Do you have ravenous days?

Options
I'm not sure how to respond to this feeling, but for the first time in a very long time, I woke up hungry today and have been ravenous all day. I've been trying to eat something healthy and satisfying every couple of hours. I did work out this morning, but not more than my normal. I haven't gone over on my calories today, but I'm very tempted because I'm just so darn hungry. I don't quite understand this. I've been doing this for 10 months now and don't ever remember waking up in the night hungry and being hungry all day even though I am eating. I've just come off a long (5 month) plateau and am now losing weight again (about 1.5 pounds a week for the last 3 weeks). I'm curious ... has anyone else had this happen where they just wake up ravenous? Did you listen to your body and feed it even if it meant going over on your calories for that day? I'm just trying to get a sense of how to listen to my body since I've probably never in my life truly gone hungry! :huh:

Replies

• Lightonmyfeet
    Options
    My stomach has been a bottomless pit the past few days!
    I first drink some water or tea. If I'm still hungry, I'll eat something healthy like fruit or nuts.
    Don't worry about calories, listen to your body.
  • hjmygatt
    hjmygatt Posts: 79
    Options
    I tend to get ravenous in the week leading up to my period, but it passes eventually!
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    its the half way curse! I am dealing with that now and I gained too! I hope you don't! chew gum drink lots of water but most important eat all your alloted calories!! it will pass I hope so anyway!! good luck!
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    YES! Some days all my body wants to do is eat eat eat eat.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    YES yesterday and today!! UGH! I just cant seem to eat enough! I am just trying to stay under my calories and deal with it! I have had more carbs than usual so I think that is why....the more carbs I eat, the more I want! :grumble:
  • pinkhockymom
    pinkhockymom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have had several of these days lately!!! I thought that I was the only one!! I try to eat as healthy as possible, but sometimes it is hard! Hang in there friend, this too shall pass!! Congrats on getting past the platau, those things really suck!!:wink:
  • tamalea
    tamalea Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    When I have days like this I eat the 100 calorie bags of popcorn with some ICBINB spray. It just seems to fill me up, if not one, the second one will.

I also like the chocolate vita tops heated up in the microwave for 30 seconds with some ff cool whip. Something about chocolate make me feel satisfied.

Luckily these days only seem to come every once in a while
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah right before shark week:grumble: I crave sweets especially chocolate and peanut butter and jelly. Also sometimes I get a craving for red meat or just a glass of milk and if I get a little the craving is satisfied so maybe my body was just asking for it. ?? Everybody gets that bottomless pit feeling from time to time.:smile:
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Perhaps I will try some 100 cal bag popcorn -- that might expand enough to fill the bottomless pit! I still have about 300 calories before I go over since I did work out today, but I want to make sure that if I eat those 300 calories that I'm not still craving for more. I can't really say that I'm even craving anything in particular and I know it's not that time of the month (too dang old for that)! I'm just hungry. Perhaps it is related to having just pushed through my long plateau. Maybe my body is trying to fight losing those 4 pounds after staying steady for 5 months!
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah right before shark week:grumble: I crave sweets especially chocolate and peanut butter and jelly. Also sometimes I get a craving for red meat or just a glass of milk and if I get a little the craving is satisfied so maybe my body was just asking for it. ?? Everybody gets that bottomless pit feeling from time to time.:smile:

LMAO...SHARK WEEK...please tell me that you mean exactly what I think you do??? Because I will DEF use that phrase for future explanations :)

I do have ravenous days too. I can knock those suckers right on their butt by two slices of sprouted whole wheat bread and an entire can (2 1/2 servings) of tuna packed in water (seasoned with mustard, not mayo or miracle whip) and it's low cal, high in fiber and low in fat! Keeps me feeling FULL to the brim for hours on end. Not to mention makes my stomach pooch and look like I am preggo, but whatever...at least I am not eating everything in the house. HAHAHAH!
  • Kelly11
    Kelly11 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Yep! Just finished off a bowl of cereal... :)
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I have had the munchies for the last four days.
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    YES YES YES I do!!

I find that its one of two things....TOM is coming (sorry boys..I know its too much info for you :blushing:) or its just my body trying to tell me I'm missing something. I'm learning to listen to my body...not the spur of the moment bad food cravings, but when I'm starving and nothing is helping, I have to really listen to figure out what I'm really wanting.

Usually protein does it for me or salt free pretzels with hummus.

Its totally normal IMHO
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Thanks ya'll. I'm glad I'm not the only one. Perhaps I will try some 100 cal bag popcorn -- that might expand enough to fill the bottomless pit! I still have about 300 calories before I go over since I did work out today, but I want to make sure that if I eat those 300 calories that I'm not still craving for more. I can't really say that I'm even craving anything in particular and I know it's not that time of the month (too dang old for that)! I'm just hungry. Perhaps it is related to having just pushed through my long plateau. Maybe my body is trying to fight losing those 4 pounds after staying steady for 5 months!

I have days like this - more lately than in the beginning. I tend to give in to my body on these days - one day isn't going to ruin my progress.

If you need popcorn, go in the bottom right drawer of my desk. :wink:
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options
    I tend to get ravenous in the week leading up to my period, but it passes eventually!

Totally agree with this one! That is exactly how I am! If there is one day that is especially hard for me to control the hunger, I do give in and eat. I know my body is telling me that I'm hungary. So I feed it, but I try to make up for it either later in the day or the next. Just so I haven't completely fallen off the wagon.
  • tkrall
    tkrall Posts: 109
    Options

Shark week! That is great!! LMAO
  • cerdmann
    cerdmann Posts: 60
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Glad to hear I'm not alone. It's much better today. I did stay under my calorie goal yesterday but went over on carbs and protein. Must have been what my body needed cause I'm my normal self today.
  • jodieunited
    jodieunited Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i usually feel really hungry around 4pm....find drinking water helps...its normally thirst not hunger like 80% of the time
  • confuseacat
    confuseacat Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah!lol shark week is exactly what you ladies are thinkin'. I laugh when discovery or animal planet advertises shark week :laugh: don't go in the water :wink: