Body Fat Estimation - Experts Weigh in

Options
Hey all,

Is there someone on here that is good at eyeballing body-fat percentage levels. I'm having a hard time seeing if mine is correct. I have a Tanita hand-held bioelectrical impedance type of device. It says that I'm 37.9%, at 5 feet 8.5 inches and 223 lbs., that is 84.5 lbs. of fat and 138.5 lbs of lean mass. I can 1RM Bench Press 200 lbs., and before my herniated discs, I would do 800 lb leg-presses, 2 sets of 10.

If I want to be a very fit 20%, that means that I would need to weigh 173 lbs. with the same level of lean mass. I do lift weights to maintain whatever muscle I have. I don't do squats or leg-presses anymore because of three herniated discs, just body weight squats. I feel like my upper body is pretty thin, but my abdomen is where I hold a lot of fat. I do quite a bit of cardio now to help burn calories. One hour on the elliptical three times a week, (incline 10, resistance 6, averaging 150 - 160 strides per minute), plus several 30 min. walks a week.

When I look at websites that show what other women look like at my height and weight, I think they look better than me. They wear a smaller size pants than me too. Usually my waist is the problem, and the legs are too loose. I also have a really flabby belly...especially since having my two children and getting up to 260 lbs. at my starting point on this website. I always thought that muscle weighs more than fat, so I thought I would look thinner than other women that are in the 220's...but that's not the case. Maybe something is wrong with me? Lol!

If I post some pics, could someone with expertise (or is at least experienced enough) estimate what they think I am? I'm actually thinking it's higher than 37.9 % because of my belly, but I think I have a lot of muscle....so I don't know?

Thanks

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Photo estimation of anything over 30% for women and 20% for men is near impossible. To estimate from photos you need to have some details.

Tape measure estimates are probably your best bet.
  • Farrahrm
    Farrahrm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks:

Waist: 47"
    Hips: 50"
    Thigh: 28.5"
    Neck: 14.5"
    Upper Arm: 16"
    Wrist: 7"
    Calf: 17.75
    Forearm: 12"

and a couple pics just in case it helps at all?

IMG_1308_zps34e8b4c3.jpgIMG_1307_zpse2b746d2.jpg
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Well, with those #'s, the Navy formula gives 56%, the YMCA formula gives 45%, so chances are the 37.9% your scale gives is low.

Here's a good link that has all the well known tape measure formulas:
    http://cwanamaker.hubpages.com/hub/Five-Methods-to-Calculate-your-Body-Fat-Percentage-by-Using-a-Tape-Measure
  • dogwalk
    dogwalk Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everyone thinks that muscle weighs more than fat,but a pound is a pound no matter what,what they mean is muscle is more compact than fat,so picture a 5 # bag of sugar,and and 5# of bran flakes which might be 4 boxes of cereal,can you see sugar and cereal might weigh the same but the cereal takes up twice as much rooom which is fat.Also the more muscle you have the better off we are because we burn more calories I hope that helped ,keep working out! Get strong !:smile:
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    I have a bod - pod measurement back when I was 234 that said I was 43.2%...so that would be 101.08 lbs of fat, 132.9 lbs of lean mass. If I've lost 9 pounds of fat, which I hope is the case since I'm trying to eat enough protein and lift... So would that be around 40% now? I don't even know if the bod-pod was accurate after reading some articles on the internet about how varied the reading could be?

Thanks btw for the tape measure site. Lots of good formulas.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I use this one: http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

Says you are at 56.3%

I would say that's pretty close and that your scale version is very off.
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    That last website can't be right for me...it says I need to weigh 134 pounds as my goal weight.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    I use this one: http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm

Says you are at 56.3%

I would say that's pretty close and that your scale version is very off.

Your Body Fat is 12.9% for me, yeah doubt that is accurate either lol.
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I haven't really found any good calculators. They are all so different. The formulas I use always put me between 38%-58% body fat, which is a huge difference.

I do find your measurements interesting considering your height and weight. I'm 5'7 and weigh 290, and my waist/hips/thighs are only about 2 inches bigger than yours, though you look thinner than me. I guess everyone is just different.

You sound like you are very strong though. Maybe don't worry about bf% until you can get it professionally tested? Knowing the number wouldn't really change what you do to get and stay fit.
  • Farrahrm
    Options
    That's what I mean...my midsection drives me nuts. I was wondering if the muscle on the inside was making my belly stick out more than it should or something. Even my mom isn't built like me. She's at her highest weight now of 182. She's 5'8.5 and wears a 10/12. I currently wear a 20/22. At this rate I'll be lucky to make it to a size 14 at my goal weight of 175.