer your question.... knowing that I can avoid many health problems is my motivation. Now that I've lost the weight I feel so much better. I never want to go back to the way it was before. So... I just do it!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Try and incorporate exercise into something you enjoy, something fun. Keep trying different sports until you find something you love. Try doing exercise outside where there is more stimulus, you can look around you rather than at a TV screen or a wall in a gym. Make sure you have a good playlist on your iPod. The times I have to do the gym I put my favourite music on and I breeze through.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Pretty much my Dr. told me if I didn't get my **** together I was well on my way to being a statistic...motivation enough for me.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    One way to stay motivated that worked for me... take photos.. after seeing the ugly back fat and rolls disappear within 1.5 months of hard work to my now photo - that keeps me hella motivated.

Music is also another motivator.. if you have a favourite genre of music that gets you moving, listen to it while you work out!

I never want to go back to looking how I did - I was so unhealthy and even though right now I weigh 13-14lbs less than I did then, I can do so much more in my life. You have to tell yourself over and over that the limited time you work out is worth the effort. I make fitness my me time as a Mom of two - it's mandatory. Doesn't matter if it's at night or during the morning - it just has to be done and like others explained, it's like a ritual, like going to the bathroom, eating, sleeping.
  • Bownzi
    Bownzi Posts: 423 Member
    I have found this site if you keep logging in and a workout friend....keeps me motivated..
  • TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    I need some sort of structured plan and for a person or program to tell me what to do. My journey to where I am now began with a c25k program on my phone. However, I never felt like I was progressing adequately so I looked into local gyms and decided that I would probably do best in a class environment based on how well I stuck to the c25k when otherwise I usually fell off the wagon regularly. I was right. I had never really been an exercise class guy before but now I am completely 100% sold. Classes seem to go by much more quickly than if you exercise on your own. And when I try to do an hour at home doing the same activities, I fail out pretty early (do too few reps, figure I've done enough, etc.)

I also make sure that I enjoy the classes I take - though Yoga is hit or miss some days. I've tried classes that just didn't do it for me -- for example, I'm totally NOT on board with the classes where they base your pace and give you instructions based on music.

As an aside, I think I've also been able to stay motivated because I take Brazilian JiuJitsu. First off, it's weird and fun. But more importantly, through the constant positions you find yourself in when you are new, you learn how to cope with being extremely uncomfortable and learn the difference between bending and breaking. It has helped me immensely with my other workout routines because minor aches and pains and boredom are kind of moot to me now because I regularly experience REAL discomfort and have to improvise and work my way out of it.

The worst wagon fall-off I had was after hernia surgery. It just was so hard to get back into things after being unable to do much of anything for 2 months.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Not too intense, I love the Leslie Sansone Walking dvds.. you do them indoors so come rain or shine they can be done - you can do as many miles as you feel you can do.. I have started jogging on the spot to the 10 min ones to give me a little xtra .. just my two penneth !!
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,863 Member
    love this quote, I try not to think about it, I just get up and do it, some days I love exercise, others I hate it.
    7-Muhammad-Ali_zps1b0e774a.jpg
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    I can relate to being bored by straight exercise. I'd rather chop wood and carry water, so it is not like I want to live like a slug. Rather, I like work that matters. I was already walking our dog 2-3x daily, but I needed toning.

My solution--since there was not snow to shovel everyday was to committ to a very short workout time. I set the clock and when it went off I was done--no matter what. bathroom breaks, letting the cats out-in. I soon learned to stick with the exercising for that 20 minutes, because it did not last very long.

I started loosing weight (from dieting) and inches (from dieting & the little toning I was doing) which made me impatient to lose more. First I had to decide to double my workout time and figure out from what other part of the day I could transfer the time. You see, I still regarded exercise as self-centered low value-added time allotment. Half the solution was to purchase a rebounder(mini-trampoline) at a discounted $ and some 2lb wts, The other half of the solution was to transfer my 1hr evening news-editorial show to viewing it recorded the following morning.

Exercising dampened my am appetite and my waist started dumping inches along with better wkly wt loss. Besides, the exercise endorphins started kicking in midday (hours after exercising). I began looking forward to my next workout!???

Soon I was setting aside an hour--besides the recorded show with the commercials left in place was an hour anyway. I used the last 10 minutes of the hour for cool down stretch and some center core exercises.

I am getting myself deeper into this. but I am sticking to 60 minutes. I work the rebounding with intensity and greater weights now that I am stronger and have shortened it to 45 minutes, so that I could add 5 minutes to my floor workout. I am actively searching through You-tube looking for back fat, hip&leg, more core, arm, exercises that I will rotate through 6days a week, so I can keep it to 15 minutes

In sum, the first step in motvation was making exercising tolerable. The second step was positive results from efforts that pushed me to bump-up my exercise routine. The third was when the endorphins kicked-in. The fourth was loosing a quiet fear that exercise would take over my life--because Intensity and spacing out muscle groups is proving to be an effective way to manage exercise in an hour, 6 days a week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

So my question to all of you is how do you find the motivation to do the things that you know you need to do but have no desire to do at all? 30 days makes a habit but what if you can't even make it a week? :(

Thanks in advance for any advice :)
    Take Care!

Stand in front of a full length mirror in your underwear.... Happy? No? Go work out....! Works for me!
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Bump